    larger than 2TB?

    Thanks!!

    Mike
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Sep 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or
    > volumes
    > larger than 2TB?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Mike

    logical volumes? Not sure about the file system limitations on x64, but with
    NTFS 5.1/5.2 (XP and 2003), its 16 Exabytes (16,000 Terabytes).
    Nut Cracker, Sep 26, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I believe MBR drives have a maximum partition size of 2TB.

    In Windows XP x64 (and Windows Server 2003 SP1+), you can convert a
    non-bootable disk to a GPT disk (in Disk Management, drive must be empty),
    which allows for larger partitions (although I am not sure of the maximum
    size off the top of my head).

    I have converted a drive to GPT and it works fine, however, I do not have
    any drives or arrays larger than 2 TB so I have not tested that part out
    myself. :p

    More reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 27, 2006
  4. Hello,
    Let's try this link: The FAQ may answer this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

    6. How big can a GPT disk be?
    In theory, a GPT disk can be up to 2^64 logical blocks in length. Logical
    blocks are commonly 512 bytes in size.

    The maximum partition (and disk) size is a function of the operating system
    version. Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003 have a
    limit of 2TB per physical disk, including all partitions. For Windows
    Server 2003 SP1 Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw
    partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently
    are limited to 256 terabytes each.)

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Aaron Kelley" <>
    <Subject: Re: Drives Larger than 2TB
    <Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:15:32 -0500
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <I believe MBR drives have a maximum partition size of 2TB.
    <
    <In Windows XP x64 (and Windows Server 2003 SP1+), you can convert a
    <non-bootable disk to a GPT disk (in Disk Management, drive must be empty),
    <which allows for larger partitions (although I am not sure of the maximum
    <size off the top of my head).
    <
    <I have converted a drive to GPT and it works fine, however, I do not have
    <any drives or arrays larger than 2 TB so I have not tested that part out
    <myself. :p
    <
    <More reading:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
    <
    < - Aaron
    <
    <"Nut Cracker" <> wrote in message
    <>
    <> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>> Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or
    <>> volumes
    <>> larger than 2TB?
    <>>
    <>> Thanks!!
    <>>
    <>> Mike
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    jacob navia Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or volumes
    > larger than 2TB?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Mike

    2TB...

    Gosh!
    Each time I read this kind of news I feel so much older...
    jacob navia, Sep 27, 2006