DSE weird pricing....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
    trainer (sorry laser pointer)....

    The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x $6.90
    = $20.70)

    Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98 with
    3 of the button cells included...
    (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43780fd507c37d362741c0a87f990718/Product/View/T2903)

    Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type of
    button cells.
    (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.p...18&site=&w=blue led pen&submit.x=7&submit.y=5)

    The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
    button cells.....

    So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76 and
    two novelty pens...

    The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed out/asked
    why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells costs $4.88...

    ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Max Burke

    EMB Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
    > trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
    >
    > The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
    > $6.90 = $20.70)
    >
    > Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98
    > with 3 of the button cells included...
    > (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43780fd507c37d362741c0a87f990718/Product/View/T2903)
    >

    > Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type
    > of button cells.
    > (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.p...18&site=&w=blue led pen&submit.x=7&submit.y=5)
    >

    > The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
    > button cells.....
    >
    > So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76
    > and two novelty pens...
    >
    > The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
    > out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells
    > costs $4.88...

    Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Max Burke

    XPD Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    No, just typical DSE.

    In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
    our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy there
    said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
    wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we needed.
    I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
    :p

    XPD, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Max Burke

    Jerry Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.
    >>
    >>--
    >>EMB

    > No, just typical DSE.
    >
    > In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
    > our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy there
    > said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
    > wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we needed.
    > I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    > good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
    > :p

    A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

    Jerry, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > EMB scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my
    >> cat/dog trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
    >> The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3
    >> x $6.90 = $20.70)
    >> Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost
    >> $19.98 with 3 of the button cells included...
    >> (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43780fd507c37d362741c0a87f990718/Product/View/T2903)
    >> Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same
    >> type of button cells.
    >> (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.p...18&site=&w=blue led pen&submit.x=7&submit.y=5)
    >> The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3
    >> spare button cells.....
    >> So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for
    >> $9.76 and two novelty pens...
    >> The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
    >> out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button
    >> cells costs $4.88...

    > Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

    The DSE website says they're $5.86 each....

    But then the DSE pen/batteries are still cheaper that the Jaycar bulk buy
    price, 82c each ($9.76 / 12 if you/I consider the pen free) as opposed to
    the Jaycar price of $1.30 each for 15 or more.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:43:00 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    > good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
    > :p

    My current 'thing to do when bored' is to go to one of the local DSE's and
    ask the sales person "What chipset is the onboard WiFi on <blah> laptop
    (which is sitting on their display shelf)"
    _EVERY_ time so far Ive been told 802.11b and/or 802.11g
    When I did it this morning the weirdo salesboy insisted I had no idea what
    I was asking
    Interestingly I tried this game at Bond & Bond in town, and they read
    their spec sheet, and said "802.11b & g" then followed that up with.. well
    that doesnt tell us anything does it
    /me was impressed, especially considering Bond & Bond aint a geek shop

    Shane, Nov 14, 2005
  7. Max Burke

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:21:10 +1300, "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
    >trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
    >
    >The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x $6.90
    >= $20.70)
    >
    >Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98 with
    >3 of the button cells included...
    >(http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43780fd507c37d362741c0a87f990718/Product/View/T2903)
    >
    >Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type of
    >button cells.
    >(http://dse.resultspage.com/search.p...18&site=&w=blue led pen&submit.x=7&submit.y=5)
    >
    >The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
    >button cells.....
    >
    >So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76 and
    >two novelty pens...
    >
    >The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed out/asked
    >why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells costs $4.88...
    >
    >;-)

    The $2 shop was selling some type but it might just be the LR44, but be
    careful the LR is a Alkaline and the SR is a Silver oxide battery, that lasts
    a lot longer.

    Also try any Supermarket & warehouse Stationery

    XP, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Max Burke

    XPD Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > > In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord

    for
    > > our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy

    there
    > > said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
    > > wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we

    needed.
    > > I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    > > good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell

    it
    > > :p
    > >

    > A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

    Yup, exactly :)

    XPD, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Mark Robinson, Nov 14, 2005
  10. Max Burke

    EMB Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
    > it's going to work isn't it.

    Probably..... but if you've got a WAP with the same chipset as the
    laptop you've got an extra bit of certainty about it's performance.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Jerry wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

    >> No, just typical DSE.
    >> In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
    >> our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy
    >> there
    >> said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
    >> wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we
    >> needed.
    >> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    >> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont
    >> sell it

    > A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

    Wasn't there a bit of a hoohaa a while ago when Sony recalled the mains cables
    due to a tendency to halt and catch fire ...

