  1. http://tinyurl.com/85p2o

    Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    William Hamilton, Apr 24, 2005

  2. William Hamilton wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >
    > Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    > installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    They have Realtek chips. About the lowest quality you can get.

    I personally would pay 10x the price for Intel or 3Com cards, even for
    use at home.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Apr 24, 2005

  3. William Hamilton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    William Hamilton <> wrote in

    > http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >
    > Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    > installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    I am not a personal fan of this chipset, but if it works...RTL8139D

    I like Intel Nics personally. The latest drivers have a great little help
    addition that explains what all the adjustments do and suggestions for
    tweaks.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 24, 2005
  4. William Hamilton

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:35:34 +1200, William Hamilton wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >
    > Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    > installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    Chipset: RTL8139D with Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC, Physical chip and
    transceiver in one chip - 0.25u CMOS process

    realtek mofo's
    I think I have some realteks on one of these machines... never had any
    issues
    in fact .. after checking deviant is running a realtek NIC
    (debian woody)
    and so is Oberon
    (openbsd 3.6)
    and I bought mine 2nd hand off trademe for a buck each
    HTH

    Shane, Apr 24, 2005
  5. In article <426b097c$>, The Other Guy <> wrote:
    >William Hamilton wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >>
    >> Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    >> installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    >They have Realtek chips. About the lowest quality you can get.
    >
    >I personally would pay 10x the price for Intel or 3Com cards, even for
    >use at home.

    Yeah, so you end up paying 20 times as much for performance that you
    generally don't need. Most people will never notice that they've been
    given a crap NIC, and for the ones who do you can use some of the money
    you've saved and give them a quality one.
    That he's even looking at buying them in lots of 10 indicates that it's
    a low-clue organisation, meaning that they don't need expensive NICs -
    it's a waste of a lot of money.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Apr 24, 2005
  6. In article <>, Nova <> wrote:
    >William Hamilton wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >I've never had any problem with realtec chipsets and there is huge
    >support for them. NIC's aren't exactly cutting edge technology so no
    >point in paying loads for them to get a brand like intel when realtec
    >will do the exact same job.

    Depends entirely on what you need them for. For general office and home
    use, a Realtek NIC is fine. But if you need any kind of performance,
    they're useless (at least, the 10/100 ones are). Once you need to wring
    every last bit out of the link, you need to be spending the extra money
    on Intel or 3Com.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 24, 2005
  7. William Hamilton

    XPD Guest

    "William Hamilton" <> wrote in
    message news:d4f0lm$d3e$...
    > http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >
    > Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    > installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    For the price, cant complain really.... :)
    Ive installed them in clients systems and theyve bene happy with the
    performance, not that they do anything network intensive.
    XPD, Apr 24, 2005
  8. William Hamilton

    Nova Guest

    Nova, Apr 24, 2005
  9. William Hamilton

    Nova Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > In article <>, Nova <> wrote:
    >
    >>William Hamilton wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>I've never had any problem with realtec chipsets and there is huge
    >>support for them. NIC's aren't exactly cutting edge technology so no
    >>point in paying loads for them to get a brand like intel when realtec
    >>will do the exact same job.
    >>

    > Depends entirely on what you need them for. For general office and home
    > use, a Realtek NIC is fine. But if you need any kind of performance,
    > they're useless (at least, the 10/100 ones are). Once you need to wring
    > every last bit out of the link, you need to be spending the extra money
    > on Intel or 3Com.

    That really surprises me especially as there have been quite a few
    revisions of realtec chipsets on the 10/100 and it's very old
    technology now so theres only so much you can really do

    anyone needing to wring every last bit out of 10/100 should be going for
    a gigabit network heh.
    Nova, Apr 24, 2005
  10. William Hamilton

    Daver Guest

    What sort of performance are you referring to? Surely the limit is 100mbs
    which is seems to be roughly the speed I can get on transfers.

    Daver, Apr 24, 2005
  11. Matthew Poole wrote:
    > they're useless (at least, the 10/100 ones are). Once you need to wring
    > every last bit out of the link, you need to be spending the extra money
    > on Intel or 3Com.

    For the extra 1-2% that you might get for throughput, you'd be better
    investing in Gigabit ethernet instead.

    If you're referring to factors other than throughput, you might have a
    point...
    Stewart Fleming, Apr 24, 2005
  12. In article <d4f8d6$ro1$>, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >What sort of performance are you referring to? Surely the limit is 100mbs
    >which is seems to be roughly the speed I can get on transfers.

