    Can anyone help a complete computer berk??
    Thanks
    BB

    =?Utf-8?B?QkI=?=, Aug 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QkI=?=

    Guest

    On 11-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?QkI=?= <> wrote:

    > When I select Network Connections via control panel and right click Witeless
    > Network Connection and select properties sometimes there is a wireless tab to
    > select and sometimes not!

    Could be a wireless adapter problem, some laptops have an energy
    (battery) saving option so that you can turn the wireless adapter on
    and off, depending on whether you need it or not.

    Start - > Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
    Management -> Device Manager
    Should have a Network adapters Tab, this should list
    your wireless adapter. There should be no yellow
    exclamation mark. You should be able to highlight it
    and right click for properties to find out what drivers it is using.

    When wireless is available a wireless icon should be in
    the information bar. It may have a red X if it can't establish
    a connection, but that's another story and a different problem.

    First thing is to get the wireless adapter to start up reliably
    and consistently. Of course it may be that the wireless
    adapter itself is faulty, has a bad connection, or is
    voltage sensitive to low battery voltage. In the latter
    case it may be more reliable when you are working
    with the mains adapter.

    Another problem might be that MS drivers have
    installed themselves which you should find out from
    Computer Management.

    , Aug 11, 2006