    through if started when the house phone is in use.

    Any thoughts?

    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. Steven Guest

    This sound like either the ringer voltage or the callerID is disrupting the internet service.
    One test would be to go to some steaming musing site and see if it occurs there as well.

    If so, this would not be a skype issue, but a DSL issue and would nee to be addresses by Verizon.

    Steven

    http://www.glimasoutheast.org

    Steven, Jun 20, 2006

  3. Bill Kearney Guest

    > Any thoughts?

    Verify that your DSL modem it getting clean access to the POTS line and that
    all other devices are behind DSL filters. Otherwise there's a central
    office or wiring problem.

    Try this, unplug all other phones or anything else connected to the POTS
    line and leave just the DSL modem connected. Make your skype call and then
    dial in using a cell phone. See if the problem remains. If not then
    there's something in the house that's connected to the line that's causing
    trouble. Try them, one by one, until the problem returns. It could also be
    bad wiring in the house. So if you can get to your outside phone box (the
    network interface) you could run a telephone extension to the DSL modem and
    use that socket to test.

    I've found it's best to put in a special jack just for the DSL modem and
    then run ALL other in-house devices through a single DSL filter. This way
    you don't end up with a ton of those damned filters plugged in all over the
    place.

    Bill Kearney, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Yashvan Guest

    Thanks to all that have answered.

    I believe I have found the problem and it is related to the Alarm
    system. If I unplug the alarm from the RJ31X box all works as it
    should. I now have on order a RJ31X DSL filter that I am hoping will
    fix all of my issues.

    In checking everything, I forgot about the alarm system, but unlike any
    of the other telecom devices used in the house, it seemed to work fine
    without any changes. I was able to test the system and get feed back
    from the alarm monitoring co, as well as summon the police when the
    alarm was accidently set off. I guess I did not think it was effected
    by the DSL (or for that matter the HPNA) frequencies used in the house.

    They tell me my HPNA network will also work better with this filter
    although I have never had a problem with it.

    I will also think about the concept of running the splitter outside at
    the demarc. Not sure I want to do that at this time. Fiber has come to
    my neighborhood and I am considering that as a possible change.

    Again thanks for your help.

    Yashvan, Jun 22, 2006
  5. Bill Kearney Guest

    > I will also think about the concept of running the splitter outside at
    > the demarc.

    The splitter/filter doesn't have to be outside. Run a single line in from
    the demarc, to a punchdown block. Pull one pair off to the DSL modem. Pull
    another pair off to a filter and run all other house lines, including the
    alarm, through that. The alarm only needs to be able to grab the voice dial
    tone. Most alarms, when triggered, will cut off any other voice calls in
    progress, wait a second for a new dial tone, and dial out. The DSL unit
    won't even be making a 'voice call' so you need not have it upstream of the
    alarm device. Just make sure you never plug a voice phone into the DSL
    port. Otherwise, yeah, you'd need to get a DSL filter designed to integrate
    with an alarm system.

    If you have neighborhood fiber (most likely Verizon) DO NOT LET THEM TAKE
    DOWN YOUR COPPER LINES. They're remove 'em for free. But if (when) you
    want to go back to regular telephone service you'll have to spend a couple
    of HUNDRED dollars to have new copper wires pulled back to your house.
    DON'T DO IT. Leave the copper up there, it won't harm anything and new
    fiber can be pulled right along with it.

    -Bill Kearney

    Bill Kearney, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Yashvan Guest

    I got the special DSL filter and my problems have disappeared.

    I am holding off on the Fiber line because of the fear of a power
    failure longer than the backup battery will keep the line running. The
    battery on the Fiber line is only good for 8- 10 hours, a DSL line is
    still powered at least pots line by the Telco office and they have a
    back up generater.

    Thanks for the advice

    Yashvan, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Bill Kearney Guest

    "Yashvan" <> wrote in message
    > I got the special DSL filter and my problems have disappeared.

    Heh, it's always the simple stuff, eh?

    > I am holding off on the Fiber line because of the fear of a power
    > failure longer than the backup battery will keep the line running. The
    > battery on the Fiber line is only good for 8- 10 hours, a DSL line is
    > still powered at least pots line by the Telco office and they have a
    > back up generater.

    Well, if you're using the telco's DSL then it's certainly likely to stay
    online. Most 3rd party services usually get power from the same setup so
    they'd be likely to stay online as well.

    But in this day and age, if power goes out most folks would just use their
    cell phones and keep 'em charged in the car. That's what I did when power
    went out for six days after Hurricane Isabel.

    The DSL line (speakeasy) stayed live the entire time but there wasn't power
    for the DSL modem or the WiFi access point. Well, there WAS, for the first
    two days anyway, via battery UPSes. But when those tanked it was time to
    surf from neighbor's wifi...

    Glad to hear you got things working again.

    -Bill Kearney

    Bill Kearney, Jun 28, 2006