    I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is under
    DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
    file (wmv)?
    SS, Sep 20, 2006

  2. SS

    SJP Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    news:NDbQg.29346$...
    >I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
    >under
    > DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
    > file (wmv)?

    DRM...digital rights management
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    SJP, Sep 20, 2006

  3. SS

    Sybil Guest

    SJP wrote:
    > "SS" <> wrote in message
    >> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
    >> under
    >> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
    >> file (wmv)?
    >>

    > DRM...digital rights management
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

    any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

    -Sib
    Sybil, Sep 20, 2006
  4. SS

    PeeCee Guest

    "Sybil" <> wrote in message
    > SJP wrote:
    >> "SS" <> wrote in message
    >>> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
    >>> under
    >>> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play
    >>> the
    >>> file (wmv)?
    >>>

    >> DRM...digital rights management
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    >>

    > any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?
    >
    > -Sib

    Have a read:

    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Remove-DRM-from-WMA---Is-It-Legal-and-Worth-the-Effort?&id=60860
    PeeCee, Sep 20, 2006
  5. SS

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Sybil" <> wrote in message
    > SJP wrote:
    >> "SS" <> wrote in message
    >>> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
    >>> under
    >>> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play
    >>> the
    >>> file (wmv)?
    >>>

    >> DRM...digital rights management
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    >>

    > any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

    If you've got a protected file and no licence for it, you're not allowed to
    view it. Simple as that.

    And eliminating things from your computer wouldn't help, it's the video file
    itself that's got the protection in it.
    Rich Wilson, Sep 20, 2006
  6. SS

    Sybil Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:
    > "Sybil" <> wrote in message
    >> SJP wrote:
    >>> "SS" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> DRM...digital rights management
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    >>>

    >> any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

    > If you've got a protected file and no licence for it, you're not allowed to
    > view it. Simple as that.
    >
    > And eliminating things from your computer wouldn't help, it's the video file
    > itself that's got the protection in it.

    Actually, I should have clarified what happened to me. I have a promo CD
    distributed by WEA (Warner Elektra Atlantic). And when I popped it in,
    it gave a message, something like , Please Click OK to install
    additional files on your computer. then of course I CLICKED "NO"
    and said '**** that...' so... I wanted to rip it to my computer, not
    to burn copies for everybody, but so I don't have to run back and forth
    grabbing CD's from the vault to listen to... (not sure most of the
    public is into the band 'Laibach' anyway)

    Anyway, I'm aware of the evil rootkit from Sony but I wasn't sure what
    the "Additional files" were...

    I like to know though :()
    Sybil, Sep 20, 2006
  7. SS

    Guest

    Sybil <> wrote:

    >Actually, I should have clarified what happened to me. I have a promo CD
    >distributed by WEA (Warner Elektra Atlantic). And when I popped it in,
    >it gave a message, something like , Please Click OK to install
    >additional files on your computer. then of course I CLICKED "NO"
    > and said '**** that...' so... I wanted to rip it to my computer, not
    >to burn copies for everybody, but so I don't have to run back and forth
    >grabbing CD's from the vault to listen to... (not sure most of the
    >public is into the band 'Laibach' anyway)

    That's how DRM is installed, or any number of programs, I have
    autorun disabled just for this reason.

    You can always hold the right shift key down when inserting a CD to
    disable autorun. (for the ones that don't take no for an answer).

    >Anyway, I'm aware of the evil rootkit from Sony but I wasn't sure what
    >the "Additional files" were...
    >
    >I like to know though :()

    Read the Autorun.ini on the CD, it will show what file will be run,
    and you work from there.

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88
    , Sep 20, 2006
  8. "SS" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
    >under
    > DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
    > file (wmv)?

    It can be defeated:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=how to defeat DRM&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    As an additional note for protected iTunes downloads,
    This works with Nero, so assuming it should also work
    with any audio burning software.
    iTunes downloads have "fair play DRM" and are not
    actually an audio file but "data", as are MP3 DRM, they
    too are also "data". Burn to disk as an *Audio* CD.
    The original files were compressed, and the "quality"
    remains as the original, but they are now 16 bit CD audio
    tracks and this simple process of converting to 16bit CD audio
    removes DRM.
    You can now rip back to HD as MP3/WMA/AFF etc and all
    DRM restrictions are defeated and removed.
    Audio Grabber, Sep 21, 2006