    drive. Norton Disk Doctor found a problem and offered to fix the
    partition but my friend hasn't been game to try that yet. Any
    comments from Linux gurus would be welcome.
    GraB, Dec 30, 2004

  2. GraB

    Peter Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > While away on holiday I visited a friend and helped him to delete an
    > old Linux partition that no longer worked. This left 7Gigs of free
    > space at the end of the drive. He wanted to add a new Linux OS on the
    > same drive that has XP and 98SE installed, each in its own primary
    > partition, so went and bought Dick Smith's Mandrake 10 CDs. During
    > install we told it to use the free space. But the installation kept
    > cycling back to the same screen where you select what will be
    > installed selecting just about everything except development stuff,
    > but it kept coming back to that screen, so we bailed out.
    > Unfortunately Mandrake stuffed the other partitions. Only 98SE would
    > boot. From that we could access the XP partition but XP wouldn't
    > boot. Looking at the partitions with the partitioning tool in System
    > Commander we could see that an extended partition had been made that
    > didn't exist before but the size was way over the actual size of the
    > drive. Norton Disk Doctor found a problem and offered to fix the
    > partition but my friend hasn't been game to try that yet. Any
    > comments from Linux gurus would be welcome.

    If you boot off install CD1, there is a rescue mode. IIRC this allows you
    to restore the MBR. However, it sounds like your problem is with a botched
    partition table, which might be beyond the Linux rescue tool. Perhaps that
    Norton tool is your best bet. It would be worthwhile making a backup of
    data first though (if you haven't already).

    What version of Mandrake is it? 10.0 or 10.1, and Community Edition or
    Official?

    During installs, I use the expert mode. This isn't really expert, it just
    allows you to manually specify which partitions you want to be used for
    which purpose.
    Maybe in your case, the partitioning wizard got confused as it only expected
    one Windows partition for dual boot.
    Or maybe the set of disks you used were corrupt or something.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 30, 2004

  3. GraB

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Dec 30, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:37:41 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> While away on holiday I visited a friend and helped him to delete an
    >> old Linux partition that no longer worked. This left 7Gigs of free
    >> space at the end of the drive. He wanted to add a new Linux OS on the
    >> same drive that has XP and 98SE installed, each in its own primary
    >> partition, so went and bought Dick Smith's Mandrake 10 CDs. During
    >> install we told it to use the free space. But the installation kept
    >> cycling back to the same screen where you select what will be
    >> installed selecting just about everything except development stuff,
    >> but it kept coming back to that screen, so we bailed out.
    >> Unfortunately Mandrake stuffed the other partitions. Only 98SE would
    >> boot. From that we could access the XP partition but XP wouldn't
    >> boot. Looking at the partitions with the partitioning tool in System
    >> Commander we could see that an extended partition had been made that
    >> didn't exist before but the size was way over the actual size of the
    >> drive. Norton Disk Doctor found a problem and offered to fix the
    >> partition but my friend hasn't been game to try that yet. Any
    >> comments from Linux gurus would be welcome.

    >If you boot off install CD1, there is a rescue mode. IIRC this allows you
    >to restore the MBR. However, it sounds like your problem is with a botched
    >partition table, which might be beyond the Linux rescue tool. Perhaps that
    >Norton tool is your best bet. It would be worthwhile making a backup of
    >data first though (if you haven't already).
    >
    >What version of Mandrake is it? 10.0 or 10.1, and Community Edition or
    >Official?
    >
    >During installs, I use the expert mode. This isn't really expert, it just
    >allows you to manually specify which partitions you want to be used for
    >which purpose.
    >Maybe in your case, the partitioning wizard got confused as it only expected
    >one Windows partition for dual boot.
    >Or maybe the set of disks you used were corrupt or something.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Peter

