    1. Advertising

  2. lily

    Gary Guest

    Gary, Jul 22, 2003

  3. lily

    cowboyz Guest

    "lily" <> wrote in message
    news:FP0Ta.6413$...
    > Prices for a Wireless Router
    >
    > The DSE Australian site

    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c935803c2ba32273fc0a87f9c06f
    a/Product/View/XH1165
    > $A297
    >
    > The DSE NZ site

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c952a0249506a273fc0a87f9906b5
    /Product/View/XH8131
    > $NZ1151

    Here we go again.

    While your at it could you please tell me why I have to pay $250 pw for
    groceries when if I lived in India I could live for $10 /week?

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 22, 2003
  4. lily

    m00se Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Here we go again.
    >
    > While your at it could you please tell me why I have to pay $250 pw for
    > groceries when if I lived in India I could live for $10 /week?

    Dog meat is cheaper than beef??
    m00se, Jul 22, 2003
  5. lily

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, Jul 22, 2003
  6. lily

    lily Guest

    "forensic analysis" <look@me> wrote in message

    > If I can do a DI-624 D-Link AirPlus ExtremeGTM 11 / 54Mbps Wireless IP
    > Router for DSL/Cable Modems with 4-Port 10/100Mbps Switch for less than
    > $NZ360 inc GST, then prices aren't really that different between Australia
    > and New Zealand.
    >
    > Perhaps your "example" was more a case of apples and oranges...

    Perhaps your prices are cheaper than DSE nz, and you have a better idea of
    what your customers need.
    lily, Jul 22, 2003
  7. lily

    Who is this Guest

    In article <FP0Ta.6413$>, "lily" <>
    wrote:

    > Prices for a Wireless Router
    >
    > The DSE Australian site
    > http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c935803c2ba32273fc0a87f9c06fa/
    > Product/View/XH1165
    > $A297
    >
    > The DSE NZ site
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c952a0249506a273fc0a87f9906b5/P
    > roduct/View/XH8131
    > $NZ1151

    Did you know thyat the price for a toyota carolla in australia is so
    much cheaper than the rolls- royce here in NZ that it is conclusive
    proof that we are being ripped off on the price of cars too.

    Perhaps you should look at
    Brands
    Functionality (one modem was dual band wireless...guess which one)
    Convert the AU$ to NZ$
    Add in volume discounts
    etc.

    If you are going to whinge about something at least make it believable.
    Who is this, Jul 22, 2003
  8. lily

    Who is this Guest

    Re: kiwi DSE ripping off fellow kiwis

    In article <bfijl4$f8bmv$-berlin.de>,
    Jay <> wrote:

    > DSE (NZ) is a franchise run by kiwis.
    > So kiwis ripping off fellow kiwis is nothing new.

    Until you look at the products and realise they are totally different,
    amy as well compare a toyota carolla with a Rolls Royce.
    Who is this, Jul 22, 2003
  9. lily

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:55:48 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >lily wrote:
    >
    >> Prices for a Wireless Router
    >>
    >> The DSE Australian site
    >>

    >http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c935803c2ba32273fc0a87f9c06fa/Product/View/XH1165
    >> $A297
    >>
    >> The DSE NZ site
    >>

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c952a0249506a273fc0a87f9906b5/Product/View/XH8131
    >> $NZ1151

    >DSE (NZ) is a franchise run by kiwis.
    >So kiwis ripping off fellow kiwis is nothing new.

    Just check out Cash Converters.
    GraB, Jul 22, 2003
  10. lily

    tim Guest

    Yep, Dickhead smith is expensive.

    Here are two ripoffs i noticed

    $10 for a two way telephone adaptor
    $39 for a 6v dc power converter

    Now, those might sound reasonable to a kiwi actually. However, having just
    come back from South Korea I can assure you they are making some tidy
    profits.

    Telephone adaptors I could buy for 50c and any sort of adaptor (there was a
    shop in Yongsan (the huge Electronics market in Seoul) for just adaptors)
    for less than $10.

    grr, lack of competition. what can u expect..

    tim, Jul 22, 2003
  11. lily

    Steve Guest

    Jay allegedly said:

    > lily wrote:
    >
    >> Prices for a Wireless Router
    >>
    >> The DSE Australian site

    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c935803c2ba32273fc0a87f9c06fa/Product/View/XH1165
    >> $A297
    >>
    >> The DSE NZ site

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c952a0249506a273fc0a87f9906b5/Product/View/XH8131
    >> $NZ1151

    > DSE (NZ) is a franchise run by kiwis.
    > So kiwis ripping off fellow kiwis is nothing new.

    It's not the same hardware.

    They have different features and are madee by completely different
    companies.

    Lancer vs Audi.

    --
    Steve
    Steve, Jul 22, 2003
  12. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:08:10 +1200, forensic analysis wrote:

    > Perhaps your "example" was more a case of apples and oranges...

    As a rule of thumb, if the import path to NZ is via Australia, then the
    price will be at least 50% higher than it should be, sometimes up to 150%

    This is one of the reasons I believe that exclusive distribution
    arrangements should be made explicitly illegal.

    As it stands, many USA and
    Tawian companies refuse to deal with NZ companies and try to force you yo
    go via the Australia office. I have had _some_ success with changing that
    attitude by showing them the pricing differences between Australia and NZ,
    plus a coparison against buying in Fry's, then couriering from the US West
    Coast.

