DriveImage problem restoring

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. strand wrote:

    > I installed DriveImage2002 for Win9x, and the opening screen provides an
    > option for 1st time use , to backup image file to CD's called 'Initial
    > Backup Wizard' . The second option 'Setup Wizard' is to back up file to a
    > partition on the HD that DI will create. Thinking it was a good idea to have
    > the first image file on removeable media - CD's I selected that option and
    > it all seemed to go well as it prompted me for successive cd 's throughout
    > the process. The process completed and I have several numbered cd's - I
    > assume a 'split' image file of my HD contents
    > Then I did various things on the computer that I regretted and thought I was
    > safe by being able to Restore the image file. Alas, I cant get it to work.
    > Launching DI and selecting Restore, it prompts me to browse for the image
    > file, but none exists on the cd's. Windows explorer shows that disk one
    > contains 2 files that look like boot files. And it cant read the rest of the
    > cd disks.Then I tried viewing the disks with DI ImageExplorer and that too
    > doesn't show anything ?
    > I tried using the rescue floppies from a reboot & the dos prompt but they
    > give a couple of error messages (something about a disk manager?) and dont
    > go anywhere either.
    > Can anyone with experience give me some indications ?

    I have used DI many times with a backup set created to CD - the main
    difference is that I did it manually and didn't use the wizard.

    You should have a file with an extension of "pqi" on one of the CDs, can
    you find that? That is the first file of the backup set. What were the
    filenames on the CD that looked like boot files? Come to that, what are
    the filenames on all the CDs?

    strand, Apr 11, 2004

  3. strand wrote:

    >>>I installed DriveImage2002 for Win9x, and the opening screen provides an
    >>>option for 1st time use , to backup image file to CD's called 'Initial
    >>>Backup Wizard' . The second option 'Setup Wizard' is to back up file to

    >>>partition on the HD that DI will create. Thinking it was a good idea to

    > have
    >
    >>>the first image file on removeable media - CD's I selected that option

    > and
    >
    >>>it all seemed to go well as it prompted me for successive cd 's

    > throughout
    >
    >>>the process. The process completed and I have several numbered cd's - I
    >>>assume a 'split' image file of my HD contents
    >>>Then I did various things on the computer that I regretted and thought I

    > was
    >
    >>>safe by being able to Restore the image file. Alas, I cant get it to

    > work.
    >
    >>>Launching DI and selecting Restore, it prompts me to browse for the

    > image
    >
    >>>file, but none exists on the cd's. Windows explorer shows that disk one
    >>>contains 2 files that look like boot files. And it cant read the rest of

    > the
    >
    >>>cd disks.Then I tried viewing the disks with DI ImageExplorer and that

    > too
    >
    >>>doesn't show anything ?
    >>>I tried using the rescue floppies from a reboot & the dos prompt but

    > they
    >
    >>>give a couple of error messages (something about a disk manager?) and

    > dont
    >
    >>>go anywhere either.
    >>>Can anyone with experience give me some indications ?
    >>>

    >>I have used DI many times with a backup set created to CD - the main
    >>difference is that I did it manually and didn't use the wizard.
    >>
    >>You should have a file with an extension of "pqi" on one of the CDs, can
    >>you find that? That is the first file of the backup set. What were the
    >>filenames on the CD that looked like boot files? Come to that, what are
    >>the filenames on all the CDs?
    >>

    > The onscreen instructions are pretty self explanatory - not too much to
    > mistake.I dont know where the error could have occurred - that is my
    > question.
    > I dont have any readable .pqi files on any of the CDs

    Firstly, I am not yet sure that there has been an error - which is why I
    asked for the filenames on the CDs. There should not be that many of
    them and their names and sizes should give a pretty good indication of
    whether a backup set was created or not. I am assuming that, at this
    point, you still have some hope of recovering the information.
    As you say, the onscreen instructions are pretty idiotproof. If it
    looked like it was creating a backup set, let's assume that it did. Are
    you using the writer to try to read the disks on? Have you tried
    something like ISOBuster to examine the CDs for content?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  4. strand wrote:

    <<snip driveimage problems>>
    Your other problem is that either your computer clock or your timezome
    setting needs attention. You are posting from the future.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  5. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  6. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > > have

    > > and

    > > throughout

    > > was

    > > work.

