    anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media for a
    few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    mountain, Jul 5, 2005

  2. mountain

    thing Guest

    mountain wrote:
    > Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg gsa-4163b
    > dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as the
    > imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So I
    > am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    > reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is 4x
    > speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed than
    > any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x speed
    > if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at this
    > speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I reckon
    > there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow. So
    > anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media for a
    > few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    It might needs a bios flash

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 5, 2005

  3. mountain

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:25:09 +1200, "mountain" <> wrote:

    >Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg gsa-4163b
    >dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as the
    >imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So I
    >am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    >reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    >Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is 4x
    >speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed than
    >any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x speed
    >if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at this
    >speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I reckon
    >there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow. So
    >anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    >Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media for a
    >few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    For one thing Update the LG firmware, and not all disk are what the claim to
    be..

    If the drive can't find any data of that DVD it will take the safest route and
    burn at a lower speed.

    Updating the LG firmware can some times fix this as the DVD burning info is
    in the Firmware..

    Tony, Jul 5, 2005
  4. mountain

    mountain Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message news:42ca2970$...
    > mountain wrote:
    > > Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg

    gsa-4163b
    > > dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as

    the
    > > imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So

    > > am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    > > reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > > Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is

    4x
    > > speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed

    than
    > > any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x

    speed
    > > if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at

    this
    > > speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I

    reckon
    > > there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow.

    So
    > > anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > > Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media

    for a
    > > few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.
    > >

    > It might needs a bios flash
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thanks, I will give that a try and hope it is a lack of info on this dvdr
    rather than the dvdr media not been what it claims to be.

    mountain, Jul 5, 2005
  5. mountain

    mountain Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:25:09 +1200, "mountain" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg

    gsa-4163b
    > >dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as

    the
    > >imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So

    > >am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    > >reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > >Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is

    4x
    > >speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed

    than
    > >any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x

    speed
    > >if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at

    this
    > >speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I

    reckon
    > >there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow.

    So
    > >anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > >Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media

    for a
    > >few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.
    > >

    > For one thing Update the LG firmware, and not all disk are what the claim

    > be..
    >
    > If the drive can't find any data of that DVD it will take the safest route

    and
    > burn at a lower speed.
    >
    > Updating the LG firmware can some times fix this as the DVD burning info

    is
    > in the Firmware..

    Thanks, hopefully it is just that and the disc is what it claims to be.

    mountain, Jul 5, 2005
  6. mountain

    mountain Guest

    wrote:

    > > >Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg

    > gsa-4163b
    > > >dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where

    as
    > the
    > > >imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should.

    So
    > > >am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not

    be
    > > >reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > > >Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is

    > 4x
    > > >speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed

    > than
    > > >any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x

    > speed
    > > >if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at

    > this
    > > >speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I

    > reckon
    > > >there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me

    anyhow.
    > So
    > > >anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > > >Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media

    > for a
    > > >few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.
    > > >

    > > For one thing Update the LG firmware, and not all disk are what the

    claim
    > > be..
    > >
    > > If the drive can't find any data of that DVD it will take the safest

    route
    > and
    > > burn at a lower speed.
    > >
    > > Updating the LG firmware can some times fix this as the DVD burning

    info
    > is
    > > in the Firmware..
    > >

    > Thanks, hopefully it is just that and the disc is what it claims to be.

    It turns out I already have the latest firmware so it is a case of dodgy
    claims for this media whatever way you look at it.

    mountain, Jul 5, 2005
  7. "mountain" <> wrote in message

    > "mountain" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > > gsa-4163b

    > as
    > > the

    > So

    > be

    speed.

    is
    > > 4x

    > > than

    > > speed

    at
    > > this

    > > reckon

    > anyhow.
    > > So

    media
    > > for a
    > > > >

    > > > For one thing Update the LG firmware, and not all disk are what the

    > claim
    > > > be..
    > > >
    > > > If the drive can't find any data of that DVD it will take the safest

    > route
    > > and
    > > > burn at a lower speed.
    > > >
    > > > Updating the LG firmware can some times fix this as the DVD burning

    > info
    > > is
    > > > in the Firmware..
    > > >

    > > Thanks, hopefully it is just that and the disc is what it claims to be.
    > >

    > It turns out I already have the latest firmware so it is a case of dodgy
    > claims for this media whatever way you look at it.

