    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Me Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:46:56 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Consuming up to 95% of resources and runs for hours on end.
    >Seems to only have been a problem in the last couple of weeks, all updates
    >and patches applied, running 2k pro
    >Do I need it running? If not how can I kill it?
    >Is it related to a problem I'm having with the modem? (struggling to surf,
    >reboots when I try to disconnect from the net)

    get new drivers for your modem, or ditch it for a better model, they
    are so cheap these days....

    Me, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Southern Kiwi

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:46:56 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Consuming up to 95% of resources and runs for hours on end.
    >Seems to only have been a problem in the last couple of weeks, all updates
    >and patches applied, running 2k pro
    >Do I need it running? If not how can I kill it?
    >Is it related to a problem I'm having with the modem? (struggling to surf,
    >reboots when I try to disconnect from the net)

    No you probably don't need it, but it shouldn't be running all the
    time. I'd say that you had another problem. Any other symptoms?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Enkidu, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Tim Guest

    Look in the Windows NT Event log and see if there are any errors there
    indicating Dr Watson has kicked in.
    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Log. Look in System and
    Application for possible further info.
    Some duff software could do it I suppose.

    Tim, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Bok Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Consuming up to 95% of resources and runs for hours on end.
    > Seems to only have been a problem in the last couple of weeks, all updates
    > and patches applied, running 2k pro
    > Do I need it running? If not how can I kill it?
    > Is it related to a problem I'm having with the modem? (struggling to surf,
    > reboots when I try to disconnect from the net)

    Is the process image name drwtsn32.exe or something else?

    Dr Watson is initiated by the O/S as 'the default' post mortem or 'just
    in time' debugger when a user process encounters an unhandled system
    exception such as a 'memory access violation' [unhandled means the app
    didn't handle and consume the exception]

    Normally Dr Watson writes some information to a log, optionally
    creates a 'crash dump', tears down the faulting process and terminates.

    It's certainly not normal to see drwtrsn32 running continuously on NT/2K
    or XP.

    One possibility is that it's rogue malware masquerading as Dr Watson.
    This should be straightforward to check.

    Another possibility is you are looking at multiple incarnations of Dr
    Watson in task manager. Check if the PID is changing or is it the same
    one running 'for hours on end'?

    If the PID is changing, it's likey that some user process is crashing
    and restarting over and over. You can find evidence of this in the
    event log.

    I'd first try killing off the 'dr watson' process via task manager and
    see if it comes back.

    Also try running drwtsn32 manually. This should present an options
    dialog. Take a look at the setting for Log File Path and from there the
    contents of drwtrsn.log for further clues.

    Bok, Jan 18, 2005
  6. Thanks to all the replies,

    I could not end DrWatson via taskmanager, but after allowing it to run (3
    hours) it finished and I have had no further problems.
    I *think* it was to do with my modem crashing a couple of times.
    All scans now report no probs

    Southern Kiwi, Jan 18, 2005