    > > image

    of

    > > the

    > > too

    > > they

    > > dont

    > >>I have used DI many times with a backup set created to CD - the main
    > >>difference is that I did it manually and didn't use the wizard.
    > >>
    > >>You should have a file with an extension of "pqi" on one of the CDs, can
    > >>you find that? That is the first file of the backup set. What were the
    > >>filenames on the CD that looked like boot files? Come to that, what are
    > >>the filenames on all the CDs?
    > >>

    > > The onscreen instructions are pretty self explanatory - not too much to
    > > mistake.I dont know where the error could have occurred - that is my
    > > question.
    > > I dont have any readable .pqi files on any of the CDs
    > >

    > Firstly, I am not yet sure that there has been an error - which is why I
    > asked for the filenames on the CDs. There should not be that many of
    > them and their names and sizes should give a pretty good indication of
    > whether a backup set was created or not. I am assuming that, at this
    > point, you still have some hope of recovering the information.
    > As you say, the onscreen instructions are pretty idiotproof. If it
    > looked like it was creating a backup set, let's assume that it did. Are
    > you using the writer to try to read the disks on? Have you tried
    > something like ISOBuster to examine the CDs for content?

    =========================
    the 2 files on cd1 are
    bootcat.bin
    bootimg.bin

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  7. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > Your other problem is that either your computer clock or your timezome
    > setting needs attention. You are posting from the future.

    sorry 'bout that - no idea why the clock was off (it did correct for
    daylight savings)

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  8. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mistoffolees Guest

    strand wrote:
    > I installed DriveImage2002 for Win9x, and the opening screen provides an
    > option for 1st time use , to backup image file to CD's called 'Initial
    > Backup Wizard' . The second option 'Setup Wizard' is to back up file to a
    > partition on the HD that DI will create. Thinking it was a good idea to have
    > the first image file on removeable media - CD's I selected that option and
    > it all seemed to go well as it prompted me for successive cd 's throughout
    > the process. The process completed and I have several numbered cd's - I
    > assume a 'split' image file of my HD contents
    > Then I did various things on the computer that I regretted and thought I was
    > safe by being able to Restore the image file. Alas, I cant get it to work.
    > Launching DI and selecting Restore, it prompts me to browse for the image
    > file, but none exists on the cd's. Windows explorer shows that disk one
    > contains 2 files that look like boot files. And it cant read the rest of the
    > cd disks.Then I tried viewing the disks with DI ImageExplorer and that too
    > doesn't show anything ?
    > I tried using the rescue floppies from a reboot & the dos prompt but they
    > give a couple of error messages (something about a disk manager?) and dont
    > go anywhere either.
    > Can anyone with experience give me some indications ?

    Don't use DI anymore but Acronis TrueImage. IIRC, the way to
    restore the HD partition is to boot from the CD that has either
    the image file or the DI executable, or from the DI boot floppy
    diskette. It should lead to a menu running in Caldera DOS 7.X
    and selecting the appropriate *.PQI file for the partition that
    is to be restored.

    Mistoffolees, Apr 11, 2004
  9. strand wrote:

    > an

    >>>have

    >>>and

    >>>throughout

    >>>was

    >>>work.

    >>>image

    > of
    >
    >>>the

    >>>too

    >>>they

    >>>dont

    >>>The onscreen instructions are pretty self explanatory - not too much to
    >>>mistake.I dont know where the error could have occurred - that is my
    >>>question.
    >>>I dont have any readable .pqi files on any of the CDs
    >>>

    >>Firstly, I am not yet sure that there has been an error - which is why I
    >>asked for the filenames on the CDs. There should not be that many of
    >>them and their names and sizes should give a pretty good indication of
    >>whether a backup set was created or not. I am assuming that, at this
    >>point, you still have some hope of recovering the information.
    >>As you say, the onscreen instructions are pretty idiotproof. If it
    >>looked like it was creating a backup set, let's assume that it did. Are
    >>you using the writer to try to read the disks on? Have you tried
    >>something like ISOBuster to examine the CDs for content?

