    I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
    when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
    driver?
    I Bakker, Nov 10, 2004

  2. I Bakker

    I Bakker Guest

    "I Bakker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver,

    but
    > when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as

    > driver?

    My options are:

    1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01

    2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00

    3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0

    Which one do I need?
    I Bakker, Nov 10, 2004

  3. I Bakker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    > "I Bakker" <> wrote in message
    >> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver,
    >> but when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the
    >> same as a driver?
    >>

    > My options are:
    >
    > 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
    >
    > 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
    >
    > 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
    >
    > Which one do I need?

    A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

    And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do
    something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 10, 2004
  4. I Bakker

    I Bakker Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    > > "I Bakker" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the

    driver,
    > >> but when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the
    > >> same as a driver?
    > >>

    > > My options are:
    > >
    > > 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
    > >
    > > 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
    > >
    > > 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
    > >
    > > Which one do I need?

    > A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

    I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack

    > And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

    After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
    working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
    Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put a
    disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it only
    shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
    Autorun and OpenHtml.

    I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
    dissapeared then, and all was fine.

    > something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc ;)

    A friend of mine suggested that I download a new driver.

    > --
    > Paul ...
    > (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    > "A tosser is a tosser, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

    Does anyone know how this happend?
    I Bakker, Nov 10, 2004
  5. I Bakker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    >>> "I Bakker" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> My options are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
    >>>
    >>> 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
    >>>
    >>> 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
    >>>
    >>> Which one do I need?

    >> A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

    > I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack
    >>
    >> And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

    > After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
    > working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
    > Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put a
    > disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it only
    > shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
    > Autorun and OpenHtml.
    >
    > I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
    > dissapeared then, and all was fine.

    Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a system
    related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver update
    might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd suggest a
    review of your whole system ..

    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html , courtesy of °Mike°,
    might help.

    >> something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc ;)

    > A friend of mine suggested that I download a new driver.

    Can be good advice, but I doubt it is in this case ...

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 10, 2004
  6. I Bakker

    I Bakker Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    > > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > >> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...

    > >> A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

    > > I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack
    > >>
    > >> And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

    > > After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
    > > working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
    > > Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put

    > > disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it

    only
    > > shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
    > > Autorun and OpenHtml.
    > >
    > > I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
    > > dissapeared then, and all was fine.

    > Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a

    system
    > related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver update
    > might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd suggest

    > review of your whole system ..
    >
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html ,

    Went to the website but it say's I have to download a bit of software, but
    when I click on the download button, I get a 'the page cannot be displayed'.
    Any more suggestions?

    Ing
    courtesy of °Mike°,

    I Bakker, Nov 10, 2004
  7. I Bakker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
    > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message

    >> Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a
    >> system related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver
    >> update might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd
    >> suggest a review of your whole system ..
    >>
    >> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html ,

    > Went to the website but it say's I have to download a bit of software,

    No it doesn't, it's a suggestion to make things 'easier'.

    > but
    > when I click on the download button, I get a 'the page cannot be
    > displayed'. Any more suggestions?

    If you can't read basic instructions then I fear the problems you have are
    probably self-inflicted and can't be fixed remotely.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 10, 2004
  8. I Bakker

    Rob K Guest

    I Bakker wrote :
    > I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
    > when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
    > driver?

    I've read the discussion above and have been Googling around a little.
    The discussion here seems to indicate that the a firmware upgrade may
    be necessary:
    http://tinyurl.com/3wfpf

    Can ROM 'see' and identify the drive properly ?

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Nov 10, 2004
  9. I Bakker

    Stickems Guest

    Have you recently upgrades to XP SP2

    Stickems, Nov 10, 2004
  10. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    10 Nov 2004 10:20:22 +0100, "I Bakker" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
    >when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
    >driver?

    No, it's essentially the software burned into a chip on the CD ROM
    itself that tells it how to operate. It is not loaded onto Windows,
    which has it's own drivers that tell the OS how to use the CD ROM.
    When you download the firmware update, it should include a file to
    update the software on this chip plus a utility to do it., akin to
    updating the BIOS on your computer.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 10, 2004
  11. I Bakker

    Gary Danaher Guest

    I'd give thought to anything that was changed after installing the CDR
    that might have affected it. Secondly, I'd disconnect/unplug the drive
    with the computer turned off, restart the computer, and uninstall/delete
    any drivers in the device manager, and uninstall all software you added
    when you installed the drive. Shut down the computer, power down,
    reattach the power and ribbon cable, restart, and reinstall the
    software. You said you had an old computer b ut you didn't mention what
    OS was in use. Knowing that might affect how the problem is fixed. Also,
    it being an older computer, I think I would want to avoid making any
    firmware updates that might make the drive look even newer to an even
    older computer motherboard.

    Gary Danaher, Nov 14, 2004