    thing Guest

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 7, 2004

  2. thing

    -[Myth]- Guest

    Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:56:01 +1200, thing wrote:

    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    exist though :p
    -[Myth]-, Sep 7, 2004

  3. thing

    EMB Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:

    > Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    > exist though :p

    Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    still under copyright.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Sep 7, 2004
  4. thing

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:46:57 +1200, in message
    <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    > > exist though :p

    > Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    > now wouldn't it?

    According to this govt website, only on vinyl released
    in 1953 or earlier.

    http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_prop/info-sheets/copyright-prot.html#P48_5553

    | How Long Does Protection Last?
    |
    | • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
    | fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
    | the sound recording or film was made or made available
    | to the public, whichever is the latter.

    > I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    > still under copyright.

    The same may not be true of 33's and 45's.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politics is the art of getting power and
    privilege without possessing merit.
    Ralph Fox, Sep 7, 2004
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:46:57 +1200, in message
    > <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB wrote:
    >

    >>-[Myth]- wrote:
    >>

    >>>Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    >>>exist though :p

    >>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    >>now wouldn't it?

    > According to this govt website, only on vinyl released
    > in 1953 or earlier.
    >
    > http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_prop/info-sheets/copyright-prot.html#P48_5553
    >
    > | How Long Does Protection Last?
    > |
    > | • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
    > | fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
    > | the sound recording or film was made or made available
    > | to the public, whichever is the latter.

    Some of Elvis's music is no longer covered by "Global" copyright, though
    in the US I believe its being extended effectively for ever so it is
    there. There seemed to be some concern that people could copy his work
    legally in Europe and export is to the US where it is not legal.

    In the US though there is the concept of fair use which allows copying
    from one media to another for personal use, in NZ this is or was not
    covered. Hence I was wondering if it now was, I recall some Govn Dept
    suggesting fair use be written into the copyright law and the big media
    concerns kicking up a fuss as it was not fair (somehow it being fair and
    allowed in the US escapes them!)

    Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,
    and some things less?

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 7, 2004
  6. thing

    Jamie Guest

    Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    thing

    what planet u living on?

    regards

    Jamie, Sep 7, 2004
  7. thing

    samg Guest

    Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    thing <> wrote in

    > In the US though there is the concept of fair use which allows copying
    > from one media to another for personal use, in NZ this is or was not
    > covered. Hence I was wondering if it now was, I recall some Govn Dept
    > suggesting fair use be written into the copyright law and the big media
    > concerns kicking up a fuss as it was not fair (somehow it being fair and
    > allowed in the US escapes them!)

    yeah that amazed me as well.
    samg, Sep 7, 2004
  8. In article <h3c%c.2454$>, thing <> was seen to type:

    Not at the moment IIRC. It's still a logical thing to do ... much of
    the vinyl is unobtainable now :)

    As usual, stupid laws will be ignored :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  9. In article <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB <> was seen to type:
    >-[Myth]- wrote:
    >> Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    >> exist though :p

    >Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    >now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    >still under copyright.

    <picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  10. In article <Uzd%c.2475$>, thing <> was seen to type:
    (snip)
    >Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,
    >and some things less?

    Stage shows can certainly have copyright extended ... gilbert and
    sullivan eg :)
    Still a 100 year max tho IIRC.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  11. Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    In article <mqa15pu4u8zb$>, Nicolaas Hawkins <> was seen to type:
    >On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:37:05 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    ><> wrote in
    >> In article <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB <> was seen

    > to type:
    >>>
    >>>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    >>>now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    >>>still under copyright.

    >> <picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    >> easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    >Basically shellac with a carbon black filler IIRC - BICBW. Abrasive as
    >hell.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    > In article <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB <> was seen to type:
    >>-[Myth]- wrote:
    >>> Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    >>> exist though :p

    >>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    >>now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    >>still under copyright.

    > <picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    > easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    Basically shellac with a carbon black filler IIRC - BICBW. Abrasive as
    hell.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Use a strong laxative to cure a bad cough. Makes you AFRAID to cough!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 8, 2004
  13. thing

    thing Guest

    Jamie wrote:
    > thing
    >
    > what planet u living on?

    and your comment is useful because?

    regards

    thing
    thing, Sep 8, 2004
  14. thing wrote:
    >> what planet u living on?

    > and your comment is useful because?

    he was just checking which planet you live on as the copyright law there
    may differ :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2004
  15. thing

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >>> what planet u living on?

    >> and your comment is useful because?

    > he was just checking which planet you live on as the copyright law
    > there may differ :)

    Probably the one where people used to record their LPs onto cassette tape in
    a foolish and misguided attempt to kill the recording industry and reduce
    supergroups and media moguls to abject poverty.
    theseus, Sep 8, 2004
  16. Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    In article <>, Invisible <> was seen to type:
    >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:47:54 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:37:05 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    >><> wrote in
    >>> In article <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB <> was seen

    > to type:

    >>> <picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    >>> easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    >>Basically shellac with a carbon black filler IIRC - BICBW. Abrasive as
    >>hell.

    >They made great frisbees if I remember right ;-0

    ... once :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  17. Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    In article <>, Mutlley <> was seen to type:
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>In article <chjlbj$n70$>, EMB <> was seen to

    > type:
    >>>
    >>>Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    >>>now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    >>>still under copyright.

    >><picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    >>easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    >Yep . There were 78s on vinyl up until about the mid 60s in the US..
    >You get the latest hit on vinyl 45 or 78..and colors other than
    >black..:)

    I have seen non black records .... but never 78s on vinyl. Neither did
    I see a 78 in the 60's ... other than the really old ones we had from
    the 40s ish :)

    Thanks

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  18. thing

    Invisible Guest

    Invisible, Sep 8, 2004
  19. thing

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Sep 8, 2004
  20. thing

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: DSE suggesting burning vinyl to cds, is that legal in NZ? I didnt think it was.

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:39:04 +1200, in message
    <Uzd%c.2475$>, thing wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_prop/info-sheets/copyright-prot.html#P48_5553
    > >
    > > | How Long Does Protection Last?
    > > |
    > > | • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
    > > | fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
    > > | the sound recording or film was made or made available
    > > | to the public, whichever is the latter.

    > Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,

    So you think the Ministry of Economic Development has it stated wrong
    on their website? Or, are you thinking of another country's laws?

    > and some things less?

    Indeed so.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 8, 2004