    get the data back but not enough to pay a service $$$.
    Thanks,
    Arawak
    Arawak, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Arawak

    Rob K Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:31:07 -0700, Arawak wrote:

    > After dropping my laptop

    <snip>

    The trick is to be prepared - and to apply a bit of TLC.

    Do you want just the photos and mail, or maybe more ?

    For a mail backup(assuming OE): http://www.tomsterdam.com

    Ok now for the TLC bit. Google for free HD rescue tools, select a couple
    of them, slave the soon-to-die drive (don't forget to cross your
    fingers, you'll need a bit of luck) - and copy what you need.

    Some s/w vendors offer free a free trial.

    Good luck !

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Arawak

    SgtMinor Guest

    Arawak wrote:

    > After dropping my laptop (Dell Latitude D400), I was unable to access
    > the HD. A couple of time I got into WinXP but then it shut down
    > without warning. Other times I get the message to backup as the IDE
    > controller is not functioning within paramiters but mostly I get a
    > message saying Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found. Dell replaced the
    > harddrive and that works great but the left me the old hard drive for
    > 7 days so I could try to rescue any data before returning it to them.
    > I tried HDD Regenerator but it was unable to find any HDD.
    > Since the drive was Fujitsu, I was able to detect it with a Fujitsu
    > utility but the program only suggest I contact Fujitsu support who
    > said the drive is OEM and not supported.
    > I just wanted to save my photos and possibly emails.
    > Any other solution or options before I give up? I would really love to
    > get the data back but not enough to pay a service $$$.
    > Thanks,
    > Arawak

    Let SpinRite take a crack at it. I've seen it recover more than one
    hard drive, including one in a laptop that was dropped onto a marble
    floor. Not cheap, but highly recommended. Runs off a floppy:

    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
    SgtMinor, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Arawak

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Arawak" <> wrote in message
    > After dropping my laptop (Dell Latitude D400), I was unable to access
    > the HD. A couple of time I got into WinXP but then it shut down
    > without warning. Other times I get the message to backup as the IDE
    > controller is not functioning within paramiters but mostly I get a
    > message saying Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found. Dell replaced the
    > harddrive and that works great but the left me the old hard drive for
    > 7 days so I could try to rescue any data before returning it to them.
    > I tried HDD Regenerator but it was unable to find any HDD.
    > Since the drive was Fujitsu, I was able to detect it with a Fujitsu
    > utility but the program only suggest I contact Fujitsu support who
    > said the drive is OEM and not supported.
    > I just wanted to save my photos and possibly emails.
    > Any other solution or options before I give up? I would really love to
    > get the data back but not enough to pay a service $$$.
    > Thanks,
    > Arawak

    Before you go spending money,try it in another machine--hard drives are
    pretty robust,probably the board in the laptop
    Timberwolf, Dec 15, 2004
  5. Arawak

    Richard Guest

    "Arawak" <> wrote in message
    > After dropping my laptop (Dell Latitude D400), I was unable to access
    > the HD. A couple of time I got into WinXP but then it shut down
    > without warning. Other times I get the message to backup as the IDE
    > controller is not functioning within paramiters but mostly I get a
    > message saying Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found. Dell replaced the
    > harddrive and that works great but the left me the old hard drive for
    > 7 days so I could try to rescue any data before returning it to them.
    > I tried HDD Regenerator but it was unable to find any HDD.
    > Since the drive was Fujitsu, I was able to detect it with a Fujitsu
    > utility but the program only suggest I contact Fujitsu support who
    > said the drive is OEM and not supported.
    > I just wanted to save my photos and possibly emails.
    > Any other solution or options before I give up? I would really love to
    > get the data back but not enough to pay a service $$$.
    > Thanks,
    > Arawak

    Do a little investigating first.
    Remove the cover and see if any wires came loose.
    Could be a power plug wiggled loose.
    If that fails, take out the drive and put in another machine.
    If it works now, you know you've got a bad board and should send it back for
    repair or replacement.
    otherwise, you'll need a good technical person to recover the data.
    Richard, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion but it is definitely the hard drive.
    I transferred it to a couple different external USB enclosures which I
    then connected to my desktop but so far HDD Regenerator has been
    unable to identify the drive. No luck either with Spinrite 6.0.
    Bizarrely enough when I put the drive back in the laptop, Easy
    Recovery correctly identifies the drive but shows an "Unknown"
    partition. Unfortunately the program only recognizes my floppy drive
    for backup instead of any of my external USB attached external or CDRW
    drives. The damaged HD is 60GB.
    I wish Spinrite or HDD Regenerator was able to recognize the drive.

    Arawak, Dec 15, 2004
  7. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried Spinrite 6.0 but it does claims to have problems accessing the
    drive even though Easy Recovery is able to correctly identifies it.
    As a last resory I may let ER run overnigh to see what shows up.
    I just want my photos and email messages. Boo-hoo....

    Arawak, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Thanks for the link. It will come in handy for future backup but righ
    now none of the programs I came across on the site seem able to help
    unless installed on a workable drive.

    Arawak, Dec 15, 2004
  9. Arawak

    tigger Guest

    > "Arawak" <> wrote in message
    > > After dropping my laptop (Dell Latitude D400), I was unable to access
    > > the HD. A couple of time I got into WinXP but then it shut down
    > > without warning. Other times I get the message to backup as the IDE
    > > controller is not functioning within paramiters but mostly I get a
    > > message saying Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found. Dell replaced the
    > > harddrive and that works great but the left me the old hard drive for
    > > 7 days so I could try to rescue any data before returning it to them.
    > > I tried HDD Regenerator but it was unable to find any HDD.
    > > Since the drive was Fujitsu, I was able to detect it with a Fujitsu
    > > utility but the program only suggest I contact Fujitsu support who
    > > said the drive is OEM and not supported.
    > > I just wanted to save my photos and possibly emails.
    > > Any other solution or options before I give up? I would really love to
    > > get the data back but not enough to pay a service $$$.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Arawak

    > Do a little investigating first.
    > Remove the cover and see if any wires came loose.
    > Could be a power plug wiggled loose.
    > If that fails, take out the drive and put in another machine.
    > If it works now, you know you've got a bad board and should send it back

    for
    > repair or replacement.
    > otherwise, you'll need a good technical person to recover the data.

    this helped me to recover a non working HDD. shove it in a plastic bag,
    remove all the air and then seal it. place in freezer compartment overnight
    or longer. quickly fitted it and was able to get my important stuff back.
    if this works your problem will be where to quickly store your stuff before
    the drive fails again. fine if you have an external drive caddy or perhaps
    a usb pen drive.
    regards

    *Put the cat out at night* when you reply
    tigger, Dec 15, 2004