    not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
    would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
    would greatly appreciate your feedback.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005

  2. outofdate

    Redbaiter Guest

    > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
    > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
    > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
    > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
    > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
    > website, I
    > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
    > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
    > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
    > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
    > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
    > would greatly appreciate your feedback.

    Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
    Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
    is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
    but they still don't like it much.

    Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
    RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
    cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
    don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
    need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
    format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.

    The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
    facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
    such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
    build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
    noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

    Redbaiter, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Redbaiter wrote:

    >>I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
    >>but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
    >>the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
    >>someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
    >>I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
    >>website, I
    >>wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
    >>has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
    >>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
    >>not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
    >>would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
    >>would greatly appreciate your feedback.
    >>

    > Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
    > Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
    > is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
    > but they still don't like it much.
    >
    > Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
    > RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
    > cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
    > don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
    > need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
    > format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.
    >
    > The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
    > facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
    > such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
    > build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
    > noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

    The DMR-E100H has better editing abilities than the DMR-E500H (Which is
    the expensive 400GB model), so if editing is important, check the
    features of the DMR-E50H and see if they do what you require.

    I went with Panasonic specifically for DVD-RAM, and purchased a DVD-RAM
    capable DVD writer. I have yet to purchase editing software... MPEG
    Video Wizard is nice, but they haven't responded to my e-mails asking
    them how to enter the discount code they sent me! Not going to buy it
    unless I get my discount.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 30, 2005
  4. outofdate

    Redbaiter Guest

    > > Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
    > > Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
    > > is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
    > > but they still don't like it much.
    > >
    > > Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
    > > RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
    > > cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
    > > don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
    > > need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
    > > format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.
    > >
    > > The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
    > > facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
    > > such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
    > > build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
    > > noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

    > The DMR-E100H has better editing abilities than the DMR-E500H (Which is
    > the expensive 400GB model), so if editing is important, check the
    > features of the DMR-E50H and see if they do what you require.
    >
    > I went with Panasonic specifically for DVD-RAM, and purchased a DVD-RAM
    > capable DVD writer. I have yet to purchase editing software... MPEG
    > Video Wizard is nice, but they haven't responded to my e-mails asking
    > them how to enter the discount code they sent me! Not going to buy it
    > unless I get my discount.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Canopus Lets Edit is IMHO one of the best video editing
    programs. TMPG Studio is pretty good too. There's a cheap model
    of that same software called TSUNAMI MPEG that has most of the
    features of TMPG Studio. It depends if you like to have
    thumbnails in the timeline or not. I find it useful to be able
    to view every single frame there. Sony have some fairly complex
    programs out but they're expensive.

    Intervideo WinDVD Creator is another useful program, along with
    Video Redo, although I don't think you can author with it. Many
    of the more mainstream video editing programs are a lot of
    fluff. Gigabytes of crap all over your disk and less effective
    than the programs I have mentioned above.

    Redbaiter, Dec 30, 2005
  5. outofdate

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote:

    >capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
    >not,

    A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd players
    these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

    Craig Shore, Dec 30, 2005
  6. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    wrote:

    > >capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

    does
    > >not,

    > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

    players
    > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

    Yeah I assumed that the panasonic outputted digital 5.1 as I have never
    heard of a dvdplayer that doesn't but believe it or not the panasonic
    outputs 2.0 digital sound, I still am having difficulty believing this
    myself but i looked at the manual I downloaded and it specifically says that
    even when using the optical output the sound will still be only 2 channels
    when playing dvd audio. I still wonder if the manual is so badly worded as
    to give a false impression of this as I have never before heard of such a
    thing and from what i know it makes no sense to me, it seems impossible that
    the manual would be correct but it says what it says several times and never
    says anything to the contrary.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote:
    >>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
    >>not,

    > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd players
    > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

    Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
    5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
    separate player if you need those things.

    My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
    hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
    in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
    for hard drive recordings.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 30, 2005
  8. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "Redbaiter" <> wrote in message

    > Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
    > Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
    > is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
    > but they still don't like it much.

    I presume you are basing your buggy opinion on your old dvd recorder?

    DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
    > format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.

    Yep it does.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  9. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    wrote:
    > >>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

    does
    > >>not,

    > > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

    players
    > > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

    > Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
    > 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
    > separate player if you need those things.
    >
    > My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
    > hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
    > in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
    > for hard drive recordings.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
    largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
    5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  10. outofdate wrote:
    > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
    > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
    > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

    That was really my point, which obviously I didn't make clear. Buy both.

    A cheap DVD you can abuse playing DVDs, and a DVD Recorder just for your
    recordings. My opinion is that it isn't worth wasting laser time playing
    back pressed movies on a comparitively expensive recorder.

