Drivers for a disk drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Drew, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On my D975xbx2 motherboard system, I look in device manager under disk
    drives and it lists 4 drives listed below

    Intel SSDSA2CW120G3 AS MY C: DRIVE
    Intel SSDSA2M040G2GC AS MY L: DRIVE
    Seagate ST3160811AS ATA Device
    Seagate ST3160811AS ATA Device

    All these drives are showing with the same Microsoft driver version of
    6.1.7600.16385 dated 6/21/2006.

    Stupid question but is that normal or should I be using a Intel driver here?

    Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have listed below
    ATA channel 0
    ATA channel 0
    ATA channel 1
    All with the same Microsoft driver version 6.1.7601.17514
    Should it not be a Intel driver?

    Below that is Intel(R)ICH7 Family ultra ATA storage controllers-27df

    That is a Intel driver dated 8/5/2009 with a version 9.1.1.1016 not sure
    about a update.

    Below that is a Intel(R)N10/ICH7 family serial ATA storage controller-27c0

    That is a Intel driver dated 8/5/2009 and version 9.1.1.1016 once again
    not sure about a update

    All these do not seem right as there must be a newer driver but am I
    looking for a storage controller driver or chipset driver? and as for
    the disk drive drivers should there not be a Intel driver?
    Drew, Mar 1, 2012

  2. I only use a vendor's driver with RAID systems that can't see the drives
    without a driver. Otherwise, I prefer the MS built in driver whenever
    possible.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Mar 1, 2012

  3. The Intel drivers for your board are at
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng. Search for
    Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 there. The RST drivers support AHCI and RAID.

    Newer Intel driver versions, not official for your board but probably
    slightly better, can be found at http://www.station-drivers.com/.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 1, 2012