    audio drivers? any idea where i can get them im kinda new to computers i know
    what a driver is but not sure about downloading them and installing them any
    help would be much appreciated

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009

  2. xullick

    xullick Guest

    windows xp 64bit edition **

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009

  3. xullick

    xullick Guest

    windows xp 64bit edition**

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  4. xullick

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 07/06/2009 in message
    <> xullick wrote:

    >i just had a friend recently install windows 64bit edition on my laptop and
    >so far im having some problems i cant play any games casue its not picking
    >up
    >any video drivers and i cannot listen to music casue its not detecting any
    >audio drivers? any idea where i can get them im kinda new to computers i
    >know
    >what a driver is but not sure about downloading them and installing them
    >any
    >help would be much appreciated

    Can you ask your "friend" to help?
    Not sure that he/she has been much help so far as the first thing anybody
    should do before moving to a 64 bit OS is check driver availability, since
    lack of drivers is a show stopper.
    You need to go to the websites of the manufacturers of your video and
    audio cards and see if they have 64 bit drivers available.
    You could also consider reverting to the 32 bit version of XP. The key
    reason for moving to 64 bit is often to be able to use more than 4GB RAM
    and it would be quite a rare laptop if it has that much memory.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Damerham Hampshire UK

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 7, 2009
  5. I agree with Jeff. Xp x64 is very stable, but it is absolutely no good if
    you can't have drivers. All drivers [have] to be 64bit, as well as any
    Active-X Controls.

    You are in for some detective work - the hardware manufacturers supply
    drivers for their own devices, drivers are dependent on the specific chip
    that the device is using and while some manufacturers have no 64bit support,
    other's [may] use the same chip that have 64bit support [and] that you [may]
    be able to use.

    If you fail finding anything from your list of manufacturers, you may try
    other locations, like :

    http://www.planetamd64.com/

    They have lots of drivers and a good forum too, sign on there (it's a free
    registration) but learn to read throught it and pick up the wisdom. You are
    going to need it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 7, 2009
  6. xullick

    xullick Guest

    so im on the driver site but it says nothing about if it is or is not
    compatilble with 64 should i try downloading and installing them nayways?

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  7. If it was never supplied with x64 the manufacturer will have no x64 drivers.

    What is your laptop's manufacturer and model number? If we know its
    details we may be able to say where drivers can be found.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 7, 2009
  8. xullick

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    As you discovered and can see mentioned in other replies, if installing an
    OS on a notebook computer that is not, or has not been, available with the
    OS you want to use, you face challenges getting drivers for the hardware.

    First step is to install the OS of interest. You report that was done and
    was partly successful.

    Next, visit the computer maker's web site and check for any missing driver
    for your particular model. In this case, it seems you met with no success so
    far. If your model never shipped with XP 64 bit, it is unlikely that there
    will be drivers listed of it for that system. Next step is to see if that
    maker produced a similar model that did. Try the drivers for it. [Remember
    to back up the system completely before trying drivers.]

    For any drivers still missing, check the web sites for the makers of the
    particular hardware item. Next, try the web sites of the maker of the chips
    used for the hardware.

    If you could and would let us know the make and model of the computer,
    perhaps someone here can assist.

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 7, 2009
  9. xullick

    xullick Guest

    http://support.emachines.com/em/driver/nb/d620.html
    thats the webpage my friend said if i had problems to look here it is the
    main site wit hthe drivers but ididnt see anything about 64bit on it

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  10. eMachines has no x64 XP drivers. eMachines do not appear to have offered
    x64 XP on any system.

    Your system appears to be
    http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMD620-5777 . You
    can get a Radeon x1200 driver from
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx under the
    Integrated/Motherboard section, and a ALC268 sound driver from
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ . The ALC 268 is a High Definition
    Audio Codec.

    You should be able to get drivers for other system components from their
    manufacturers' sites, but you will have to search for them.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 7, 2009
  11. xullick

    xullick Guest

    well i jsut downloaded what you have suggested the audio works but the video
    is still not working, im pretty sure my computer had a nvidia gforce in it so
    when u suggested ati radeon would that be the problem?

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  12. xullick

    xullick Guest

    as well i just checked your link on what you thought my system was no my
    system is different my system is
    http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eME620-5885 is that
    relevent?

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  13. xullick

    xullick Guest

    and as well my computer is completely stock nothing has been changed on the
    inside only the operatin system

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  14. What is the make and model of your laptop? This should be on a label on
    the base of your machine.

    I assumed the site you gave was the correct site for your laptop. If it
    isn't, your laptop maker may have the drivers you need.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 7, 2009
  15. xullick

    Katy Pluta Guest

    Katy Pluta, Jun 7, 2009
  16. xullick

    xullick Guest

    im o nthe site but i dont see anything that has anythings abou a raedon x1200?

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  17. xullick

    xullick Guest

    emachines E620

    xullick, Jun 7, 2009
  18. xullick

    Clayton Bahm Guest

    Why don't you consider moving to Vista 64 Bit? or even Windows 7 RC, a few
    of us in here have done that, have you tried the Vista drivers on your XP
    install using the inf install wizard?
    Go to www.realtek.com for your audio driver and
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp64/integrated-xp64 for
    your video driver

    Also update your BIOS if you are moving to 64 bit.

    Clayton Bahm, Jun 7, 2009
  19. Look about the middle of the page:

    Video: ATI Radeonâ„¢ X1200 Graphics
    With up to 1919MB of HyperMemoryâ„¢ supporting Shader Model 2.0,
    Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 7, 2009
  20. Also, with a 2GB memory limit and a 1.6GHz CPU you would not get any
    performance advantage with any of the 64-bit versions of Windows.

    It doesn't indicate the CPU is dual core (an x2) either.

    You would be much better off with one of the 32-bit versions of Windows.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 7, 2009