    Funnily enough, the ocmpanies who refuse to change their tactics on sales
    paths usually end up being marginal bit players in the NZ scene,
    regardless of size elsewhere. Kiwis aren't stupid.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  13. Re: kiwi DSE ripping off fellow kiwis

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:34:27 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > Just check out Cash Converters.

    CC are a rip off everywhere. A brazilian friend thought he'd gotten a
    bargain on a minidisc player in the north of england recently... until I
    showed him several main retailer websites offering the exact same model,
    new, for half the price.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  14. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:33:39 +1200, Steve wrote:

    >> The DSE Australian site
    >>

    > http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c935803c2ba32273fc0a87f9c06fa/Product/View/XH1165
    >> $A297

    > Aussie-made Netcomm.

    Ew. I wouldn't touch those with someone else's ten foot bargepole.

    Netcomm only survive because of australian govt protectionism.

    >> The DSE NZ site
    >>

    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1c952a0249506a273fc0a87f9906b5/Product/View/XH8131
    >> $NZ1151

    > "Airpro" D-Link brand.....with different features.
    >

    > They aren't the same item.

    Indeed not. The NZ item actually works.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  15. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:22:45 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > if you can do so much better, import them yourself...

    European pricing for a linksys DSL router with wireless and integral 5
    port 100Mb/s switch is about NZ$450

    US pricing is substantially less. The PSU for these is universal, if the
    ones I have at hand are anything to go by.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  16. Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:29:11 +1200, tim wrote:
    >

    >>Yep, Dickhead smith is expensive.
    >>
    >>Here are two ripoffs i noticed
    >>
    >>$10 for a two way telephone adaptor
    >>$39 for a 6v dc power converter

    And the quality of their electronic components is generally quite poor,
    yet they still charge comparably to RS, Farnell etc (quality which IHMO
    are good). The technical knowledge of their staff isn't much better.
    What they stock is becomming less relavant to electronic professionals
    and hobbists alike.
    Graeme Woollett, Jul 22, 2003
  17. lily

    lily Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > if you can do so much better, import them yourself...

    Lots of vendors do better, this is comment about DSE.
    DSE nz should be able to do better.
    The same D Link wireless router sells for around ~$700 locally from some
    sources.
    But DSE NZ restrict their range to these high margin items, when similar
    functionality should be available at 1/3 of the price, the price of SMC and
    Netgear wireless router firewalls.
    Its obvious that DSE have a bulk buying relationship with D Link which
    excludes stocking other brands, and you would expect to see that reflected
    in lower prices. But they are the most expensive for D-Link.
    lily, Jul 22, 2003
  18. lily

    lily Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Exactly
    >
    > They are running a business.. Big ones that have big costs... They provide
    > the services needed for those who dont know where else to go. They are
    > obviously doing pretty well. People dont have to shop there, Alot of
    > people dont - However more do :) - If you know they are more expensive
    > then X place.. then go shop there instead

    And tell other people.
    Its in the consumers interest to be informed that these stores are not the
    best value in a particular field despite their buying power.
    The reverse holds true for some other consumer products such as whiteware
    where economy of scale are on their side.
    I expect Dick Smiths will offer low cost wireless routers when Harvey
    Normans are offering low cost wireless routers.
    Nothing to do with "big costs" sorry, just competition, the marketplace and
    product cycle.
    lily, Jul 24, 2003
  19. lily

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:29:11 +1200, tim wrote:
    >
    > > Yep, Dickhead smith is expensive.
    > >
    > > Here are two ripoffs i noticed
    > >
    > > $10 for a two way telephone adaptor
    > > $39 for a 6v dc power converter

    > Last time I looked, Spectron were selling the former at $2.50 and the
    > latter at $15-$25 depending on current rating.
    >
    > For more extreme examples:
    >
    > HDD double adaptor cables: Spectron $1.35, DSE $12.95 HDD/floppy adaptor
    > cables: Spectron $1.80, DSE $13.50
    >
    > Even then, Spectron aren't the cheapest game in town and they make a tidy
    > profit on these things (even on their $3 2metre cat5 patch leads)
    >
    > > grr, lack of competition. what can u expect..

    > There's competition and lots of it, just that DSE have the adverts.
    >
    > Once upon a time, DSE were cheap competitors to "rip off Reids" - David
    > Reid Electronics.
    >
    > Then DSE bought out Reids and in the following coupe of years their prices
    > soared. In a lot of cases, it's cheaper to buy from Radio Spares or
    > Farnell.

    Jaycar now have branches in several cities and Altronics have a reseller
    in Christchurch.
    Mainlander, Jul 24, 2003
  20. lily

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "lily" wrote
    > > > if you can do so much better, import them yourself...

    > > Lots of vendors do better, this is comment about DSE.

    > Saying that DSE is ripping of kiwis is not that interesting, they have
    > been doing it for years, thats why smarter people shop around.
    >
    > To chuck some more companies onto your list, also put Harvey Norman,
    > Bond and Bond, Smith City, farmers, computer city online, 'insert
    > chain store name here'... the list goes on 'ad infinium'

    You did well with your dealings with PC Gear in Auckland, sending parts back
    and forth and getting all upset over their service.
    LOL

    People just need to shop round, good and bad deals can happen almost
    anywhere.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 24, 2003