    it a problem that i am seeing dropped packets at all on our isp's
    routers. Thanks
    , Feb 15, 2007

  2. Guest

    On 15 Feb, 10:11, wrote:
    > I am told that we are monitoring and reading dropped packets from some
    > of the routers at our isp. I am not sure what amount of dropped
    > packets there are as a percentage of total bandwidth, over the time
    > that we are monitoring. Should i be concerned about that fact or is
    > it a problem that i am seeing dropped packets at all on our isp's
    > routers. Thanks

    It does depend a great deal on the circumstances.

    In some cases you shuold see no dropped packets
    however it is as well to bear in mind that TCP
    is designed to cause routers to drop packets.

    Let me repeat in case it wasn;t clear:-

    TCP is designed to cause routers to drop packets.

    If you have sufficiently fast hardware TCP increases
    the data rate being sent until a dropped packet (or
    more) is detected. Then it backs off and repeats.

    We sometimes get them on our LAN e.g. during backups.

    Packets can also be dropped because routers are
    overloaded. You pretty much need to take each case as it comes.

    I am sure that if you post more details then someone here will
    offer some comments.

    what model of router
    what are its interfaces
    what bandwidth are they
    are the drops input drops or output drops]
    , Feb 15, 2007