    It was the Mandrake 10 CDs for $4.95. I passed on your comments. tx
    GraB, Dec 31, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB, Dec 31, 2004
  6. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > While away on holiday I visited a friend and helped him to delete an
    > old Linux partition that no longer worked. This left 7Gigs of free
    > space at the end of the drive. He wanted to add a new Linux OS on the
    > same drive that has XP and 98SE installed, each in its own primary
    > partition, so went and bought Dick Smith's Mandrake 10 CDs. During
    > install we told it to use the free space. But the installation kept
    > cycling back to the same screen where you select what will be
    > installed selecting just about everything except development stuff,
    > but it kept coming back to that screen, so we bailed out.
    > Unfortunately Mandrake stuffed the other partitions. Only 98SE would
    > boot. From that we could access the XP partition but XP wouldn't
    > boot. Looking at the partitions with the partitioning tool in System
    > Commander we could see that an extended partition had been made that
    > didn't exist before but the size was way over the actual size of the
    > drive. Norton Disk Doctor found a problem and offered to fix the
    > partition but my friend hasn't been game to try that yet. Any
    > comments from Linux gurus would be welcome.

    Comments

    The Installer has changed a wee bit GRRRR.... the text is a bicth and
    the graphical has dumbed down toooo muchhh.

    What was needed during install is use custom partitioning I was havving
    some fun trying to set it up with a 650mb and 850Mb hard drives set up
    as pri and sec this was on a very slow P100 I just wanted to build a
    Test WEB and Mail server. No X and such frills not much Luck it boots
    and not much elce. these hard drives used to be fine for installing
    Linux but not now the distros have gotten LARGE and Bulky.
    Might have a re try next year some time or try the last version of RED
    HAT for what I need it does not matter too much.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 31, 2004
  7. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Robert Cooze, Dec 31, 2004
  8. GraB

    Mercury Guest

    Quick! Rush down to Big Byte in CHCH where you can get Mandrake 8.0
    "Standard" for *only* $99.
    An even better bargain is the P4 1.6 GHz system 2nd hand in a shyte case
    with 512 MB Ram etc. for a mere $1600.

    Now, back to the topic at hand...

    Mercury, Dec 31, 2004
  9. GraB

    Mercury, Dec 31, 2004
  10. In article <41d4b265_4@127.0.0.1>, Robert Cooze <>
    wrote:

    >these hard drives used to be fine for installing
    >Linux but not now the distros have gotten LARGE and Bulky.
    >Might have a re try next year some time or try the last version of RED
    >HAT for what I need it does not matter too much.

    Even the large distros should still give you a choice of only installing
    a subset of stuff--you don't have to accept the defaults. Or you might
    try one of the more geek-oriented distros (like Debian or Gentoo), which
    explicitly set out to give you control over exactly what they do.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2004
  11. In article <41d4b265_4@127.0.0.1>, Robert Cooze <>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2004
  12. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <41d4b265_4@127.0.0.1>, Robert Cooze <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>these hard drives used to be fine for installing
    >>Linux but not now the distros have gotten LARGE and Bulky.
    >>Might have a re try next year some time or try the last version of RED
    >>HAT for what I need it does not matter too much.

    > Even the large distros should still give you a choice of only installing
    > a subset of stuff--you don't have to accept the defaults. Or you might
    > try one of the more geek-oriented distros (like Debian or Gentoo), which
    > explicitly set out to give you control over exactly what they do.

    I used to use slackware. The Point I was making is Mandrake is becoming
    in its rush to become easy to install Hard. Now I know If I had a 2 gig
    drive I could setup X and some useful progs and such. I was not serious
    about that Box It was I had a spare 3 hrs to muck arround with and a set
    of mandrake 10 disks it was time to have a lookie.

    Yes Gentoo is hot on my List of some day I will have a look. I have kind
    of got a soft spot for DamnSmall Linux for older slower machines (Debin
    Core) once on a hard drive it can be tinkered with quite a lot. In the
    end I saw the problem that the orignal poster had commented about there
    is a way arround the inital problem. It was harder than It should have
    been to Install with custom hard drive partitioning, admittily with the
    text interface.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 31, 2004
  13. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Robert Cooze, Dec 31, 2004
  14. GraB

    Axel Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <41d4b265_4@127.0.0.1>, Robert Cooze
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> these hard drives used to be fine for installing Linux but not now
    >>> the distros have gotten LARGE and Bulky.
    >>> Might have a re try next year some time or try the last version of
    >>> RED HAT for what I need it does not matter too much.