    Or .... your firmware is telling your hardware that it is best capable to
    write this media at 4x. Most unlikely to be a media prob, I feel. Isn't
    there a nero tool that will tell you what manufacturer/speed your media
    really is (rather than brand/speed). ?

    ShuckItAnShee, Jul 5, 2005
  8. mountain

    Mercury Guest

    The latest firmware for the drive is A104. Its out there and is OK.

    Mercury, Jul 5, 2005
  9. mountain

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:29:44 +1200, "mountain" <>
    wrote:

    >"mountain" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> gsa-4163b

    >as
    >> the

    >So

    >be

    >> 4x

    >> than

    >> speed

    >> this

    >> reckon

    >anyhow.
    >> So

    >> for a
    >> > >

    >> > For one thing Update the LG firmware, and not all disk are what the

    >claim
    >> > be..
    >> >
    >> > If the drive can't find any data of that DVD it will take the safest

    >route
    >> and
    >> > burn at a lower speed.
    >> >
    >> > Updating the LG firmware can some times fix this as the DVD burning

    >info
    >> is
    >> > in the Firmware..
    >> >

    >> Thanks, hopefully it is just that and the disc is what it claims to be.
    >>

    >It turns out I already have the latest firmware so it is a case of dodgy
    >claims for this media whatever way you look at it.

    Check what DVDInfoPro says about them

    GraB, Jul 5, 2005
  10. mountain

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:47:26 +1200, ShuckItAnShee wrote:

    > Or .... your firmware is telling your hardware that it is best capable to
    > write this media at 4x. Most unlikely to be a media prob, I feel. Isn't
    > there a nero tool that will tell you what manufacturer/speed your media
    > really is (rather than brand/speed). ?

    And... Cheap manufacturers often just outright LIE for those on-disk stats.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #258908 +(6877)- [X]

    <Ben174> : If they only realized 90% of the overtime they pay me is only
    cause i like staying here playing with Kazaa when the bandwidth picks up
    after hours.
    <ChrisLMB> : If any of my employees did that they'd be fired instantly.
    <Ben174> : Where u work?
    <ChrisLMB> : I'm the CTO at LowerMyBills.com
    *** Ben174 () Quit (Leaving)

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/07/2005 9:43:00 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 5, 2005
  11. mountain wrote:
    > Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg gsa-4163b
    > dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as the
    > imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So I
    > am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    > reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is 4x
    > speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed than
    > any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x speed
    > if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at this
    > speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I reckon
    > there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow. So
    > anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media for a
    > few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    I've used them at 8x.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 5, 2005
  12. mountain wrote:
    > It turns out I already have the latest firmware so it is a case of dodgy
    > claims for this media whatever way you look at it.

    not really, it could just be an incompatibilty with your drive and that
    media.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 5, 2005
  13. mountain

    mountain Guest

    > mountain wrote:
    > > Bought some blank dick smith brand dvd+r 8x speed for use in my lg

    gsa-4163b
    > > dvdwriter and am finding that it only writes at 4x(times) speed where as

    the
    > > imation brand of the same type of disc ran at the 8x speed it should. So

    > > am guessing that my dvdwriter has recognised that these discs can not be
    > > reliably used at 8x speed, I wonder what dvdwriters do allow 8x speed.
    > > Anyhow as i see it this is a bit of a scam, what we most likely have is

    4x
    > > speed dvd+r that is been sold as 8x, it is no more suited to 8x speed

    than
    > > any other 4x speed rated media. Any 4x speed media can be used at 8x

    speed
    > > if the dvdwriter allows although of course they would be unreliable at

    this
    > > speed as I suspect the dse media would be if used at 8x speed. So I

    reckon
    > > there is some dodgy cheating going on here, it makes sense to me anyhow.

    So
    > > anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    > > Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media

    for a
    > > few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    > I've used them at 8x.
    >
    > --
    > http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    > http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services

    What type of dvdwriter did you use and did you have any problems?

    mountain, Jul 6, 2005
  14. mountain wrote:
    >>>anyone using the dse media at 8 times speed with no problems.
    >>>Anyhow i am annoyed because I would have bought another brand of media

    >> for a
    >>>few dollars more if I knew I was not comparing apples with apples.

    >>I've used them at 8x.

    > What type of dvdwriter did you use and did you have any problems?

    MSI of some sort.
    no problems.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.