DSE and the modem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kurt Häusler, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. David wrote:

    > Problem is, not matter what I do the program keeps leaving icons sitting on
    > the wallpaper and reloads a shortcuts in the programs file where I do NOT
    > want it. I am a tidy Kiwi and like to keep the wallpaper clear and the
    > program shortcuts filed nicely.
    >
    > Any clues on how to permanently remove these? Running XP Home - in classic
    > mode.

    What "program"?

    Shouldnt it just be a matter of the drivers and dialup networking?

    I take it that this is a USB modem, and you cant use the standard pppoe
    drivers.

    I doubt an OS configuration option will help you here if its the actual
    program that installs these icons. Maybe the program itself has an option?

    Otherwise, try adjusting the permissions on the desktop folder so that
    the user that the program runs under doesnt have write access to the
    desktop. To the program it might seem like an error though and it may
    terminate.

    Have a look through the source if its available (probably not though
    unfortunatley) and comment out the part that copies the icon, with the
    help of a programmer if necessary.

    Its a really good example of a situation where an ordinary user can
    benefit from open sorce eh?

    It could be the case that this is simply a badly behaved program, and it
    will always do this. Complain to the supplier and see if they fix it in
    a future release.

    I feel I should also timidly suggest upgrading to linux if all the above
    dont bring you satisfaction. Timidly because not all manufacturers
    provide linux drivers, or the information to enable a driver to be
    written, this device may fall under this category.
    Kurt Häusler, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Kurt Häusler

    David Guest

    Howdy

    Got myself a DSE ADSL modem, mainly for the laptop - which I have just got.

    Problem is, not matter what I do the program keeps leaving icons sitting on
    the wallpaper and reloads a shortcuts in the programs file where I do NOT
    want it. I am a tidy Kiwi and like to keep the wallpaper clear and the
    program shortcuts filed nicely.

    Any clues on how to permanently remove these? Running XP Home - in classic
    mode.

    In old OS one could find this under a selected startup option, but buggered
    I can find this in XP.

    cheers

    David
    David, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Kurt Häusler

    David Guest

    "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message

    > What "program"?

    The two icons that keep appearing on the desktop (wallpaper) are the DSE
    ADSL Connection - which links into showing me my connection status and the
    DSE ADSL Control Panel, neither of which allow me to remove from my
    desktop - well they do (by a simple delete), but reappear on reboot.

    The same issue in my Programs menu, I file it elsewhere and it re-appears on
    reboot.

    The rest of your comments I am not sure are valid as to my plight/annoyance
    but appreciate your comments

    Upgrading to Linux is not really a consideration as I am happy enough with
    what I have (and ain't that worms/can/open!)

    cheers

    David
    David, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Kurt Häusler

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > The two icons that keep appearing on the desktop (wallpaper) are the
    > DSE ADSL Connection - which links into showing me my connection status
    > and the DSE ADSL Control Panel, neither of which allow me to remove
    > from my desktop - well they do (by a simple delete), but reappear on
    > reboot.
    >
    > The same issue in my Programs menu, I file it elsewhere and it
    > re-appears on reboot.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > David

    Are these icons in the "All users" desktop? Log in as administrator and
    check by right clicking on the start button and selecting explore. Tidy up
    as admin, and then logoff, log back in under your usual user and see if
    that fixed it.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 21, 2003