    windows XP Pro x64?

    Thanx in advance
    J-N-Texas

    =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=, Aug 27, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=

    Rick Guest

    What make and model laser printer are you looking for? The are drivers
    included in x64 and there are some available via download.

    Rick, Aug 27, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=

    DKI Guest

    Have you checked the manufuctures site for drivers to the printer.

    If there are none it would be best to contact them about X64 support and see
    what they say.

    DKI, Aug 27, 2005
  4. HP. They are pretty good in indicating on the product website the status of
    x64 drivers and compatible printer drivers that can substitute.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 27, 2005
  5. I'm looking for drivers for a HP 2550n Laserjet printer. On the HP website
    they say that there are no drivers for this printer at this time. I was also
    wondering if there isn't a way to run the OS in a 32 bit mode so to speak so
    that I can at least use my old software.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Charlie Russel wrote:
    use the HP 2500C drivers, either PCL or Postscript. They should
    work acceptibly until the right drivers are available.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 27, 2005
  7. There is no 32-bit OS mode. There is WOW64 which runs 32-bit programs on
    x64, but that is not a way to run 32-bit device drivers on x64. You can
    only run 64-bit device drivers on x64.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 27, 2005
  8. What is WOW 64 what does it do and where is it available at?
    Thanx
    J-N-Texas

    =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=, Aug 27, 2005
  9. When I tried to install the drivers you mention it pops up and says "the file
    is valid for for a machine other than what I have".............this is really
    getting frustrating please help.

    Thanx Again

    =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=, Aug 27, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Si1uLVRleGFz?=

    Rick Guest

    WOW64 is the software layer included in Win x64 that runs 32-bit
    software, but it will not support 32-bit drivers. You must have 64 bit
    drivers for any device that does not have a 64-bit driver included in
    the shipped version of Win x64.

    Rick, Aug 27, 2005
  11. Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 27, 2005
  12. WOW64
    At startup, Wow64.dll loads the x86 version of Ntdll.dll and runs its
    initialization code, which loads all necessary 32-bit DLLs. Nearly all
    32-bit DLLs are unmodified copies of 32-bit Windows XP binaries. However,
    some of these DLLs have knowledge of WOW64, usually because they share
    memory with 64-bit processes.

    Instead of using the x86 system-service call sequence; 32-bit binaries
    making system calls are rebuilt to use a custom calling sequence. This new
    sequence is inexpensive for WOW64 to intercept because it remains entirely
    in user mode. When the new calling sequence is detected, the WOW64 CPU
    transitions back to native 64-bit mode and calls into (Wow64.dll). Thunking
    is done in user mode to reduce the impact on the 64-bit kernel, and to
    reduce the risk of a bug in the thunk causing a kernel-mode crash, data
    corruption, or a security hole. The thunks extract arguments from the 32-bit
    stack, extend them to 64 bits, and then make the native system call.

    WOW64 enables 32-bit applications to take advantage of the 64-bit kernel.
    Therefore, 32-bit applications can use a larger number of kernel handles and
    window handles. However, 32-bit applications cannot create as many threads
    under WOW64 as they can on x86, because there is less virtual address space
    available, and each thread contains a 64-bit stack (usually 512K).

    From MSDN

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 27, 2005