    > =========================
    > the 2 files on cd1 are
    > bootcat.bin
    > bootimg.bin

    You are correct and those are the files needed to make the CD bootable.
    Have you tried booting off the CD?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  10. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > >>Firstly, I am not yet sure that there has been an error - which is why I
    > >>asked for the filenames on the CDs. There should not be that many of
    > >>them and their names and sizes should give a pretty good indication of
    > >>whether a backup set was created or not. I am assuming that, at this
    > >>point, you still have some hope of recovering the information.
    > >>As you say, the onscreen instructions are pretty idiotproof. If it
    > >>looked like it was creating a backup set, let's assume that it did. Are
    > >>you using the writer to try to read the disks on? Have you tried
    > >>something like ISOBuster to examine the CDs for content?

    > > =========================
    > > the 2 files on cd1 are
    > > bootcat.bin
    > > bootimg.bin
    > >

    > You are correct and those are the files needed to make the CD bootable.
    > Have you tried booting off the CD?

    ============================
    Yes, & off the floppies. Unsuccessful in both instances.
    It boots to the dos DI screen and then there are 2 error messages, the first
    says something like 'there is an instance of Disk Manager on the drive but
    not running' and I click OK, then the 2nd error has a number.And then it get
    itself into a non-fuctioning knot and I have to switch off the machine -
    it's the only escape.
    If it would help diagnose the issue I'll reboot with the cd and copy the
    exact error info.
    I dont know what Disk Manager is and a google search showed it as a
    component of Ontrack (which I once had installed) - so I did a search for
    ontrack in my machine and it found a file called "ontracks.386" in the
    windows(98SE) .system folder. I guess I could try and remove it and see if
    that helps - hope it doesn't belong to something else. of course Disk
    Manager is a fairly generic term and could belong to something else other
    than Ontrack too?

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  11. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > > I installed DriveImage2002 for Win9x, and the opening screen provides an
    > > option for 1st time use , to backup image file to CD's called 'Initial
    > > Backup Wizard' . The second option 'Setup Wizard' is to back up file to

    > > partition on the HD that DI will create. Thinking it was a good idea to

    have
    > > the first image file on removeable media - CD's I selected that option

    and
    > > it all seemed to go well as it prompted me for successive cd 's

    throughout
    > > the process. The process completed and I have several numbered cd's - I
    > > assume a 'split' image file of my HD contents
    > > Then I did various things on the computer that I regretted and thought I

    was
    > > safe by being able to Restore the image file. Alas, I cant get it to

    work.
    > > Launching DI and selecting Restore, it prompts me to browse for the

    image
    > > file, but none exists on the cd's. Windows explorer shows that disk one
    > > contains 2 files that look like boot files. And it cant read the rest of

    the
    > > cd disks.Then I tried viewing the disks with DI ImageExplorer and that

    too
    > > doesn't show anything ?
    > > I tried using the rescue floppies from a reboot & the dos prompt but

    they
    > > give a couple of error messages (something about a disk manager?) and

    dont
    > > go anywhere either.
    > > Can anyone with experience give me some indications ?
    > >

    > Don't use DI anymore but Acronis TrueImage. IIRC, the way to
    > restore the HD partition is to boot from the CD that has either
    > the image file or the DI executable, or from the DI boot floppy
    > diskette. It should lead to a menu running in Caldera DOS 7.X
    > and selecting the appropriate *.PQI file for the partition that
    > is to be restored.

