"Dscn" what camera/picture serial prefix????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Ed Ruf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:29:08 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "john.paul"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anybody tell me from what digicamera "Dscn" is the picture serial prefix

    If you have an unmodified image it will contain the camera used in the
    EXIF info. You can use free software such as Irfanview with it's plug ins
    to look at this info. At least one manufacturer that uses this prefix is
    Nikon.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Ed Ruf

    john.paul Guest

    Can anybody tell me from what digicamera "Dscn" is the picture serial prefix

    Thanks in advance

    John Paul.

    john.paul, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Ed Ruf

    Bowser Guest

    Sony

    Bowser, Aug 7, 2004
  4. >> Can anybody tell me from what digicamera "Dscn" is the picture
    >> serial prefix

    Nikon Coolpix 995 and 5700 and others. I think the "N" is Nikon, and the
    "D" is digital. "C" may be Camera, but the "S" has me beaten!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 7, 2004
  5. David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> Can anybody tell me from what digicamera "Dscn" is the picture
    >>> serial prefix

    > Nikon Coolpix 995 and 5700 and others. I think the "N" is Nikon, and
    > the "D" is digital. "C" may be Camera, but the "S" has me beaten!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Second thoughts: Digital Still Camera....Nikon

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 7, 2004
  6. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes:

    > Nikon Coolpix 995 and 5700 and others. I think the "N" is Nikon, and the
    > "D" is digital. "C" may be Camera, but the "S" has me beaten!

    That's the filename prefix on my CoolPix, but I've forgotten whether it's
    the 995 or 990 or some other 99x.

    I never thought about it having a meaning, but Digital Still Camera Nikon
    sprang to mind when I saw your post. I don't have a digital video camera,
    so I can't compare file names. My wife's Canon digital cameras use IMG as
    the prefix on file names. She has a Sony Mavica that saves to floppies, and
    the prefix on those images is MVC. I think Mavica is a play on the acronym
    MVC, but I don't know what MVC means.

    Phil Stripling, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Ed Ruf

    Crownfield Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > > Nikon Coolpix 995 and 5700 and others. I think the "N" is Nikon, and
    > > the "D" is digital. "C" may be Camera, but the "S" has me beaten!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > David

    > Second thoughts: Digital Still Camera....Nikon

    and when my s2 CF cards download to the mindstor,

    they are in DCIM/100_Fuji
    the dimage 7 put them into DCIM/100MLT03
    but sometimes into DCIM/101MLT03.

    Crownfield, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Ed Ruf

    Bowser Guest

    Doh! I missed the "n."

    Never mind.

    Bowser, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Ed Ruf

    Bongo Bob Guest

    john.paul asked:

    > Can anybody tell me from what digicamera
    > "Dscn" is the picture serial prefix

    Nikon Coolpix 995 uses DSCN. Perhaps others.
    The D100 uses DSC. Perhaps others.

    Bongo Bob, Aug 7, 2004
  10. "Bongo Bob" <> wrote in message
    > john.paul asked:
    >
    > > Can anybody tell me from what digicamera
    > > "Dscn" is the picture serial prefix

    > Nikon Coolpix 995 uses DSCN. Perhaps others.
    > The D100 uses DSC. Perhaps others.

    Nikon CoolPix (at least this applies to the CoolPix 2100 model that I own),
    also uses other variations of serial prefixes:

    * RSCN####: Photo that was resized using the camera's in-camera cropping
    feature.

    * SSCN####: Copy of an original photo that was saved as by the camera as a
    small picture (e.g., 640x480, 320x200, 160x100).

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Aug 11, 2004