drwatson.exe or drwtsn32.exe and other questions . . .

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Using XPpro/SP2.
    Just came to my notice while looking at the details of a defrag report that
    one of the top fragmented files is drwtsn32.log, an incredible 33,485 KB
    which documents the failure of yahoo messenger back in 2005. Am I correct
    in assuming it would be safe to delete the contents of that log?
    I also got curious about Dr Watson and, per MS's explanation, it's supposed
    to document system failures for research purposes. MS also noted that:
    "Microsoft recommends that you use Drwtsn32.exe instead of Drwatson.exe in
    Windows XP". I noticed that I've got drwatson.exe AND drwtsn32.exe (both
    found in C:\WINDOWS\system32).
    Do I need both? Do I, in fact, need either one of them? Seeing as no
    failures have been logged since 2005 (and I'm sure I've had system or
    program failures since then), they don't appear to be doing their job, or
    maybe they can't because they're somehow competing with one another?
    Your advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    --
    Alan

    *alan*, Sep 18, 2007

  2. *alan*

    Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote:

    >Using XPpro/SP2.
    >Just came to my notice while looking at the details of a defrag report that
    >one of the top fragmented files is drwtsn32.log, an incredible 33,485 KB
    >which documents the failure of yahoo messenger back in 2005. Am I correct
    >in assuming it would be safe to delete the contents of that log?
    >I also got curious about Dr Watson and, per MS's explanation, it's supposed
    >to document system failures for research purposes. MS also noted that:
    >"Microsoft recommends that you use Drwtsn32.exe instead of Drwatson.exe in
    >Windows XP". I noticed that I've got drwatson.exe AND drwtsn32.exe (both
    >found in C:\WINDOWS\system32).
    >Do I need both? Do I, in fact, need either one of them? Seeing as no
    >failures have been logged since 2005 (and I'm sure I've had system or
    >program failures since then), they don't appear to be doing their job, or
    >maybe they can't because they're somehow competing with one another?
    >Your advice would be appreciated.
    >Thank you.

    Screw em keep them where they are, but

    Start | Run <type in>
    drwtsn32
    <enter>

    Unselect everything and my log file path is to my temp directory so it
    gets deleted with the rest of the trash.

    (insert %temp% as the path)

    Search for and delete all .DMP files, they will be hugh as well.
    --

    http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

    , Sep 18, 2007

  3. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    <> wrote
    > "*alan*" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Using XPpro/SP2.
    >>Just came to my notice while looking at the details of a defrag report
    >>that
    >>one of the top fragmented files is drwtsn32.log, an incredible 33,485 KB
    >>which documents the failure of yahoo messenger back in 2005. Am I correct
    >>in assuming it would be safe to delete the contents of that log?
    >>I also got curious about Dr Watson and, per MS's explanation, it's
    >>supposed
    >>to document system failures for research purposes. MS also noted that:
    >>"Microsoft recommends that you use Drwtsn32.exe instead of Drwatson.exe in
    >>Windows XP". I noticed that I've got drwatson.exe AND drwtsn32.exe (both
    >>found in C:\WINDOWS\system32).
    >>Do I need both? Do I, in fact, need either one of them? Seeing as no
    >>failures have been logged since 2005 (and I'm sure I've had system or
    >>program failures since then), they don't appear to be doing their job, or
    >>maybe they can't because they're somehow competing with one another?
    >>Your advice would be appreciated.
    >>Thank you.

    > Screw em keep them where they are, but
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > drwtsn32
    > <enter>
    >
    > Unselect everything and my log file path is to my temp directory so it
    > gets deleted with the rest of the trash.
    >
    > (insert %temp% as the path)
    >
    > Search for and delete all .DMP files, they will be hugh as well.

    Thanks Pennywise --- I followed your advice (unselected all, and changed log
    file path to %temp%), and also did a search for .DMP files.
    Oddly enough the search only turned up two .dmp files:
    (1) user.dmp C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
    and
    (2) crashdat.dmp C:\Documents and Settings\al\Application
    Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\crashdata
    66 KB and 50 KB respectively --- not huge at all.

    Thanks again for your help.
    --
    Alan

    *alan*, Sep 18, 2007