    might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
    security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
    Bob

    Bob B, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Bob B

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:28:24 GMT, "Bob B" <> wrote:

    >My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
    >installing the software for her Canon scanner.
    >
    >She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
    >Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
    >folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers to
    >be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
    >can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer that
    >might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
    >security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please

    Disable Norton Security. Disable any other A/V. Disable any firewall.

    What is the EXACT wording of the error?

    Evan Platt, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Bob B wrote:

    > My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
    > installing the software for her Canon scanner.
    >
    > She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
    > Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
    > folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers
    > to be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both

    First rename your copied-over canon folder (to get it out of the way for a
    new install). Then, disable the virus scanner - not the firewall, unless
    you pull the internet plug as well - and come back with the error message
    you get, or/and what you see in event viewer (management - event viewer).
    Btw., which type of scanner (usb, parallel)?

    Walter Mautner, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Bob B

    Ben Myers Guest

    Send her this link and tell her if she needs more help to send you the
    model number of the scanner.

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportIndexAct

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    Thank you for the replies..although I had previously used a UK link the
    driver had the same version number

    After the software is downloaded and unzipped the files gointo a Canon
    folder.. now when you plug the scanner into the computer is recognises the
    hardware immediately and then looks for the software. This I think is the
    main problem..it reports it cannot locate the software.. I then manually
    lead it to the Canon folder using the browse button and the wizard. It
    quickly offers up the Canon folder which was on the desktop...all I should
    have to do is click on "OK" but it is greyed out, in fact it is greyed out
    whatever folder I mover the curser over. Somewhere there must be a box
    ticked that stops this wizard from being active. Any ideas.

    I did remove the connection to the Internet and even tho' the virus and
    firewall was switched of it still wont find the driver software

    Bob

    Bob B, Jan 18, 2007
  6. Bob B

    Ben Myers Guest

    Open the Canon folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer and see if
    there is a "setup" or "install" file. If so, double-click it. If not, please repost
    with more information, including the model number of the scanner.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 19, 2007
  7. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    I had already done that... when you download and unzip the software from the
    UK web site you get 4 disks numbered 1 - 4 number 1 is the toolbox and WILL
    open and I can find the setup file to instal. Number 2 is the uninstal for
    the toolbox and will NOT open. No 3 is the driver to get the computer to
    communicate to the scanner and No. 4 the uninstal. 2 - 4 will not open and
    say that there is a corruption or cannot find the programme to open them. I
    have advised a my friend to get a new set of driver downloads from the USA
    site..I will report back

    Bob

    Bob B, Jan 20, 2007
  8. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    All is now working ...must have been corrupted files from the UK Canon
    site..Thank you for your help

    Bob

    Bob B, Jan 20, 2007
  9. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    I have already replied but note because the site was down for a few days it
    has not got through so here it is again

    Bob

    Bob B, Jan 24, 2007