    Thanks. Yes, but it doesnt get that far or find any pqi files to restore.
    See above post re error message/s relating to something called 'disk
    manager'

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  12. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    DriveImage problem restoring +error message/s

    error #91
    Disk Manager has been detected on drive 1 , but DM is not running. If you
    are booting from a floppy remove the floppy and reboot. Press & hold the
    <space bar> key as the computer restarts. When prompted insert your boot
    floppy & continue booting.
    OK

    Error #87
    Unable to initialize the engine
    OK

    then the A: prompt appears
    Looking at the dir in "A", there are 10 files with 1 executable PQDI.exe
    which loads the DI dos screen logo...says it's loading....then displays
    another error "critical error:abort,retry,ignore, fail"

    Retry brings back error#91

    Removing the cd and rebooting and holding the space bar brings up a 'kybd
    error' and then scandisk jumps in
    *(*^^%%$%

    * I tried removing the ontracks.386 from the system folder but then windows
    objected on reboot and says it needs it

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  13. strand wrote:

    >>>=========================
    >>> the 2 files on cd1 are
    >>>bootcat.bin
    >>>bootimg.bin
    >>>

    >>You are correct and those are the files needed to make the CD bootable.
    >>Have you tried booting off the CD?

    > ============================
    > Yes, & off the floppies. Unsuccessful in both instances.
    > It boots to the dos DI screen and then there are 2 error messages, the first
    > says something like 'there is an instance of Disk Manager on the drive but
    > not running' and I click OK, then the 2nd error has a number.And then it get
    > itself into a non-fuctioning knot and I have to switch off the machine -
    > it's the only escape.
    > If it would help diagnose the issue I'll reboot with the cd and copy the
    > exact error info.
    > I dont know what Disk Manager is and a google search showed it as a
    > component of Ontrack (which I once had installed) - so I did a search for
    > ontrack in my machine and it found a file called "ontracks.386" in the
    > windows(98SE) .system folder. I guess I could try and remove it and see if
    > that helps - hope it doesn't belong to something else. of course Disk
    > Manager is a fairly generic term and could belong to something else other
    > than Ontrack too?

    I think that I may be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. The
    DiskManager has probably been installed on the hard drive in order to
    support larger disks than the mobo BIOS will support.

    Now when you boot from the CD, it finds that the drive has been set up
    for DiskManager but the CD boot image isn't correctly configured to make
    use of it. Hence the error messages.

    Were you to try to restore the CDs to a drive that wasn't set up for
    DiskManager, it would probably work.

    The first big question is, does the system actually need DiskManager? If
    not, it can be removed and the restore re-attempted. This would lose all
    of the data on the hard drive, in all the partitions.

    Otherwise, it should be possible to find a way around this. I am
    concerned though that those were the only files on the CD - I was really
    expecting to find the pqi files somewhere.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  14. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    ===================

    > I think that I may be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. The
    > DiskManager has probably been installed on the hard drive in order to
    > support larger disks than the mobo BIOS will support.
    >
    > Now when you boot from the CD, it finds that the drive has been set up
    > for DiskManager but the CD boot image isn't correctly configured to make
    > use of it. Hence the error messages.
    >
    > Were you to try to restore the CDs to a drive that wasn't set up for
    > DiskManager, it would probably work.
    >
    > The first big question is, does the system actually need DiskManager? If
    > not, it can be removed and the restore re-attempted. This would lose all
    > of the data on the hard drive, in all the partitions.
    >
    > Otherwise, it should be possible to find a way around this. I am
    > concerned though that those were the only files on the CD - I was really
    > expecting to find the pqi files somewhere.

    =========================

    It makes me feel better that someone has a little grasp on the issue - I
    certainly don't :)
    When I do a search for disk manager nothing comes up - not in add/remove
    programs, nor anywhere on the hard drive using start>find - where is it and
    how could it be uninstalled ?
    Is it part of DI or perhaps Partition Manager or the WDD Hard Drive
    utilities called Data Lifeguard ?

    Do you think it's possible to make this DI work - or perhaps Uninstall it
    and Re-install ?

