    computing tasks for it. I'm interested in finding out some of you more
    experieced X64'ers have worked around these issues - is there something that
    I'm missing or am i just SOL.
    =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Charlie Russel wrote:
    List of HP Scanjet scanners that "will be supported later this year":

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00367175

    If want skip the hp scanner, Mark wrote:
    Epson *Perfection 3170 Photo* scanner. Epson seems to have released 64bit
    drivers for a number of their later models.

    You can check http://www.planetamd64.com for drivers for the HP 8450
    Photo-Smart.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 8, 2005

  3. I've found workarounds for my Xante printers and Minolta Bizhub color
    copier/printer. For the Xantes, I'm using the only available driver offered
    by XP 64 bit. It works (except for broadsheet) but is clunky whenever a
    setting needs adjustment. For the Minolta, I went through every
    Minolta/Konica driver with color capabilities until I hit on a PCL one that
    gives me output (no tabloid, however).

    You could probably do a similar kludge with the HP. But the bigger question
    is, what's taking so bloody long? I contacted Xante, which is a big business
    printer manufacturer, and asked them about their driver development. This
    was in the beginning of October. They replied that since XP 64 bit had
    "only" been out since April, drivers were still in development. Last week
    they sent me what the claimed were 64 bit drivers. Nope. Still 32 bit (dated
    7/04). It's as though they don't even have a 64 bit system to test them on.
    Sheesh...

    Minolta sent me a form response to my driver query. This was after the
    "tech" rep suggested I use the driver on the installation CD (haha). I still
    don't get why there is such a lag in driver development... especially in the
    high end and recently released hardware. Seems like a natural consideration
    to me...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I have a 8450 printer connected via ethernet to my network and am
    using the pre-beta drivers on planetamd64.com on XP x64.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Nov 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When there is a decent size installed base the drivers will come. For now
    it is a courtesy and practice for Vista.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    Josef Gonko Guest

    You're not alone, Sinclair. A lot of users are yelling for 64-bit drivers
    and the responses from companies are a great litmus test for those companies
    who are going to provide proper device support and those who are using this
    OS transition as an opportunity to force users to buy their latest products.
    Of course, those in the latter group are quickly learning that users, out of
    sheer spite, will give their money to a new, different brand!

    Josef Gonko, Nov 9, 2005
  7. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I needed a scanner to replace my Umax
    firewire, which I really liked. Found the Epson 3170, which is a better
    scanner and well worth the upgrade. But back to drivers... back in my Atari
    days, there was always some hacker who would try his hand at making a
    printer driver for Atari ST/TT computers, since many manufactuers had little
    interest in supporting that small market share. A bunch of people would kick
    in a few bucks each and you'd have a workable driver in a few weeks. Wish
    some of those guys were still around...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 9, 2005
  8. A lot of those companies must be saying, thank God for Vista!

    Andre Da Costa, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Barb, I think your column about your Turion laptop was extremely
    well-written. Congrats on a good job.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 9, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Nov 9, 2005
  11. Yeah, bye bye Canon.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 10, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree. I got rid of mine when I used up the ink cartridges on my x86
    system. Got a Brother and am happy. Bye Canon, also.

    John Barnes, Nov 10, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    Bill Guest

    I donated my six Canon MP130's and replaced them with Epson's. No more
    Canon and no more Sony anything.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 10, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Uk9TaW5jbGFpcg==?=

    Randy Guest

    My Brother all-in-one (print, scan, copy) color inkjets have 64bit support
    (MFC5440CN, DPC110C).

    Best plan IMO is to dual boot and maintain x32 Windows for whatvever won't
    transfer up to x64.

    Randy, Nov 10, 2005
  15. I had the same issue with my printer (A HP deskjet 5150). After visiting the
    HP website I fond out that they suggested using drivers for the HP 930. It
    works now :)

    Also , be glad you do NOT have a TV tuner card. There aren't any companies
    who are making X64 drivers at all. There is a workaround for some analogue
    cards tho.
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ00=?=, Nov 18, 2005
  16. The Lack of most drivers is upsetting, modem, scanner, etc.. I agree Win 64
    Bit can only be on dual boot as a toy as very little is out there for
    productivity. Hopfuly next year will bring with it a lot more support..

    =?Utf-8?B?R09MREZJU0g=?=, Nov 21, 2005