    Depends on your priorities. I personally am a fairly early adopter of
    new technology (when there is a need for it), so given the difference in
    costs between players and recorders at the time, having both made sense.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 30, 2005
  11. outofdate

    > outofdate wrote:
    > > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which

    are
    > > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate

    analog
    > > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

    > That was really my point, which obviously I didn't make clear. Buy both.
    >
    > A cheap DVD you can abuse playing DVDs, and a DVD Recorder just for your
    > recordings. My opinion is that it isn't worth wasting laser time playing
    > back pressed movies on a comparitively expensive recorder.
    >
    > Depends on your priorities. I personally am a fairly early adopter of
    > new technology (when there is a need for it), so given the difference in
    > costs between players and recorders at the time, having both made sense.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Except that I won't use the dvdrecording much anyhow, it's the hdd that will
    get the thrashing. I already own 2 dvdplayers so I'm not stuffed by any
    means, just would prefer to be able to play my movies on the recorder
    although I am far more concerned with other matters, such as useability,
    quality and reliability of the dvd/hdd recorder

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  12. outofdate

    Kevin Guest

    outofdate wrote:
    > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
    > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
    > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
    > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
    > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
    > website, I
    > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
    > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
    > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
    > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
    > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
    > would greatly appreciate your feedback.

    It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

    Kevin, Dec 30, 2005
  13. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > outofdate wrote:
    > > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd

    recorder
    > > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed

    opinions on
    > > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
    > > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
    > > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
    > > website, I
    > > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see

    it
    > > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb

    more
    > > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

    does
    > > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that

    > > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit

    > > would greatly appreciate your feedback.
    > >

    > It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

    Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
    hits are just phantom etc...

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  14. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > > outofdate wrote:
    > > > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd

    > recorder
    > > > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed

    > opinions on
    > > > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search,

    surely
    > > > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz

    and
    > > > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
    > > > website, I
    > > > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can

    see
    > it
    > > > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb

    > more
    > > > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the

    panasonic
    > does
    > > > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs

    that
    > > > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this

    unit
    > > > would greatly appreciate your feedback.
    > > >

    > > It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

    > Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
    > hits are just phantom etc...

    And no hits at all on newsgroup archive except for your post, I think i will
    steer clear as I know hyundai make some very dodgy cheap products.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  15. outofdate

    J Brockley Guest

    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore wrote:

    > does
    >> >
    >> > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

    > players
    >> > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

    >> Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
    >> 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
    >> separate player if you need those things.
    >>
    >> My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
    >> hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
    >> in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
    >> for hard drive recordings.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
    > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
    > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

    It outputs 5.1 just like any other DVD player but only records in 2 channel
    either DD2.0 or PCM

    J Brockley, Dec 30, 2005
  16. outofdate

    J Brockley Guest

    >> "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    >> > >

    >> > It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

    >> Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
    >> hits are just phantom etc...
    >>

    > And no hits at all on newsgroup archive except for your post, I think i
    > will
    > steer clear as I know hyundai make some very dodgy cheap products.

    If its anything like their HDD only model a wise move.

    J Brockley, Dec 30, 2005
  17. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message

    > "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message

    panasonic
    > > does

    dvd
    > > players
    > >>
    > >> Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
    > >> 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
    > >> separate player if you need those things.
    > >>
    > >> My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
    > >> hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
    > >> in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
    > >> for hard drive recordings.
    > >>
    > >> The Other Guy

    > > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
    > > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate

    analog
    > > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.
    > >

    > It outputs 5.1 just like any other DVD player but only records in 2

    channel
    > either DD2.0 or PCM

    That's what you would think but that is not what the manual says, I guess
    it's a case of very bad wording.

    outofdate, Dec 30, 2005
  18. On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    wrote:
    Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
    a good work out.
    If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
    recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
    Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
    I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years
    will get another one anyway.
    Have had a couple of glitches but just did the old computer trick shut
    down fire up again and away we go, Have done timer record went as
    planned.

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz, Dec 31, 2005
  19. outofdate

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:45:40 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    >wrote:
    >Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
    >a good work out.
    >If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
    >recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
    >Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
    >I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years

    You do not need this as its covered by the C.G.A.

    XP, Dec 31, 2005
  20. outofdate

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:45:40 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
    >wrote:
    >Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
    >a good work out.
    >If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
    >recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
    >Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
    >I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years
    >will get another one anyway.

    These extended warranties are 100% BS, and a charming little cash cow
    for DSE and other retailers. Some push them very aggressively, and I
    saw a nice little confrontation in a retailers' a few years ago, IIRC
    it was Noel Leeming. It cost them a sale as the customer stamped out
    of the shop.

    "Consumer" has raised this a number of times. As another poster points
    out, it's all covered by the CGA, and a number of recent court cases
    demonstrate that retailers cannot simply state: "Oh really, it failed
    after 15 months? our warranty is 12 months, tough shit!"

    The courts have consistently ruled that things must last for a
    "reasonable period" and yes, that is open to interpretation, but IIRC,
    a judge stated a reasonable period for a TV would be 5 years. I would
    be inclined to think a DVD recorder would be 3-4 years, but it's got
    to be more than 1.

    Barry Lennox, Dec 31, 2005