    sound is quiet but is picked up on movies with little background
    sound. Does anybody else's camera make this sound? Put yours into
    movie mode and put the camera body to your ear....
    A Cameron, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Could be a similar thing to what the Minolta Z1 suffers from.
    You're probably listening to the auto focus motor switching or the motor
    noise itself. On the Z1, everytime the lens focuses, there is a click on the
    soundtrack sort of like a computer keypress.
    Personally it doesn't bother me... if I wanted a movie, as such, then I'd
    use a movie camera, rather than expect my still cam to do as good a job.
    It's "horses-for-courses" after all.

    -craig.

    Karen Marshall, Jan 3, 2004

  3. A Cameron

    Donald Link Guest

    I find that still cameras trying to use the movie mode and movie cameras
    trying to use the still mode are a far cry from using a still camera and
    movie camera exclusively. I understand the economics but you have to be
    willing to put up with quirks when using one camera for both. Probably the
    noise is caused from the extended time needed to write to the memory stick.
    I am just glad that the price of good still cameras and video cameras are
    dropping so fast. I have the DSC-P10 and a Sony DV Tr33 video camera. The
    worst video I have seen is trying to take video with the DV camera set to
    Video on the memory stick. There should be no reason for doing this.
    However, I find that the still pictures taken with the video memory stick
    come out much better than one could expect.

    Donald Link, Jan 6, 2004
  4. A Cameron

    Jochen Fuchs Guest

    Alistair,

    made the same observation with a recently (Jan03) bought DSC-P10. If
    you watch closely you will recognize that the noise only happens when
    you move the camera, i.e. if the image is altered in any way. IMHO the
    camera uses another memory bus system speed when in movie mode which
    -during data transfer- somehow interferes with the speaker, which in
    turn then can be heard on the mic as well. To avoid this, turning of
    the AF or producing higher background noice volume ;-) were the only
    patches I found.

    Besides this, a great camera and -as mentioned by the others- the
    movie option is a great add-on.

    Best regards,
    Jochen

    Jochen Fuchs, Jan 7, 2004