    Dumdedo Guest

    Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?

    Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Dumdedo

    XPD Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >
    > Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    Friend of mine used his staff discount to get me some DSL filters a few
    years ago.. he saved about $0.40c off each one.... obviously staff and
    trade discounts mean sfa with them :)

    XPD, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Dumdedo

    Lebowski Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >..this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    ...and this is a blatant misuse of the word "misuse"

    Lebowski, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Dumdedo

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message

    > Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >
    > Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    It most likely depends what the profit margins are for each item, especially
    is the goods are already on a good special sale price.

    Still, if you don't want the goods then simply don't buy them, and just
    think what you'll save then.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 4, 2004
  5. In <3ff7795d$> XPD wrote:

    > "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >>
    >> Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word
    >> Trade..
    >>

    > Friend of mine used his staff discount to get me some DSL filters a
    > few years ago.. he saved about $0.40c off each one.... obviously
    > staff and trade discounts mean sfa with them :)

    It depends on the item. For any low-profit margin stuff like a lot of
    the consumer electronics (e.g. $97 DVD players) or computer equipment
    they sell, DSE offers little or no trade discount. On the other hand, I
    regularly charge stuff to the work account rather than paying in store
    because for some stuff they do give a good discount. Sometimes the staff
    complain that we get a better price than they do!

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 4, 2004
  6. On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:22:10 +1300, "Lebowski"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >>..this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..
    >>

    >..and this is a blatant misuse of the word "misuse"

    Look, I've told you a million times -- don't exagerate!

    Bruce Simpson, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Dumdedo

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:46:07 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >
    > Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    Aren't they a retailer? Why would they have a "trade" rate at all?

    steve, Jan 4, 2004
  8. steve wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:46:07 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >

    >>Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >>
    >>Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    > Aren't they a retailer? Why would they have a "trade" rate at all?

    Some of their trade prices are worth it, I bought some coax and
    connectors the other day, cost me $5 with a trade card vs $15 without
    one. It's only "trade" items that have the bigger discounts. The
    "consumer" item discounts are pathetic, along with the quality of most
    of their parts.
    RS and Farnell are better sources for serious electronics ppl

    Graeme Woollett, Jan 4, 2004

  9. > steve wrote:
    >> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:46:07 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >>>
    >>>Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    >> Aren't they a retailer? Why would they have a "trade" rate at all?

    > Some of their trade prices are worth it, I bought some coax and
    > connectors the other day, cost me $5 with a trade card vs $15 without
    > one. It's only "trade" items that have the bigger discounts. The
    > "consumer" item discounts are pathetic, along with the quality of most
    > of their parts.
    > RS and Farnell are better sources for serious electronics ppl

    Perhaps if DSE were to be a bit more selective in issuing the trade cards
    - i.e., not giving them out to every Tom, Dick and weekend backyard
    soldering-iron jockey, they might be able to afford to give those who are
    genuinely in the trade a worthwhile discount.
    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Self-made man: A horrible example of unskilled labour.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 4, 2004
  10. On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:46:07 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?

    Sounds about right for DickHeadSmiths

    Their reseller rates aren't much better either.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 4, 2004
  11. On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 05:53:45 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > Sometimes the staff
    > complain that we get a better price than they do!

    This used to be the standard complaint for David Reid Staff.

    When DSE borged DavRed, the prices went up and quality went down. End
    result is that things are much the same as they were before 1981 when DSE
    showed up to challenge DavRed's domination of the retail market.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Dumdedo

    al Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    >
    >Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word Trade..

    This may also depend on the volume of your business. Bigger purchase,
    bigger discount (maybe).

    al, Jan 5, 2004
  13. Dumdedo

    Jay Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 05:53:45 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> Sometimes the staff
    >> complain that we get a better price than they do!

    > This used to be the standard complaint for David Reid Staff.
    >
    > When DSE borged DavRed, the prices went up and quality went down. End
    > result is that things are much the same as they were before 1981 when DSE
    > showed up to challenge DavRed's domination of the retail market.

    DSE is owned by Woolworths so what do you expect?

    Jay, Jan 5, 2004
  14. On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:10:49 +1100, Jay wrote:

    >> When DSE borged DavRed, the prices went up and quality went down. End
    >> result is that things are much the same as they were before 1981 when
    >> DSE showed up to challenge DavRed's domination of the retail market.

    > DSE is owned by Woolworths so what do you expect?

    Yes, and given that, why would Woger expect a trade discount?

    Funnily enough DSE's preices were pretty good when they first arrived,
    even if th4e quality was spotty and a lot of components were cheaper, with
    far less variation if sourced directly from Philips C&I in Lower Hutt (ie,
    for the price of 100 DSE resistors we could buy 1000 and get 5% metal film
    instead of assorted tolerances, manufacturers and wattages., ditt for
    leds, etc)

    As a reseller, we were more than happy that DSE didn't force us into any
    exclusivity contracts.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Dumdedo

    Ed the Med Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <3ff7795d$> XPD wrote:
    > >
    > > "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Seems to me all you get is a 1.35% Discount..?
    > >>
    > >> Is this correct, as to me this is a blatant miss use of the Word
    > >> Trade..
    > >>

    > > Friend of mine used his staff discount to get me some DSL filters a
    > > few years ago.. he saved about $0.40c off each one.... obviously
    > > staff and trade discounts mean sfa with them :)

    Yeah but on the other side of the coin I've paid $2.00 for a $29.95 PC cable
    at staff so it all evens out.

    > It depends on the item. For any low-profit margin stuff like a lot of
    > the consumer electronics (e.g. $97 DVD players) or computer equipment
    > they sell, DSE offers little or no trade discount. On the other hand, I
    > regularly charge stuff to the work account rather than paying in store
    > because for some stuff they do give a good discount. Sometimes the staff
    > complain that we get a better price than they do!

    The profitability of many products is simply nonexistent, while other
    products might have anything up to 1000%. The company's aim is typically to
    achieve an overall profitability of around 35-45%.

    You have to remember that trade and staff prices are 'cost + %
    profit-margin' structures, not 'retail - % discount', which is how
    purchasers tend to think of them.
    As a rough example, a 11c resistor might have an actual cost of 1c, retail
    at 1c+1000%, or 11c, while the trade price might be 1c+42% or 1.42c. Trade
    customer happy due to huge savings!

    Conversely a low-profit item such as a PC might have a cost of $1700+19.5%
    or $1999 to fit into the price-break it is advertised in or to compete in
    the market, while the trade mark-up remains at 42% making the Trade price of
    said PC 1700+42% or $2414.

    Typically Trade prices are automatically calculated by the POS system which
    can make them much less flexible then retail prices which are usually set by
    the product range buyer or similar. The buyer often offsets the lost
    profitability of one product line by redistributing it over other higher
    profit product lines.

    I constantly find the trade price rising above retail specials at
    Placemakers when I use my Tradecard for example. So it's not just
    electronics.

    ---

    Ed the Med, Jan 9, 2004
  16. Dumdedo

    David Butler Guest

    Yep, they give you trade prices and then add 12.5 % GST. so it can end up
    more than retail prices in some cases.

    David Butler, Jan 10, 2004