Dropped/slow packets - VERY odd

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Justin Rich, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Justin Rich

    Justin Rich Guest

    I have a problem with two of my deskops.

    if i do a ping -t 192.168.15.1 it pings the router... and every so often..
    30 seconds or so.. almost a solid pattern... it will either drop a packet..
    or give a response of 800 to 1500ms.. the typical response is 1ms..

    its all linksys.. the router and the two desktop network cards.

    the laptops i have tested dont have this problem. one has a built in card
    and the other has a 3com.

    I have tried a different nic in my desktop (netgear) and that didnt fix the
    problem... i changed the router to netgear (with the linksys card in the
    desktop) didnt help..

    with the laptop sitting on top of my computer the laptop is fine...

    the router is on floor 1... my desktop on floor 2... (strong signal.. 80%
    and up) and there is a desktop on the 3rd floor (40% and up) that has the
    same problem..a laptop anywhere in the house is fine.. sitting right next to
    the desktops is fine...

    i have heard of things causing interfernece with the signal (such as
    wireless phones) but i would assume that would effect all machines

    i have also tried changing the channel (min, max, mid) all channels do it.

    i also tried a wireless monitor program (netstumbler i think?) and there was
    never a flux in the service.

    i am out of ideas.... any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Justin

    Justin Rich, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Are your cards PCI cards or USB?

    If they are PCI, can you try a different slot or try a USB adapter?

    I'm thinking it's possible that the desktop systems themselves are
    interfering with wireless.

    (Just a random guess.)

    If you get the desktop off the floor, does it help?

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], May 5, 2005