Drop ZoneAlarm & AVG in favor of McAfee Security Suite?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Flycaster, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Running XP with all SPs. I have XP's firewall turned off and Zone Alarm
    Free's turned on. Furthermore, I use AVG as my anti-virus app (along
    with AdAware, Spywareblaster, Windows Defender and Spybot). Everything
    has been working just fine for the last two years without incident. My
    new ISP, Comcast, is now offering a free download (along with free
    updates) of McAfee's Security Suite.
    1. I'd like some advise on whether or not I should dl MASS and give up
    AVG and ZA?

    2. Like, what do I gain, what do I lose?

    3. And if the consensus is yes, how do I go about adding in MASS and
    dropping ZA and AVG?

    Thanks.
    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Flycaster

    meerkat Guest

    "Flycaster" <> wrote in message
    > Running XP with all SPs. I have XP's firewall turned off and Zone Alarm
    > Free's turned on. Furthermore, I use AVG as my anti-virus app (along with
    > AdAware, Spywareblaster, Windows Defender and Spybot). Everything has
    > been working just fine for the last two years without incident. My new
    > ISP, Comcast, is now offering a free download (along with free updates) of
    > McAfee's Security Suite.
    > 1. I'd like some advise on whether or not I should dl MASS and give up
    > AVG and ZA?

    You`ve been running fine for 2 years !!.
    Why try to fix what isn`t broke ?.

    Just keep what you`ve got updated.

    meerkat, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Certainly reasonable advice. I guess I'm thinking, "Hey, here's a $120
    app, maybe it is better than the free ones I'm using."
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Flycaster

    Flyer Guest

    "Flycaster" <> wrote in message
    > Certainly reasonable advice. I guess I'm thinking, "Hey, here's a $120
    > app, maybe it is better than the free ones I'm using."
    > To email, erase "forgetit"

    it's good advice. A PC Mag recently did a labs survey of 20 AV programs,
    both MaCafee & Norton came in th bottom 5. Top was Kapersky, AVG figured
    high up the list too.

    Like the man said, if it works, why change it?

    P.

    Flyer, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Flycaster

    ChairMan Guest

    In news:,
    Flycaster <>spewed forth:
    > Running XP with all SPs. I have XP's firewall turned off and Zone
    > Alarm Free's turned on. Furthermore, I use AVG as my anti-virus app
    > (along with AdAware, Spywareblaster, Windows Defender and Spybot).
    > Everything has been working just fine for the last two years without
    > incident. My new ISP, Comcast, is now offering a free download
    > (along with free updates) of McAfee's Security Suite.
    > 1. I'd like some advise on whether or not I should dl MASS and give
    > up AVG and ZA?
    >
    > 2. Like, what do I gain, what do I lose?
    >
    > 3. And if the consensus is yes, how do I go about adding in MASS and
    > dropping ZA and AVG?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You'll regret the day you installed it. It will damn near take a format to
    rid your system of it not to mention that it is a huge resource hog.
    Like has already been said, if it ain't broke don't fix it
    JMO

    ChairMan, Jul 26, 2007
  6. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Got the message loud and clear. I won't be changing anything. Thanks,
    again.
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jul 26, 2007
  7. Flycaster

    Moke G Guest

    "Flycaster" <> wrote in message
    > Got the message loud and clear. I won't be changing anything. Thanks,
    > again.
    > To email, erase "forgetit"
    >
    > Flycaster wrote:
    >> Running XP with all SPs. I have XP's firewall turned off and Zone Alarm
    >> Free's turned on. Furthermore, I use AVG as my anti-virus app (along
    >> with AdAware, Spywareblaster, Windows Defender and Spybot). Everything
    >> has been working just fine for the last two years without incident. My
    >> new ISP, Comcast, is now offering a free download (along with free
    >> updates) of McAfee's Security Suite.
    >> 1. I'd like some advise on whether or not I should dl MASS and give up
    >> AVG and ZA?
    >>
    >> 2. Like, what do I gain, what do I lose?
    >>
    >> 3. And if the consensus is yes, how do I go about adding in MASS and
    >> dropping ZA and AVG?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    McAfee is one of the worst protection systems around. Keep well clear of it!
    It lets some viruses through because it takes them days before they respond
    to a new virus.

    Avast, however is free and one of the best around and updates new
    definitions at least once or twice a day.

    Moke G.

    Moke G, Jul 27, 2007
  8. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    AVG seems to update several times a day, also.
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jul 27, 2007