    connected to a different socket and run the Repair option in XP setup. None
    of which have made any difference.

    Has anyone got any suggestions?

    Malc, Apr 18, 2004

  2. "Malc" <> wrote in
    news:4082977e$0$31708$:

    > I am suffering from dropped connections to my server (broadband internet
    > seems not to drop) at what appears to be completely random intervals. It
    > eventually restores by itself or I use the repair function of Local
    > Area Connection in Network Connections which forces it to reconect. All
    > the other pcs on the network are fine.
    >
    > So far I have fitted a new network card, installed the latest driver,
    > de-installed and reinstalled the card, changed the patch cable and
    > socket, connected to a different socket and run the Repair option in XP
    > setup. None of which have made any difference.
    >
    > Has anyone got any suggestions?

    Check for spyware and virus and also check your system security

    Anti Spyware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Firewalls
    http://soho.sygate.com/
    http://www.zonelabs.com/
    http://www.wyvernworks.com/firewall.asp
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
    http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

    PopupStoppers
    http://www.proxomitron.org/
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/

    AntiVirus
    http://www.free-av.com/
    http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Malc

    Malc Guest

    Have already got spy bot and adaware , run AVG 7 pro and havea hardware
    firewall , windows is up to date.

    any other ideas?

    Malc, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Malc

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:58:07 +0100, "Malc" <>
    wrote:

    >I am suffering from dropped connections to my server (broadband internet
    >seems not to drop) at what appears to be completely random intervals. It
    >eventually restores by itself or I use the repair function of Local Area
    >Connection in Network Connections which forces it to reconect. All the other
    >pcs on the network are fine.
    >
    >So far I have fitted a new network card, installed the latest driver,
    >de-installed and reinstalled the card, changed the patch cable and socket,
    >connected to a different socket and run the Repair option in XP setup. None
    >of which have made any difference.
    >
    >Has anyone got any suggestions?

    What server OS are you using and what cable topology?
    Is this node a lot farther away from your server than the other nodes?
    I amassuming that you are running longer than a 10m patch cable.

    I'm wondering if there isn't a signalling issue here.

    Millimeter, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Malc

    Malc Guest

    Am using MS server 2000

    We operate out of the ground floor of a house so distance is not an issue
    and in any case it worked ok for years till a few weeks ago. I really can't
    say what if anything changed at that time and i have already tried rolling
    back to an ealier restore point.

    Cable is standard RJ45

    patch is aprox 5mts

    Malc, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Malc

    Millimeter Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:07:24 +0100, "Malc" <>
    wrote:

    >Am using MS server 2000
    >
    >We operate out of the ground floor of a house so distance is not an issue
    >and in any case it worked ok for years till a few weeks ago. I really can't
    >say what if anything changed at that time and i have already tried rolling
    >back to an ealier restore point.
    >
    >Cable is standard RJ45
    >
    >patch is aprox 5mts

    I have seen a few weird implementations, including one where they
    chose not to drill a hole through the baseboards opting instead to run
    the patchcable out 1 window and in the next.

    I asked about cabling because your server would also be handling your
    lan routing. If the cabling is good (no access to weather etc.) and
    the Nic is new and well seated, then it may be possible that your
    server is losing track of where this node is.

    In theory, all cable lengths should be the same, so if 1 node is 10'
    away and another is 40', then all cables should be 40'. Otherwise,
    the stations would not be accurately at the same heartbeat. If you
    only have a few machines then this likely is not the issue, but I
    think you knew all this already.

    Is it possible to swap this workstation with another working node?
    This would narrow down whether it was a location or station issue.

    Millimeter, Apr 19, 2004