    Mark Robinson, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Max Burke

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2005
  13. Max Burke

    Jerry Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, just typical DSE.
    >>> In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord
    >>> for
    >>> our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy
    >>> there
    >>> said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
    >>> wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we
    >>> needed.
    >>> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
    >>> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont
    >>> sell it

    >> A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

    > Wasn't there a bit of a hoohaa a while ago when Sony recalled the mains
    > cables due to a tendency to halt and catch fire ...

    That was the slim PS2 that used an external power supply, not the mains
    cable. XPD and I are talking about the mains cable for the old PS2,
    which uses a standard figure 8 cable.

    Jerry, Nov 14, 2005
  14. Max Burke

    stevesub Guest

    Recently bought a PCI 4 port USB card. DSE was $60 so I bought one off
    eBay for $11 delivered - worked fine but had to wait a week before it
    arrived.

    Also just bought a $25 book on eBay for $10 - delivered and was brand
    new.

    We love eBay.

    Stevesub

    stevesub, Nov 14, 2005
  15. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
    > it's going to work isn't it.

    Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
    Driver compatibility.
    Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
    (for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
    So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
    I can run <distro of choice> on it
    If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

    Shane, Nov 14, 2005
  16. Max Burke

    Peter Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
    > trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
    >
    > The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
    > $6.90 = $20.70)

    DSE will charge what they think the market will stand for any item. For
    example once upon a time printer cables were $50 (and ribbon cable and
    plugs to 'roll your own' not much less). A computer shop had them for $25.

    Similarly a blank card plate cost a fortune at DSE but could be got cheaply
    from a computer shop as they had a box full of surplus ones.

    In the bad old days of sales tax, batteries were taxed rather heavily.
    Hearing aid batteries were exempt, so the cheapest source for some
    batteries was a chemists shop (which are not usually noted for low prices).

    Therefore shop around.

    Peter, Nov 14, 2005
  17. Max Burke

    MarkH Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in news::

    > Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
    > trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
    >
    > The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
    > $6.90
    >= $20.70)
    >
    > Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98
    > with 3 of the button cells included...
    > (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43780fd507c37d362741c0a87f
    > 990718/Product/View/T2903)
    >
    > Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same
    > type of button cells.
    > (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid=43780fd507c37d362741c0
    > a87f990718&site=&w=blue+led+pen&submit.x=7&submit.y=5)
    >
    > The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3
    > spare button cells.....
    >
    > So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for
    > $9.76 and two novelty pens...
    >
    > The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
    > out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button
    > cells costs $4.88...

    And you verified that the cells in the pen were identical to the separate
    ones that they were selling? Same brand? Same chemistry? Same capacity?
    Same shelf life?

    Let's face it - the cells in the pen could be 50c cells and the cells sold
    separately could be $1.50 cells. And of course DSE do have quite a large
    markup on some of the small stuff, like a $3 ($4 at most) cable (3.5mm
    stereo plug to 2 x RCA plugs) for $15.90. If you don't like it then shop
    around. I went into DSE looking for a Mod Tap (Telecom socket to RJ45
    plug) and it was $19.80, I didn't buy it because I can get one for $3.50 +
    GST from a wholesaler.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 14, 2005
  18. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:52:27 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
    >

    >> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
    >> it's going to work isn't it.

    > Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
    > Driver compatibility.
    > Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
    > (for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
    > So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
    > I can run <distro of choice> on it
    > If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

    FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
    linux has ndiswrapper
    They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

    shannon, Nov 14, 2005
  19. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:11:58 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:52:27 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
    >>> it's going to work isn't it.

    >> Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
    >> Driver compatibility.
    >> Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
    >> (for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
    >> So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
    >> I can run <distro of choice> on it
    >> If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

    > FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
    > linux has ndiswrapper
    > They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

    Ta,
    I had been under the impression there were still limitations with
    ndiswrapper, and some chipsets werent supported, or werent at 100%

    Shane, Nov 14, 2005
  20. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:11:58 +1300, shannon wrote:

    >>>Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
    >>>Driver compatibility.
    >>>Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
    >>>(for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
    >>>So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
    >>>I can run <distro of choice> on it
    >>>If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

    >>FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
    >>linux has ndiswrapper
    >>They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

    > Ta,
    > I had been under the impression there were still limitations with
    > ndiswrapper, and some chipsets werent supported, or werent at 100%

    There are a lot of variables.
    Having a look at the driver or config utility in Windows could help
    identify it faster than asking a salesman.
    For Atheros chipsets there is the madwifi driver project. Atheros seems
    pretty popular for laptop integrated wifi.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005