    hardware incorrectly." When the screen resolution changes to the lowest
    color and when I try to reboot the computer freezes. I have to turn it
    off and then restart. Any ideas?
    garyw, Apr 13, 2005

  2. garyw

    MrGrumpy Guest

    A problem with you nvidea driver, perhaps you should uninstall the graphics
    device, reboot into vga mode, taking care to cancel any found new graphics
    device. Then uninstall/delete all nvidea drivers, then download and install
    the drivers direct from nvidea site. Do not use winupdate for drivers.

    MrGrumpy, Apr 13, 2005

  3. garyw

    Dave Lear Guest

    "garyw" wrote in message

    > I'm running windows xp home and started having trouble with
    > media player 10. It works with audio files but when I try to play
    > a video, it locks up and I get an error message saying the driver
    > for nv4_disp is not working. The event log states the "driver for
    > nv4_disp for display device\device\video0 got stuck in an infinite
    > loop. Ususally means problems with the device itself or the device
    > driver programing the hardware incorrectly." When the screen
    > resolution changes to the lowest color and when I try to reboot the
    > computer freezes. I have to turn it off and then restart. Any ideas?

    Depends on the card in question. I've seen this sort of thing happen on
    high-end nVidia cards like the GeForce 6800 Ultra if the PSU on the PC isn't
    capable of supplying enough power, i.e. you start doing something graphics
    intensive and the card attempts to draw more power, which the PSU can't
    supply and it whinges. What graphics card do you have fitted and what is
    your PSU rated at? (I seem to recall that it's recommended to have a 400W
    PSU for top-end nVidias).

    Alternatively, and more simply, it could just be your graphics drivers are
    corrupted. Fetch the latest version of the ForceWare drivers from nVidia's
    site. Latest version is 71.84 from 11/03/2005...
    Dave Lear, Apr 13, 2005
  4. garyw wrote:

    > I'm running windows xp home and started having trouble with media player
    > 10. It works with audio files but when I try to play a video, it locks
    > up and I get an error message saying the driver for nv4_disp is not
    > working. The event log states the "driver for nv4_disp for display
    > device\device\video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. Ususally means
    > problems with the device itself or the device driver programing the
    > hardware incorrectly." When the screen resolution changes to the lowest
    > color and when I try to reboot the computer freezes. I have to turn it
    > off and then restart. Any ideas?

    It seems a few people are also experiencing this problem.
    Here's a link;
    http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage.asp?forumID=26&MessageID=10450

    --

    http://www.safercomputing.com <-- your source for Internet Security with
    information on how to keep your system safe and spyware free.
    Tom - safercomputing.com, Apr 13, 2005