    What am I doing wrong here? I have never knowingly loaded any SATA drivers,
    are these required without RAID configuration? I don’t have any errors
    showing in Device Manager. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGltZXkgbGFk?=, Oct 12, 2006

  2. In order of likely cause:
    1.) Bad or loose cable. SATA cables are notoriously iffy and I've seen this
    often.
    2.) Old BIOS - that motherboard had early BIOS problems. (It's an ASUS,
    after all!)
    3.) Bad or failing HD

    Notice that NONE of those are drivers. All are hardware related.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Thanks Charlie

    1. I started with the SATA cables supplied with WD drives then switched to
    newer locking cables. No change.
    2. Bios is 1017 which still doesn’t allow me to determine the drive order.
    1016 didn’t allow this either. If memory serves my ASUS CD will not now let
    me return to an earlier/lower bios flash.
    3. I’m thinking of dumping drive D:\ contents and switching it to boot drive
    with a fresh XP 64 load to see if problems cease.

    What do you think? Maybe a new bios chip?
    John

    =?Utf-8?B?TGltZXkgbGFk?=, Oct 13, 2006