    to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
    Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
    out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

    cyber_simon, Jul 20, 2006

  2. cyber_simon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    cyber_simon wrote:
    > Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    > drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    > plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
    > but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
    > it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers
    > . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music,
    > movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then
    > it fell to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material
    > on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any
    > suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
    > this.............................Peace

    Having experienced this exact same situation, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
    Those Travelstar drives do not handle that kind of thing very well...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2006

  3. cyber_simon

    Guest

    It is very probable that internal damge has occured, and the head
    assembly has been knocked out of alignment.

    In this condition, the drive may be recoverable by one of the labs that
    remove the platters, and read them on a jig assembly that is designed
    for data retrieval. These services are very expensive.

    This demonstratest the strong requirement for backing up all data.

    One of the number of services that perform disk data recovery:
    https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/?gclid=CLPhqN6Gn4YCFRhTPgodrD7Esw

    Jerry G.
    =====

    cyber_simon wrote:
    > Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    > drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    > plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
    > but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
    > it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
    > It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
    > and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
    > to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
    > Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
    > out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

    , Jul 20, 2006
  4. cyber_simon

    Budweiser Guest

    Not knowing that model---can you open up the enclosure and see if you have
    dislodged a lead? -- there again ToolMan tim is generally on the button.

    Budweiser, Jul 20, 2006
  5. cyber_simon

    Mike Easter Guest

    cyber_simon wrote:
    > Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    > drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    > plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
    > but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
    > it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers
    > . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music,
    > movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then
    > it fell to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material
    > on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any
    > suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
    > this.............................Peace

    I would simplify the 'equation' by taking it out of the USB case and
    connecting it directly to a hdd cable to a computer; that's just a
    hitachi ide drive with controller I think.

    Then if the computer didn't see it naked you would be having a bit of a
    problem that you can only noodle with a little bit without involving
    some expensive hdd recovery dudes.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 20, 2006
  6. "cyber_simon" <> said in news:1153354880.089518.137980
    @m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    > drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    > plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
    > but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
    > it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
    > It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
    > and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
    > to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
    > Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
    > out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

    Yes, you are completely dicked.

    HTH

    Rectum Burrrn

    Rectum Burrrn, Jul 20, 2006
  7. cyber_simon

    richard Guest

    > Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    > drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    > plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
    > but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
    > it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
    > It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
    > and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
    > to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
    > Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
    > out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

    I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day one and
    it refused to work.
    I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what I did.
    Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far, the drives work
    quite well.

    richard, Jul 21, 2006
  8. cyber_simon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "cyber_simon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    >> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    >> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file
    >> folders, but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts
    >> later to run it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one
    >> of my computers . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5
    >> gigs of music, movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a
    >> flash drive, then it fell to the floor. This has important info, and
    >> priceless material on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a
    >> tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
    >> this.............................Peace

    > I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
    > one and it refused to work.
    > I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what
    > I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far,
    > the drives work quite well.

    Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

    An EXTERNAL drive is just an INTERNAL drive in a USB (or firewire, or SCSI,
    or SATA, or IDE) external enclosure. They don't make DIFFERENT drives for
    the external units.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2006
  9. cyber_simon

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> "cyber_simon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
    >>> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
    >>> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file
    >>> folders, but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts
    >>> later to run it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one
    >>> of my computers . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5
    >>> gigs of music, movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a
    >>> flash drive, then it fell to the floor. This has important info, and
    >>> priceless material on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a
    >>> tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
    >>> this.............................Peace

    >> I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
    >> one and it refused to work.
    >> I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what
    >> I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far,
    >> the drives work quite well.

    > Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

    The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
    chord. Hmmmm.....

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  10. cyber_simon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jimchip wrote:
    > On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> "cyber_simon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
    >>> one and it refused to work.
    >>> I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do
    >>> what I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So
    >>> far, the drives work quite well.

    >> Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

    > The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
    > chord. Hmmmm.....

    scary, huh! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2006
  11. cyber_simon

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:

    >>> Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

    >> The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
    >> chord. Hmmmm.....
    >>

    > scary, huh! <g>

    Not scary. I was just hoping he was in prison. Oh well, maybe his parole
    judge can use his antics against him :)

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  12. cyber_simon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jimchip wrote:
    > On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> Jimchip wrote:

    >>> The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
    >>> chord. Hmmmm.....
    >>>

    >> scary, huh! <g>

    > Not scary. I was just hoping he was in prison. Oh well, maybe his
    > parole judge can use his antics against him :)

    LOL!!!

    They keep letting him out, huh? Maybe they should pick him up out here on
    the west coast - with his record it'd be 20 to life.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 22, 2006
  13. cyber_simon

    Top Guest

    Jimchip formulated the question :
    > On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> Jimchip wrote:

    >>> The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
    >>> chord. Hmmmm.....
    >>>

    >> scary, huh! <g>

    > Not scary. I was just hoping he was in prison. Oh well, maybe his parole
    > judge can use his antics against him :)

    He normally shows up in the trucking ng when he's in town and he hasn't
    been seen over there in the few days. He's an OTR truck driver. The
    thought he is driving an 80,000 lb vehicle on the same road I'm may be
    on is a scary thought!

    --

    Damn Col. Custer where did all those ....

    Top, Jul 22, 2006