    *SNIP*

    My experience with Realtek NICs has been that if you can get 100Mb/s out
    of one, it probably isn't. The best I've ever seen on one was about
    57Mb/s sustained.
    Compare that to Intel NICs, which I have seen sustain 97+Mb/s.

    They have a bad rep for a reason.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Matthew Poole said the following on 24/04/2005 7:39 p.m.:
    > In article <d4f8d6$ro1$>, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >
    >>What sort of performance are you referring to? Surely the limit is 100mbs
    >>which is seems to be roughly the speed I can get on transfers.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > My experience with Realtek NICs has been that if you can get 100Mb/s out
    > of one, it probably isn't. The best I've ever seen on one was about
    > 57Mb/s sustained.
    > Compare that to Intel NICs, which I have seen sustain 97+Mb/s.
    >
    > They have a bad rep for a reason.

    and that reason is ?

    what actual fault do they exhibit that makes them so awful

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Apr 24, 2005
  14. William Hamilton

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    > what actual fault do they exhibit that makes them so awful

    They use a very large amount of CPU time and max out long before
    actually acheiving 100 Mbps (unless perhaps you have a faster CPU than
    I've seen).

    Not really a problem if you're just using it to talk to your DSL or
    cable modem but nasty if you're, for example, trying to distribute
    software builds to different machines using distcc.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Apr 24, 2005
  15. On 24 Apr 2005 14:43:32 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >William Hamilton <> wrote in
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >>
    >> Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    >> installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    >I am not a personal fan of this chipset, but if it works...RTL8139D

    IME they work well enough in most apps
    Twas such a great thing to switch to these from crappy old Compex
    cards that needed so much work to get these going in Windows

    >I like Intel Nics personally. The latest drivers have a great little help
    >addition that explains what all the adjustments do and suggestions for
    >tweaks.

    Lots of integrated boards have Intel nic chips
    Makes life simple for network boot floppys
    FreedomChooser, Apr 24, 2005

  16. > My experience with Realtek NICs has been that if you can get 100Mb/s out
    > of one, it probably isn't. The best I've ever seen on one was about
    > 57Mb/s sustained.
    > Compare that to Intel NICs, which I have seen sustain 97+Mb/s.
    >
    > They have a bad rep for a reason.

    One of the students in the WAND group at Waikato Uni ran up some
    software for throughput testing. The machines he was using happened to
    have a variety of Realtek cards in it - C and D revision chipsets,
    10/100 Mbit cards, on a Cisco 3548 switch.

    He saw a noticeable difference (~10 Mbps or so) between the C and D
    revisions, with the D scoring about 95Mbps. That's sustained throughput.
    The only cavaet is that it was using a througput testing application, so
    the NIC was seeing only large packets. This was on P2-233 machines,
    about 3 years ago.

    I've often seen the opinion voiced that Realteks are crap[1], but I
    wouldn't complain at 95Mbps throughput on a 10/100 nic. Especially at
    $12 or whatever you can get them for these days.

    [1] It's also often voiced by people who 'used them ages ago and they
    were crap' or people who have a mate who did the same thing.

    I think it's fair to say that Realteks *used* to be crap, and they used
    to rely a lot more on the host processer (ie, did more in drivers). That
    mattered when you had a P133. If you're putting it in anything more
    recent than the P2-233 I mentioned earlier, I doubt you'll have problems
    with raw throughput.

    Incidentally, there are DSE Realtek GigE adapters, which should give you
    far better throughput than the Intel 10/100 Desktop adapters. As other
    people have suggested, if throughput concerns you, go for gigabit,
    rather than more expensive 10/100 cards.
    Daniel Lawson, Apr 25, 2005
  17. William Hamilton

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >> what actual fault do they exhibit that makes them
    >> so awful

    > They use a very large amount of CPU time and max out
    > long before actually acheiving 100 Mbps (unless
    > perhaps you have a faster CPU than I've seen).
    >
    > Not really a problem if you're just using it to
    > talk to your DSL or cable modem but nasty if
    > you're, for example, trying to distribute
    > software builds to different machines using distcc.

    Which would be pretty unusual.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2005
  18. William Hamilton

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > > Not really a problem if you're just using it to
    > > talk to your DSL or cable modem but nasty if
    > > you're, for example, trying to distribute
    > > software builds to different machines using distcc.

    > Which would be pretty unusual.

    Two out of two of us in this house do it.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Apr 25, 2005
  19. William Hamilton wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/85p2o
    >
    > Are these worth grabbing a box of? It is for a clients inhouse
    > installaion so nothing too mission critical.

    Thanks for all the feedback.

    William Hamilton, Apr 25, 2005