    problem?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, May 9, 2006

  2. KiwiBrian

    Malcolm Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
    > ADSL modem.
    > I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
    > instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
    > PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
    > net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
    > accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves the
    > problem. What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain
    > and fix the problem?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Hi
    If you open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all from both
    pc's what is the output?

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, May 9, 2006

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Malcolm" wrote
    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
    >> ADSL modem.
    >> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
    >> instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
    >> PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
    >> net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
    >> accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves the
    >> problem. What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain
    >> and fix the problem?

    > If you open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all from both
    > pc's what is the output?

    Aha, someone who knows what he is doing!!
    I did the test on each with both connected to the router.
    Results that I think may be pertinent:-

    BlackPC:-
    Node Type: Unknown
    Dhcp enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
    IP address: 192.168.1.13

    WhitePC:-
    Node Type: Mixed
    Dhcp enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
    IP address: 192.168.1.5

    Everything else identical between both results.
    Advise if you need more info.
    I could accept that the router may not be setup correctly, as the
    instructions were totally contradictory etc.
    Thanks for your help, don't desert me now........... :))
    Brian

    KiwiBrian, May 10, 2006
  4. KiwiBrian

    XPD Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
    >modem.
    > I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
    > However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
    > Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
    > both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
    > Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
    > What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
    > problem?

    Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
    anyway....

    Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
    P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
    Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your network ?
    :)
    Also try this....
    plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
    speed)
    Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
    Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
    somehting on it causing the issue...

    XPD, May 10, 2006
  5. KiwiBrian

    Malcolm Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
    >>ADSL modem.
    >> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
    >> instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
    >> PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
    >> net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
    >> accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves
    >> the problem. What configuration setting should I look for to
    >> ascertain and fix the problem?

    > Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
    > anyway....
    >
    > Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the
    > bandwidth.... any P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza,
    > DC++, Limewire etc) Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no
    > nasties abusing your network ?
    > :)
    > Also try this....
    > plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ?
    > (network/internet speed)
    > Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
    > Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine
    > has somehting on it causing the issue...

    Hi
    You may want to do the same test with the ethernet cables as
    well.. :)

    If you also right-click on the network icon in the taskbar and select
    status, it will show the activity sent/received. Is it higher on
    either pc's without any user activity? If you don't have the icon in
    the taskbar, it can also be found via start -> network connections
    and right-click.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, May 10, 2006
  6. KiwiBrian

    Allan Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
    >>modem.
    >> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
    >> However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
    >> Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
    >> both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
    >> Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
    >> What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
    >> problem?

    > Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
    > anyway....
    >
    > Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
    > P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
    > Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your network
    > ? :)
    > Also try this....
    > plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
    > speed)
    > Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
    > Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
    > somehting on it causing the issue...

    I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
    although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
    downloads on other PC.

    What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

    Allan, May 10, 2006
  7. KiwiBrian

    cyril Guest

    I also am running a XH1169 with 4pc'sm, grandstream VOIP phone, and
    several Xport terminal servers and have not noticed any problems. That
    said I have no P2P apps in service.

    I did notice a improvement in performance when upgrading to the lattest
    firmware along with a reasonable firewall that the original firmware
    lacked.

    Current Firmware: cx82xxx_4.10.21
    Current Cust Softwre:210205_Rel10_v2

    Hope this helps

    Cyril

    cyril, May 10, 2006
  8. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message news:e3rl37$jrq$...
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >>>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
    >>>modem.
    >>> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
    >>> However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
    >>> Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
    >>> both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
    >>> Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
    >>> What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
    >>> problem?

    >> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
    >> anyway....
    >>
    >> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
    >> P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
    >> Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your
    >> network ? :)
    >> Also try this....
    >> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
    >> speed)
    >> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
    >> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
    >> somehting on it causing the issue...
    >>

    > I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
    > although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
    > downloads on other PC.
    >
    > What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

    It is a DSE XH1169.
    I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
    Most confusing.
    I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the second
    it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
    Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
    How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?
    Thanks
    Brian

    KiwiBrian, May 10, 2006
  9. KiwiBrian

    Allan Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message

    > "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
    >>> anyway....
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth....
    >>> any P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire
    >>> etc)
    >>> Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your
    >>> network ? :)
    >>> Also try this....
    >>> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ?
    >>> (network/internet speed)
    >>> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
    >>> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
    >>> somehting on it causing the issue...
    >>>

    >> I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
    >> although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
    >> downloads on other PC.
    >>
    >> What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

    > It is a DSE XH1169.
    > I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
    > Most confusing.
    > I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the
    > second it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
    > Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
    > How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?
    > Thanks
    > Brian

    You can web browse to the router config pages. I can't remember what it's
    default address is tho. On your PC, can you go to the Command Prompt and
    type ipconfig/all and post back the results. This should tell us what the
    default gateway address is.

