driver problemo

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Morse, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Morse

    Morse Guest

    Of all the silly things to get stuck on after a lengthy format and
    re-install of win98se is :
    In the Device Manager, under Mouse, the Standard Serial Mouse is ok, but the
    PS/2 compatible mouse port is not (has the yellow exclamation).
    I need both types of mouse to work (they're older non-scroll type mice).
    I have tried removing the entry, and re-installing it, by directing
    windows to find the driver on the windows inatallation disk\folder.
    I've also tried updating thedriver, by directing it to the correct
    drive>folder.
    I keep getting the message that the one it's already using is the best, and
    it's going to continue using it (with no option to select another).
    On boot I get an error screen (post/bios not windows) that there's a
    problerm with the pointing device.

    What do you think is up ?

    Could it be because I only installed drivers for the video/display card and
    the integrated sound chip, but not for the bios/motherboard chipset etc.?

    The machine I'm working on is an IBM PC 300PL type 6564 and this page seems
    to hold most of the specified drivers
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4D4KB9

    thanks for any ideas/directions

    Morse, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Morse

    MrToad Guest

    "Morse" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:UldLb.71135$:

    > Of all the silly things to get stuck on after a lengthy format and
    > re-install of win98se is :
    > In the Device Manager, under Mouse, the Standard Serial Mouse is ok,
    > but the PS/2 compatible mouse port is not (has the yellow
    > exclamation). I need both types of mouse to work (they're older
    > non-scroll type mice).
    > I have tried removing the entry, and re-installing it, by directing
    > windows to find the driver on the windows inatallation disk\folder.
    > I've also tried updating thedriver, by directing it to the correct
    > drive>folder.
    > I keep getting the message that the one it's already using is the
    > best, and it's going to continue using it (with no option to select
    > another). On boot I get an error screen (post/bios not windows) that
    > there's a problerm with the pointing device.
    >
    > What do you think is up ?
    >
    > Could it be because I only installed drivers for the video/display
    > card and the integrated sound chip, but not for the bios/motherboard
    > chipset etc.?
    >
    > The machine I'm working on is an IBM PC 300PL type 6564 and this page
    > seems to hold most of the specified drivers
    > http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4D4KB
    > 9
    >
    > thanks for any ideas/directions

    If you're getting an error at POST, check the BIOS and see if it has an
    entry for the PS/2 port and make sure it's enabled. Otherwise, your PS/2
    port maybe borked, [physically, not driver-wise]. I have two BioStar
    motherboards with bad PS/2 mouse ports sitting in boxes in the closet, so
    it's not uncommon for them to go bad.

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Morse

    Morse Guest

    > > Of all the silly things to get stuck on after a lengthy format and
    > > re-install of win98se is :
    > > In the Device Manager, under Mouse, the Standard Serial Mouse is ok,
    > > but the PS/2 compatible mouse port is not (has the yellow
    > > exclamation). I need both types of mouse to work (they're older
    > > non-scroll type mice).
    > > I have tried removing the entry, and re-installing it, by directing
    > > windows to find the driver on the windows inatallation disk\folder.
    > > I've also tried updating thedriver, by directing it to the correct
    > > drive>folder.
    > > I keep getting the message that the one it's already using is the
    > > best, and it's going to continue using it (with no option to select
    > > another). On boot I get an error screen (post/bios not windows) that
    > > there's a problerm with the pointing device.
    > >
    > > What do you think is up ?
    > >
    > > Could it be because I only installed drivers for the video/display
    > > card and the integrated sound chip, but not for the bios/motherboard
    > > chipset etc.?
    > >
    > > The machine I'm working on is an IBM PC 300PL type 6564 and this page
    > > seems to hold most of the specified drivers
    > > http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4D4KB
    > > 9

    > If you're getting an error at POST, check the BIOS and see if it has an
    > entry for the PS/2 port and make sure it's enabled. Otherwise, your PS/2
    > port maybe borked, [physically, not driver-wise]. I have two BioStar
    > motherboards with bad PS/2 mouse ports sitting in boxes in the closet, so
    > it's not uncommon for them to go bad.
    >
    > --
    > MrToad

    I checked the bios and confirmed that the mouse support is enabled. It
    doesnt specify separate options for the ps/2 and serial. I can get the
    serial port mouse to work, but not the ps/2. I have a keyboard in the other
    (of 2) ps/2 ports and it's working ok. So it seems unlikey the ps/2 ports
    are damaged?

    Morse, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Morse

    Trax Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:58:34 -0500, "Morse" <>
    wrote:

    |>In the Device Manager, under Mouse, the Standard Serial Mouse is ok, but the
    |>PS/2 compatible mouse port is not (has the yellow exclamation).
    |>I need both types of mouse to work (they're older non-scroll type mice).
    |> I have tried removing the entry, and re-installing it, by directing
    |>windows to find the driver on the windows inatallation disk\folder.
    |>I've also tried updating thedriver, by directing it to the correct
    |>drive>folder.
    |>I keep getting the message that the one it's already using is the best, and
    |>it's going to continue using it (with no option to select another).
    |>On boot I get an error screen (post/bios not windows) that there's a
    |>problerm with the pointing device.

    A PS2 mouse has a dedicated IRQ (9) if your getting a boot error, mouse or port
    could be bad,
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w A Meltdown? One of those annoying buzzwords.

    Trax, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Morse

    MrToad Guest

    "Morse" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:9HfLb.72407$:

    >> > Of all the silly things to get stuck on after a lengthy format and
    >> > re-install of win98se is :
    >> > In the Device Manager, under Mouse, the Standard Serial Mouse is
    >> > ok, but the PS/2 compatible mouse port is not (has the yellow
    >> > exclamation). I need both types of mouse to work (they're older
    >> > non-scroll type mice).
    >> > I have tried removing the entry, and re-installing it, by
    >> > directing
    >> > windows to find the driver on the windows inatallation disk\folder.
    >> > I've also tried updating thedriver, by directing it to the correct
    >> > drive>folder.
    >> > I keep getting the message that the one it's already using is the
    >> > best, and it's going to continue using it (with no option to select
    >> > another). On boot I get an error screen (post/bios not windows)
    >> > that there's a problerm with the pointing device.
    >> >
    >> > What do you think is up ?
    >> >
    >> > Could it be because I only installed drivers for the video/display
    >> > card and the integrated sound chip, but not for the
    >> > bios/motherboard chipset etc.?
    >> >
    >> > The machine I'm working on is an IBM PC 300PL type 6564 and this
    >> > page seems to hold most of the specified drivers
    >> > http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4D
    >> > 4KB 9

    >> If you're getting an error at POST, check the BIOS and see if it has
    >> an entry for the PS/2 port and make sure it's enabled. Otherwise,
    >> your PS/2 port maybe borked, [physically, not driver-wise]. I have
    >> two BioStar motherboards with bad PS/2 mouse ports sitting in boxes
    >> in the closet, so it's not uncommon for them to go bad.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MrToad
    >>

    > I checked the bios and confirmed that the mouse support is enabled. It
    > doesnt specify separate options for the ps/2 and serial. I can get the
    > serial port mouse to work, but not the ps/2. I have a keyboard in the
    > other (of 2) ps/2 ports and it's working ok. So it seems unlikey the
    > ps/2 ports are damaged?

    That's my point the mouse port it's self is bad, [the keyboard port is a
    separate physical port].
    See Trax's post for another possible cause.

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Jan 9, 2004