DSE 802.11b PCI wireless and Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    All

    The latest Linux driver source code for the RT2400-based wireless (802.11b)
    network cards from DSE works great with Linux.

    You do need to:

    - download and extract the latest source

    - add one line to each of 3 *.cpp files in ~/rt2400_linux/Utility (if you
    aren't using RedHat)

    - apply the kmalloc patch to the source

    - ./Configure/ make / make install the module, then do the same for
    RaConfig gui utlity

    - then just insmod the module, bring the interface up

    - Use RaConfig to set the ESSID and channel

    - stop and start ra0 via ifconfig

    - config the network inteface via ifconfig

    - add the default route.

    ......awaaay you gooo.

    That might sound like a lot, but it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

    The RaConfig gui utility lets you create a profile, activate it and then
    scan for an AP....which it found (in this case an 802.11g from DSE)...and
    to connect. It showed signal strength at 82% at 2 metres distance.

    I'm sending this post now through my brand new wireless connection!! I'm a
    happy chappy.

    I can provide more detailed instrucitons if anyone needs them. Or you can
    work it out yourself in the forums at www.minitar.com.
    steve, Feb 17, 2004