    How can I find this guy now? A port scanner? What tool to use?

    Cheers,

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Mauricio Freitas

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 13:55:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Bought a D-LINK and sent it back to Tech Pac - absolutely %&^%$^. Bought a
    > Belkin instead, but it's in back order, and I need a router with four LAN
    > ports *and* wireless.
    >
    > Went to DSE, bought their 802.11g Access Point for this weekend, since it's
    > urgent. I've plugged it into my LAN and I can connect to it, and get an
    > address assigned - from my Belkin router (192.168.2.x range). Now I can't
    > see the DSE wi-fi AP in my network. The manual says 192.168.1.250 but
    > there's nothing on this address. I take the DSE got an address assigned when
    > I plugged it, but it's not showing in my Belkin logs.
    >
    > How can I find this guy now? A port scanner? What tool to use?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Check your netmask you wont see it on 255.255.255.0 but will on 255.255.0.0
    Collector_NZ, Jul 9, 2004

  3. "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 13:55:
    >
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > Bought a D-LINK and sent it back to Tech Pac - absolutely %&^%$^. Bought

    > > Belkin instead, but it's in back order, and I need a router with four

    LAN
    > > ports *and* wireless.
    > >
    > > Went to DSE, bought their 802.11g Access Point for this weekend, since

    it's
    > > urgent. I've plugged it into my LAN and I can connect to it, and get an
    > > address assigned - from my Belkin router (192.168.2.x range). Now I

    can't
    > > see the DSE wi-fi AP in my network. The manual says 192.168.1.250 but
    > > there's nothing on this address. I take the DSE got an address assigned

    when
    > > I plugged it, but it's not showing in my Belkin logs.
    > >
    > > How can I find this guy now? A port scanner? What tool to use?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >

    > Check your netmask you wont see it on 255.255.255.0 but will on

    255.255.0.0

    Ooops. My fault. My router is on 192.168.2.1, and the AP is on
    192.168.2.250... all my LAN is on 192.168.2.x so I've just changed one
    computer to have a fix IP and managed to get to the AP.

    Thanks.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Mauricio Freitas

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 14:14:

    > "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 13:55:
    >>

    >>>Hello!
    >>>
    >>>Bought a D-LINK and sent it back to Tech Pac - absolutely %&^%$^. Bought

    >>>Belkin instead, but it's in back order, and I need a router with four

    > LAN
    >
    >>>ports *and* wireless.
    >>>
    >>>Went to DSE, bought their 802.11g Access Point for this weekend, since

    > it's
    >
    >>>urgent. I've plugged it into my LAN and I can connect to it, and get an
    >>>address assigned - from my Belkin router (192.168.2.x range). Now I

    > can't
    >
    >>>see the DSE wi-fi AP in my network. The manual says 192.168.1.250 but
    >>>there's nothing on this address. I take the DSE got an address assigned

    > when
    >
    >>>I plugged it, but it's not showing in my Belkin logs.
    >>>
    >>>How can I find this guy now? A port scanner? What tool to use?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>

    >>Check your netmask you wont see it on 255.255.255.0 but will on

    > 255.255.0.0
    >
    > Ooops. My fault. My router is on 192.168.2.1, and the AP is on
    > 192.168.2.250... all my LAN is on 192.168.2.x so I've just changed one
    > computer to have a fix IP and managed to get to the AP.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Figured you had a little bo bo there, mind you even an MVP can get confused
    about nets and subnets -:)
    Collector_NZ, Jul 9, 2004
  5. "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 14:14:
    > > Ooops. My fault. My router is on 192.168.2.1, and the AP is on
    > > 192.168.2.250... all my LAN is on 192.168.2.x so I've just changed one
    > > computer to have a fix IP and managed to get to the AP.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Figured you had a little bo bo there, mind you even an MVP can get

    confused
    > about nets and subnets -:)

    That's right... Mind you, I'm with Mobile Devices, you know those Pocket PC
    and CE devices, mobility, etc - not the network type of guy :)

    Thanks!

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 9, 2004
  6. Mauricio Freitas

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 15:58:

    > "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 14:14:
    >>
    >>>Ooops. My fault. My router is on 192.168.2.1, and the AP is on
    >>>192.168.2.250... all my LAN is on 192.168.2.x so I've just changed one
    >>>computer to have a fix IP and managed to get to the AP.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Figured you had a little bo bo there, mind you even an MVP can get

    > confused
    >
    >>about nets and subnets -:)

    > That's right... Mind you, I'm with Mobile Devices, you know those Pocket PC
    > and CE devices, mobility, etc - not the network type of guy :)
    >
    > Thanks!

    What is your opinion of the IPAQ range, I am considering a change to IPAQ from Palm
    Collector_NZ, Jul 9, 2004
  7. "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas said the following on 9/07/2004 15:58:
    >
    > > "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message

    > >>Figured you had a little bo bo there, mind you even an MVP can get

    > > confused
    > >
    > >>about nets and subnets -:)

    > > That's right... Mind you, I'm with Mobile Devices, you know those Pocket

    PC
    > > and CE devices, mobility, etc - not the network type of guy :)
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > What is your opinion of the IPAQ range, I am considering a change to IPAQ

    from Palm

    The best Pocket PC available. Not comparing Pocket PC and Palm (read this
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2714).

    The iPAQ h4150 is one of the best Pocket PC around. Small, light, wi-fi and
    Bluetooth, SD card. Pocket Internet Explorer is quite good, with CSS and
    (some) Javascript support. Better than Clie's Netfront (although Netfron on
    the Pocket PC is the best mobile browser around).

    However things will change, soon, for better. Can't say much more or the
    Gods of NDA will catch me.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 9, 2004
  8. Mauricio Freitas

    steve Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Bought a D-LINK and sent it back to Tech Pac - absolutely %&^%$^. Bought a
    > Belkin instead, but it's in back order, and I need a router with four LAN
    > ports *and* wireless.
    >
    > Went to DSE, bought their 802.11g Access Point for this weekend, since
    > it's urgent. I've plugged it into my LAN and I can connect to it, and get
    > an address assigned - from my Belkin router (192.168.2.x range). Now I
    > can't see the DSE wi-fi AP in my network. The manual says 192.168.1.250
    > but there's nothing on this address. I take the DSE got an address
    > assigned when I plugged it, but it's not showing in my Belkin logs.
    >
    > How can I find this guy now? A port scanner? What tool to use?
    >
    > Cheers,

    The manual tells you how to reset the DSE AP to factory defaults. If there
    is any chance the unit was a shop demo (almost 100% at DSE)...then you may
    need to reset it.

    Your own system needs to be in the 192.168.1.* address range to be able to
    see it (assuming a 255.255.255.0 netmask).

    Try plugging your PC directly into the AP via an ethernet cable....(and use
    a static 192.168.1.6 (or similar) address on your PC).

    You should see it. You do have to use the cable that comes with the AP.

    My DSE wireless AP is plugged into an 8-port 100mbps switch....as is my DSE
    ADSL router.....I have some PCs wired (in the office)....and some not (in
    other rooms).

    I changed my AP address to 192.168.1.4.
    steve, Jul 9, 2004