    So what is the correct driver and where is it?

    Thanks
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Mar 18, 2010

  2. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Bob,
    No drivers are necessary for optical drivers.
    The ones embedded in the OSs are enough.
    My optical SATA drive also shows as SCSI in Device Manager description.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 18, 2010

  3. Further, to avoid any confusion for onlookers -- in general, a Vista or Win7
    driver is not usable by XP x64. You can, however, generally use a Server
    2003 x64 driver, since XP x64 is the same code base as Server 2003.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 18, 2010
  4. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    On Mar 18, 6:57�am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Further, to avoid any confusion for onlookers -- in general, a Vista or Win7
    > driver is not usable by XP x64. You can, however, generally use a Server
    > 2003 x64 driver, since XP x64 is the same code base as Server 2003.

    Charlie and Carlos

    I will go back to square one. I am unable to get either drive to write
    a DVD. Always reports no media when in fact there are new DVDs in
    place.

    Thanks
    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Mar 18, 2010
  5. Bob  AZ

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Bob AZ:
    There may be a conflict if 2 DVD-RW drives are installed, unplug one
    drive then see if the other drive will record. If the other drive records
    the cause is a conflict having 2 recordable drives installed. If the other
    drive doesn't record follow KB-316529 (also applies to XP x64) to verify
    that the registry is setup properly for the drives
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529 The Value Data on my XP x64 system
    is the player is 3 and the recorder is 2. Have a great day.
    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    database 4956 (20100318) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4956 (20100318) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Mar 18, 2010
  6. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Bob,
    Now we are talking business.
    I can recall that somewhere in the properties of the optical drive (Device
    Manager?) there was a specific check mark for activating the recording
    capabilities of the drive.
    Will it be unchecked by chance.
    I don't find that option in Windows 7 but I am pretty sure having seen it a
    few OSs back.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 18, 2010
  7. Bob  AZ

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carlos:
    I couldn't find anything is Win-7 either. I remembered having this
    problem during XP x64 beta. I got lucky and found a copy of KB-316529 that I
    printed out when I had the problem. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Mar 18, 2010
  8. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Dennis,
    Here is the check mark location:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    Found it after googling a while.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 18, 2010
  9. Have you updated to the latest firmware? The drives may not be able to
    recognise some media.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 19, 2010
  10. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Like here
    http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 19, 2010
  11. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    > >http://www.eset.com- Hide quoted text -

    Carlos

    Found this on the microsoft link your recommended

    Do you want to record onto blank DVD disks using a recordable DVD
    drive? Windows XP can read and play back DVDs, but it can't record
    them.

    Now onward again. Certainly does not make sense for Windows XP 64 bit
    to not record DVDs.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Mar 19, 2010
  12. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    On Mar 18, 6:11�pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Like here?http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer...
    > Carlos
    >

    > "Dominic Payer" wrote:
    > > Have you updated to the latest firmware? The drives may not be able to
    > > recognise some media.

    > > On 18/03/2010 21:10, Bob AZ wrote:

    > > > Charlie and Carlos

    > > > I will go back to square one. I am unable to get either drive to write
    > > > a DVD. Always reports no media when in fact there are new DVDs in
    > > > place.

    > > > Thanks
    > > > Bob �AZ

    Carlos et al

    I have downloaded the frimware update you provided. Maybe tomorrow I
    will be brave enough to update the frimware.

    I did as another suggested and used Device Manager to check the
    recording status od each drive. Since I have two drives checking the
    recording status unchecks the recording status of the other. It would
    seem to me that recording on either drive would be childs play by now
    for XP. Perhaps the updated firmware for the drives from Sony will be
    the key.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Mar 19, 2010
  13. Bob  AZ

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Bob AZ:
    Follow KB-316529 instructions to set the Value Data to type 3 for one
    drive and type 3 for the other drive. The drive that's set to type 2 should
    record and the other drive should only play. That will prove that having 2
    drives that are capable of recording create a conflict that prohibits either
    drive from recording unless one is set to read only.

    Dennis Pack, Mar 19, 2010