    >> Even the large distros should still give you a choice of only
    >> installing a subset of stuff--you don't have to accept the defaults.
    >> Or you might try one of the more geek-oriented distros (like Debian or
    >> Gentoo), which explicitly set out to give you control over exactly
    >> what they do.

    > I used to use slackware. The Point I was making is Mandrake is becoming
    > in its rush to become easy to install Hard. Now I know If I had a 2 gig
    > drive I could setup X and some useful progs and such. I was not serious
    > about that Box It was I had a spare 3 hrs to muck arround with and a set
    > of mandrake 10 disks it was time to have a lookie.
    >
    > Yes Gentoo is hot on my List of some day I will have a look. I have kind
    > of got a soft spot for DamnSmall Linux for older slower machines (Debin
    > Core) once on a hard drive it can be tinkered with quite a lot. In the
    > end I saw the problem that the orignal poster had commented about there
    > is a way arround the inital problem. It was harder than It should have
    > been to Install with custom hard drive partitioning, admittily with the
    > text interface.

    I highly recommend the new Debian installer to you. Its partitioning
    options are excellent, it installs usb and you can terminate the
    installation at the base install, log in and run aptitude and just
    select the packages you use if space is important to you.
    Axel, Dec 31, 2004
  15. GraB

    Axel Guest

    Axel, Dec 31, 2004
  16. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Axel wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Even the large distros should still give you a choice of only
    >>> installing a subset of stuff--you don't have to accept the defaults.
    >>> Or you might try one of the more geek-oriented distros (like Debian
    >>> or Gentoo), which explicitly set out to give you control over exactly
    >>> what they do.

    >> I used to use slackware. The Point I was making is Mandrake is
    >> becoming in its rush to become easy to install Hard. Now I know If I
    >> had a 2 gig drive I could setup X and some useful progs and such. I
    >> was not serious about that Box It was I had a spare 3 hrs to muck
    >> arround with and a set of mandrake 10 disks it was time to have a lookie.
    >>
    >> Yes Gentoo is hot on my List of some day I will have a look. I have
    >> kind of got a soft spot for DamnSmall Linux for older slower machines
    >> (Debin Core) once on a hard drive it can be tinkered with quite a lot.
    >> In the end I saw the problem that the orignal poster had commented
    >> about there is a way arround the inital problem. It was harder than It
    >> should have been to Install with custom hard drive partitioning,
    >> admittily with the text interface.
    >>

    > I highly recommend the new Debian installer to you. Its partitioning
    > options are excellent, it installs usb and you can terminate the
    > installation at the base install, log in and run aptitude and just
    > select the packages you use if space is important to you.

    fdisk always used to do the job:) my first linux install was on a spare
    hard drive since then i have always left room on a drive for it. even to
    day it is not too hard to set up partitions with the winxp installer to
    leave some spare space, typical install went some what like this

    01. work out whare it was gona go
    02. Partion with the linux fdisk prog
    03. Fromat
    04. Install

    It is just the evolution of the installers that has to happen just
    havent got the mix just right. but probly for the novice it is just
    right for a relitivy morden machine (LOTS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE)

    the point is thnik about how many steps to make a directory say from a
    comand prompt and from a graphical enviroment,

    It wasent till my wife tryed doing a computer cource to get full marks
    you had to write everything open window one dobel click on icon xxx go
    into iconxxx window. she got no points for the dos command line in the
    run box.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 2, 2005
  17. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Robert Cooze, Jan 2, 2005
  18. Axel wrote:

    > I highly recommend the new Debian installer to you. Its partitioning
    > options are excellent, it installs usb and you can terminate the
    > installation at the base install, log in and run aptitude and just
    > select the packages you use if space is important to you.

    Couldn't agree more, plus there are very fast nz update mirrors ie.
    citylink etc. Fedora/Mandrake pale in comparison IMHO.

    Graeme
    Graeme Woollett, Jan 2, 2005