    If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
    manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for XP x64.

    J.W.

    J.W. Anthony, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Since there isn't even a beta of Longhorn yet, it's hard to know, isn't it?
    :) However, one strongly suspects that the biggest part of the effort for any
    driver writer is to get it over to 64-bit. After that, there may be changes
    that need to be made for Longhorn (especially with video drivers, I suspect),
    but the largest part of the job is getting them over to 64 bit. And keep in
    mind that any released version of Longhorn is quite a long way out. OEMs
    really can't afford to wait if we keep pushing them.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Even if XP x64 64-bit drivers are compatible with beta 1 of Longhorn x64 you
    can definitely expect changes in support of these drivers as the beta
    progresses. So its safe to say don't depend on it and I guess thats why
    Microsoft handed out builds of Longhorn at WinHEC to get hard engineers to
    write new sets of drivers for the next version of Windows. The builds handed
    out were both 32 and 64 bit.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  4. "J.W. Anthony" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone know if the XP
    > x64 drivers will be compatible with the 64-bit version of Longhorn?
    >
    > If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
    > manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for XP x64.
    >
    > J.W.

    Besides a header change , which reflects a separate NTDDI for Longhorn :

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/D/6/5D6EAF2B-7DDF-476B-93DC-7CF0072878E6/headers.doc

    I suggest you look at pages 6 and 7 of

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/wdf/default.mspx
    which probably is intended to motivate manufacturers to use WDF, for
    downward compatibility to 5.0 (W2K) and also minimize IRQL issues etc...
    It is not too clear whether the PreFast utility can run in x64 to "sniff"
    drivers' coding directly there.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 11, 2005