dsc-f717 Sony recall replacement not good

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by edavid3001@gmail.com, May 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a DSC-F717 which was part of the recall. It did go bad, and
    I sent it off for repair.

    However, since they *repaired* it, it just doesn't work as well. When
    I try to take pictures in auto mode, the camera has a hard time
    getting the white balance configured. Many of the pictures turn out
    over or under exposed. With the graph turned on, one can often see
    areas of the spectrum either completely at 0, or 100%.

    Some samples are here;

    This one is very dark. It is at sunset, and the sun is at an angle
    but still behind me;
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/495421887_e57baf353a_b.jpg

    Over exposed;
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/495369478_0576ada13a_b.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/495384470_f2ffe2a04f_b.jpg

    The camera jumps from over to under while I am holding the button half
    way down.

    So it appears my CCD was replaced with a lower quality one or one not
    attached correctly. Who do I contact for this? Am I SOL and have to
    use this as a manual camera?

    , May 22, 2007

  2. <> wrote in message news:...

    >I have a DSC-F717 which was part of the recall. It did go bad, and
    > I sent it off for repair.
    >
    > However, since they *repaired* it, it just doesn't work as well. When
    > I try to take pictures in auto mode, the camera has a hard time
    > getting the white balance configured. Many of the pictures turn out
    > over or under exposed. With the graph turned on, one can often see
    > areas of the spectrum either completely at 0, or 100%.
    >
    > Some samples are here;
    >
    > This one is very dark. It is at sunset, and the sun is at an angle
    > but still behind me;
    > http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/495421887_e57baf353a_b.jpg
    >
    > Over exposed;
    > http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/495369478_0576ada13a_b.jpg
    > http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/495384470_f2ffe2a04f_b.jpg
    >
    > The camera jumps from over to under while I am holding the button half
    > way down.
    >
    > So it appears my CCD was replaced with a lower quality one or one not
    > attached correctly. Who do I contact for this? Am I SOL and have to
    > use this as a manual camera?

    Why not contact Sony about it?
    --DR

    David Ruether, May 23, 2007

  3. Guest

    I have identical problem with DSC-F717, display went blank a few days
    ago. I noticed online that there is a worldwide recall on Sony
    defective image sensors, and a class action suit against Sony for CCD
    failures. I sent my DSC-F717 to Sony's repair facility in Laredo TX,
    and got it back last week, no charge for the repair. It's not working
    properly. The "insufficient light indicator" goes on in Program mode
    even if there is plenty of light. The result is over exposed photos.
    As the previous poster noted, the Histogram display "jumps" when
    holding the button halfway down. Seems to work OK in Shutter/Aperture
    priority mode and in Manual mode. Also the camera was scratched badly
    during repair. I will call Sony today.

    On 22 May 2007 13:44:51 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a DSC-F717 which was part of the recall. It did go bad, and
    >I sent it off for repair.
    >
    >However, since they *repaired* it, it just doesn't work as well. When
    >I try to take pictures in auto mode, the camera has a hard time
    >getting the white balance configured. Many of the pictures turn out
    >over or under exposed. With the graph turned on, one can often see
    >areas of the spectrum either completely at 0, or 100%.
    >
    >Some samples are here;
    >
    >This one is very dark. It is at sunset, and the sun is at an angle
    >but still behind me;
    >http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/495421887_e57baf353a_b.jpg
    >
    >Over exposed;
    >http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/495369478_0576ada13a_b.jpg
    >http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/495384470_f2ffe2a04f_b.jpg
    >
    >The camera jumps from over to under while I am holding the button half
    >way down.
    >
    >So it appears my CCD was replaced with a lower quality one or one not
    >attached correctly. Who do I contact for this? Am I SOL and have to
    >use this as a manual camera?

    , Jun 25, 2007