    seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
    unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
    their asking prices?

    xlo, Nov 27, 2004

  2. xlo

    Daniel Guest

    xlo wrote:
    > Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/435mk

    Yep. I saw that deal a while back. You should go for it.

    For your needs this will suit perfectly, but, I strongly recommend you
    spend the extra $99 and upgrade to 512MB RAM.

    If your budget will stretch, spend an extra $120 to extend the warranty
    to 3 yrs.

    Acer seem to have sorted their act out on the laptop front these days.
    I know a couple of guys with Acers, and they run quite nicely.

    Daniel, Nov 27, 2004

  3. xlo said the following on 27/11/2004 21:48:
    > Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/435mk
    >
    > I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
    > reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
    > aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
    >
    > I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a 800mhz
    > cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that criteria
    > seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
    > unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
    > their asking prices?

    I would check up on the legality of using that munged address if I was
    you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about it
    being a non no to screw with .govt.nz domains in any way.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 27, 2004
  4. xlo

    xlo Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > xlo said the following on 27/11/2004 21:48:
    >
    >> Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from
    >> DSE?
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/435mk
    >>
    >> I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
    >> reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
    >> aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
    >>
    >> I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a
    >> 800mhz cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that
    >> criteria seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner.
    >> All have an unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get
    >> anywhere near their asking prices?

    > I would check up on the legality of using that munged address if I was
    > you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about it
    > being a non no to screw with .govt.nz domains in any way.

    Your paranoia is infectious.
    :)

    xlo, Nov 28, 2004
  5. xlo

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    xlo wrote:
    > Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/435mk
    >
    > I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
    > reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
    > aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
    >
    > I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a 800mhz
    > cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that criteria
    > seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
    > unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
    > their asking prices?

    OK Dell arn't Acer, but Dell do have some quite good deals on what your
    looking for.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 28, 2004