    Allan, May 10, 2006
  10. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > It is a DSE XH1169.
    > I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
    > Most confusing.
    > I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the second
    > it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
    > Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
    > How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?

    Check the 2 machines have different IP addresses, but usually windows will tell
    you about conflicts.

    Richard, May 10, 2006
  11. KiwiBrian

    Brendan Guest

    On 9 May 2006 21:17:11 -0700, cyril wrote:

    > I also am running a XH1169 with 4pc'sm, grandstream VOIP phone, and
    > several Xport terminal servers and have not noticed any problems. That
    > said I have no P2P apps in service.
    >
    > I did notice a improvement in performance when upgrading to the lattest
    > firmware along with a reasonable firewall that the original firmware
    > lacked.
    >
    > Current Firmware: cx82xxx_4.10.21
    > Current Cust Softwre:210205_Rel10_v2
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Cyril

    me too.

    But where is this firmware with a firewall in it ?

    is it the newish one on the dse web site ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    Two fat blokes in a pub, one says to the other "Your round." The
    other one says "So are you, you fat bast**d!"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/05/2006 10:30:41 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 11, 2006
  12. KiwiBrian

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in news:1vudt09b27obb
    $:

    > along with a reasonable firewall that the original firmware
    >> lacked.

    I read the post.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2006
  13. KiwiBrian

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in news:1vudt09b27obb
    $:

    > But where is this firmware with a firewall in it ?

    I don't know where it is though... Sorry for being snarky.
    I will shut up now.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2006
  14. KiwiBrian

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
    > modem.
    > I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
    > However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
    > Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
    > both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
    > Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
    > What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
    > problem?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    I have 4 Linux systems here on one of those routers.....and no problems.

    s-t-e-v-e, May 11, 2006
  15. KiwiBrian

    Allan Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 May 2006 21:17:11 -0700, cyril wrote:
    >
    >> I also am running a XH1169 with 4pc'sm, grandstream VOIP phone, and
    >> several Xport terminal servers and have not noticed any problems. That
    >> said I have no P2P apps in service.
    >>
    >> I did notice a improvement in performance when upgrading to the lattest
    >> firmware along with a reasonable firewall that the original firmware
    >> lacked.
    >>
    >> Current Firmware: cx82xxx_4.10.21
    >> Current Cust Softwre:210205_Rel10_v2
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >>
    >> Cyril

    > me too.
    >
    > But where is this firmware with a firewall in it ?
    >
    > is it the newish one on the dse web site ?
    >
    > --
    >
    > ... Brendan

    Firmware updates for selected DSE ADSL routers available here
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fi...de02740c0a87f99068a EN/catalogs/SUPDSEROUTERS

    Allan, May 11, 2006
  16. KiwiBrian

    cyril Guest

    cyril, May 11, 2006
  17. KiwiBrian

    Brendan Guest

    On 11 May 2006 12:54:25 -0700, cyril wrote:

    > If you have the Rel10V2 firmware that is on this page
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.st...740c0a87f990760/Export/catalogs/SUPDSEROUTERS
    >
    > Then when you log into the router you will find a Firewall submenu if
    > you click on the Advanced menu selection.
    >
    > I can assure you it is there.
    >
    > Cyril

    thanks to both of you.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #23396 +(18074)- [X]

    <Donut[AFK]> HEY EURAKARTE
    <Donut[AFK]> INSULT
    <Eurakarte> RETORT
    <Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-RETORT
    <Eurakarte> QUESTIONING OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE
    <Donut[AFK]> SUGGESTION TO SHUT THE **** UP
    <Eurakarte> NOTATION THAT YOU CREATE A VACUUM
    <Donut[AFK]> RIPOSTE
    <Donut[AFK]> ADDON RIPOSTE
    <Eurakarte> COUNTER-RIPOSTE
    <Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-COUNTER RIPOSTE
    <Eurakarte> NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON
    <Miles_Prower> RESPONSE TO RANDOM STATEMENT AND THREAT TO BAN OPPOSING
    SIDES
    <Eurakarte> WORDS OF PRAISE FOR FISHFOOD
    <Miles_Prower> ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTENCE OF TERMS

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 10:19:35 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 13, 2006