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  15. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > It makes me feel better that someone has a little grasp on the issue - I
    > certainly don't :)
    > When I do a search for disk manager nothing comes up - not in add/remove
    > programs, nor anywhere on the hard drive using start>find - where is it

    and
    > how could it be uninstalled ?
    > Is it part of DI or perhaps Partition Manager

    ** OOPS! I meant PartitionMagic (Not Manager) - I have DiskManager on the
    brain

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  16. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    I did not know there could be a relationship, so I didn't mention it before,
    but now that you're "seeing light at the end of the tunnel", and mention HD
    sizing, I did just add a second hard drive (120GB) to my original (20GB). My
    mobo is an Asus CUV4X but I cant see anything in the manual to limit hard
    drive size. I am not aware of Disk Manager in the installation process.

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  17. strand wrote:
    >>It makes me feel better that someone has a little grasp on the issue - I
    >>certainly don't :)
    >>When I do a search for disk manager nothing comes up - not in add/remove
    >>programs, nor anywhere on the hard drive using start>find - where is it

    > and
    >
    >>how could it be uninstalled ?
    >>Is it part of DI or perhaps Partition Manager

    > ** OOPS! I meant PartitionMagic (Not Manager) - I have DiskManager on the
    > brain
    >

    > or the WDD Hard Drive
    >
    >>utilities called Data Lifeguard ?
    >>
    >>Do you think it's possible to make this DI work - or perhaps Uninstall it
    >>and Re-install ?

    Ontrack DiskManager loads automatically when the drive is booted, see
    FAQs under:

    http://www.ontrack.com/diskmanager/

    As it loads, it provides an extension to the BIOS so that drives larger
    than the BIOS supports can be used.

    If the mobo can support the drive without it, the FAQ tells you how to
    remove it. It may be that a BIOS update to the mobo will make it
    unnecessary, even if it is needed at the moment.

    If the mobo cannot support the drive, even with the latest BIOS, then a
    special boot floppy will need to be made up. This willl correctly
    initialise the diskmanager software, so the drive is useable AND allow
    access to the CD image.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  18. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    > Ontrack DiskManager loads automatically when the drive is booted, see
    > FAQs under:
    >
    > http://www.ontrack.com/diskmanager/
    >
    > As it loads, it provides an extension to the BIOS so that drives larger
    > than the BIOS supports can be used.
    >
    > If the mobo can support the drive without it, the FAQ tells you how to
    > remove it. It may be that a BIOS update to the mobo will make it
    > unnecessary, even if it is needed at the moment.
    >
    > If the mobo cannot support the drive, even with the latest BIOS, then a
    > special boot floppy will need to be made up. This willl correctly
    > initialise the diskmanager software, so the drive is useable AND allow
    > access to the CD image.

    I dont get it because I havent got any such software installed to my
    knowledge. Where & how can it suddenly load when the drive is booted?

    I've had the 20GB drive installed since day one. The new 120 GB drive has
    just been added and still has nothing on it -zero. This is where the problem
    started when I wanted to back up my C:drive with DI prior to creating
    partitions on the new larger drive. And then I was planning on moving the
    entire drive over and removing the first hard disk to use elsewher.

    strand, Apr 12, 2004
  19. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    strand Guest

    Thanks to Palindr?me for helping to track down the source of the problem to
    Ontrack's Disk Manager which was automatically installed by the Western
    Digital software installation utility. DriveImage detects this installation
    (although it says it's not running) and displays error messages. I will now
    try to remove it and see.........

    --
    xx

    strand, Apr 12, 2004
  20. strand wrote:

    > Thanks to Palindr?me for helping to track down the source of the problem to
    > Ontrack's Disk Manager which was automatically installed by the Western
    > Digital software installation utility. DriveImage detects this installation
    > (although it says it's not running) and displays error messages. I will now
    > try to remove it and see.........
    >
    > --
    > xx

    Good luck. Do make sure that your mobo can handle the drive sizes you
    have without BIOS extensions. A mobo BIOS update may solve this.

    If it doesn't, you have the Drive image floppy. You can use this to
    create a bootable disk with suitable disk management added. You will
    need to go to the drive manufacturer's web site to get this (free)
    software if you don't already have it. You can then use the floppy to
    access the cd and restore the image. As I said, good luck!

    <snip Drive Image restore problem >

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 12, 2004