    for 5 metres?

    Andrew

    , Dec 18, 2004

  2. Gurble Guest

    On 18 Dec 2004 14:42:28 -0800, had this to say:

    >I just bought a Dick Smith Active USB Extender cable (5 metres) which I
    >want to use with my webcam, and all of a sudden I've been getting the
    >old blue screen of death (3 times in 2 days, hasn't happened since I
    >stopped using the cable yesterday).
    >
    >Is this just a coincidence or could a simple USB cable be causing my PC
    >to crash? I've never had a blue screen of death under XP before either
    >so this is pretty unusual.

    Yes, a faulty USB device (or drivers for such) can cause a BSOD.
    Sounds like it's faulty.

    >Also, do you actually need an 'active' cable or will a 'passive' one do
    >for 5 metres?

    According to the USB specs, you do need an "active" cable for 5M, as
    it strengthens and repeats the signal.

    In the real world, however, you can sometimes get away without one.
    Depends entirely on the device, power requirements, etc.

    I would first try getting a replacement active cable, and if you have
    the same problems, get one from somewhere else. If that doesn't work,
    try using just a standard cable.

    HTH

    Gurble, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Gurble Guest