Driver mismanaging system pte

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by spock, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. spock

    spock Guest

    Hello Everyone
    Last night I installed X64 XP PRO service pack 2 after I rebooted
    the machine I got the BSOD with the above warning and happened
    again when it rebooted. The only thing I have changed is my video
    card it was a ATI powercolor X1600Pro but now is a Gigabyte 8600GT
    silent pipe (no fan) with the latest drivers from nvidia

    I went into safe mode and deleted the drivers etc for the video card at
    least it
    did not crash I then installed a previous version of the drivers which is ok
    but
    what does the above error mean?
    I searched microsofts knowledge base and got zip, did service pack 2 mess up
    my video drivers? any ideas folks?????
    BTW anyone know the normal operating temperatures of this card?
    Under XP Pro 32bit it runs very hot when playing a game, you can hardly
    touch it.

    Thanks

    spock, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Spock:
    Did you try the latest 162.18's?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_162.18.html
    Here you have two forum reports about your card's temperature:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40870
    http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/199758.aspx
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 7, 2007

  3. spock

    spock Guest

    Thats what I installed to begin with. but then went to 158.19 which works

    spock, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Spock:
    Here's the answer to your original question.
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=25746
    I quote:
    "A PTE, or Page Table Entry, is an entry in the paging file table that maps
    virtual memory to physical memory. On the surface, this error messages
    suggests that no more PTEs are available on the system. That can happen if
    your system is performing a large number of input/output operations (more
    likely on a server than a desktop). Alternative causes, however, can be a
    faulty device driver that’s mismanaging memory or an application that’s
    inappropriately allocating large amounts of kernel memory.
    Solution:
    If the error message provides a file name, you should uninstall or disable
    the program associated with that file. If the file is a device drivers, check
    for an upgrade or try using an older version of the driver. A registry tweak
    is available for Windows XP Professional, but if you’re using a desktop
    system, there’s a good chance the error is being caused by faulty software
    and not an actual lack of PTEs."

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 7, 2007