    Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my windows
    disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
    it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

    Caroline, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Caroline

    chuckie® Guest

    I dunno, maybe the card reader's web site???

    chuckie®, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Caroline

    Dataspider Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:12:34 GMT, "Caroline"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
    >Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my windows
    >disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
    >it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

    Yeah, pay for your OS then call M$.

    Dataspider, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Caroline

    Caroline Guest

    Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand name on
    it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck. The item
    was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll just
    have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible feeling I
    let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks anyway.

    Caroline, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Caroline

    Om_Audio Guest

    I have had horrible luck installing those on Windows98- as they say all you
    need are the 98 USB Mass Storage drivers- but it just does not seem to work.
    I use Windows 2000 for many years now which works and XP is truly plug and
    play.

    Anyway- I'd look for the drivers from the OEM and go from there- hopefully
    you got a name brand with some form of support for their product.

    Good luck,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Caroline

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Try looking in this location for your Windows files: C:\windows\options\cabs

    That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they aren't
    there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a bunch
    of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
    Windows setup disk.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Caroline

    doS Guest

    Tim, the card readers use USB......

    doS, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Caroline

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes, and the OP has 98se which supports USB.

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    | Tim, the card readers use USB......
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Try looking in this location for your Windows files:
    | C:\windows\options\cabs
    | >
    | > That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they aren't
    | > there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a
    | bunch
    | > of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
    | > Windows setup disk.
    | >
    | > "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    | > | Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand
    | name
    | > on
    | > | it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck.
    The
    | > item
    | > | was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll
    | just
    | > | have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible
    | feeling
    | > | let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks
    | anyway.
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Caroline

    doS Guest

    but, 98se should have usb drivers

    doS, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Caroline

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Exactly. But the OP is missing her 98se installation CD. I was telling her
    where most OEM installations copy the setup files to so that she can get the
    USB drivers to install.

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    | but, 98se should have usb drivers
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Yes, and the OP has 98se which supports USB.
    | >
    | > "doS" <> wrote in message
    | > | Tim, the card readers use USB......
    | > |
    | > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > | C:\windows\options\cabs

    | aren't
    | > | bunch

    | > | name
    | > The
    | I'll
    | > | just
    | > | feeling
    | > | anyway.
    | > | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Caroline

    Billh Guest

    Caroline wrote:
    > I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
    > Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my windows
    > disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
    > it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

    Plug and play if you have ME 2000 or XP. 98 you are going to need a
    driver from the maker of the hardware. These are just like the usb
    flash drives or thumb drives. They do not plug and play on 98.

    Billh, Feb 15, 2005