DriveImage error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Roger, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    I am trying to use DriveImage 2002 to clone my hard disk. But each time I
    run it I get the following error 91 and below is the knowledge base
    information from the web site:

    "When using a Symantec partitioning or drive-imaging program, you see the
    message "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu."
    Solution:
    If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can fix
    Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master Boot Record
    (MBR). "

    I don't use a disk manager and can't find one on my hard drive. Could it be
    the windows xp pro disk management in the Admin console? If so how do I
    disable it? The KB goes on to say:

    "If you determine it is OK to erase the Disk Manager signature, perform the
    following procedure:

    To erase the Disk Manager signature
    Copy the Wrprog.exe utility to the boot diskette.
    With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your computer.
    1.. Run Wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data that is contained in the
    hard disk's first head.
    To create the backup, type the following command at the command prompt:

    wrprog /bak head0.dat

    2.. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager signature
    from head 0 of the primary master drive. To do so, type the following:
    fdisk /cmbr 1, where the number 1 signifies the primary master drive.
    3.. Reboot the computer
    4.. The error should no longer occur. "
    I tried all that but still no joy. Could some expert please advise?
    Apologies for the long winded explanation but I'm not technical and don't
    know what other info may be required.
    My OS is winxp pro with SP2.

    Thanks

    Roger

    Roger, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Roger

    Guest Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to use DriveImage 2002 to clone my hard disk. But each
    > time I run it I get the following error 91 and below is the knowledge
    > base information from the web site:
    >
    > "When using a Symantec partitioning or drive-imaging program, you see
    > the message "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu."
    > Solution:
    > If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can
    > fix Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master
    > Boot Record (MBR). "
    >
    > I don't use a disk manager and can't find one on my hard drive. Could
    > it be the windows xp pro disk management in the Admin console? If so
    > how do I disable it? The KB goes on to say:
    >
    > "If you determine it is OK to erase the Disk Manager signature,
    > perform the following procedure:
    >
    > To erase the Disk Manager signature
    > Copy the Wrprog.exe utility to the boot diskette.
    > With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your
    > computer.
    > 1.. Run Wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data that is contained in
    > the hard disk's first head.
    > To create the backup, type the following command at the command
    > prompt:
    >
    > wrprog /bak head0.dat
    >
    > 2.. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager
    > signature from head 0 of the primary master drive. To do so, type the
    > following:
    > fdisk /cmbr 1, where the number 1 signifies the primary master drive.
    > 3.. Reboot the computer
    > 4.. The error should no longer occur. "
    > I tried all that but still no joy. Could some expert please advise?
    > Apologies for the long winded explanation but I'm not technical and
    > don't know what other info may be required.
    > My OS is winxp pro with SP2.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roger

    "Disk Manager" might be what is also called a drive overlay manager. It
    usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (master boot record, which is
    sector 0 of the first physical BIOS detected hard drive). It is used on
    computers where the BIOS does not support large drives (i.e., it
    provides the geometry translation that the BIOS lacks). If your BIOS
    doesn't support large drives and if you don't use the drive overlay
    manager then you don't get access to the full capacity of your hard
    drive.

    You can replace the MBR bootstrap code with the standard bootstrap
    program but doing so will render your drives inaccessible, lose
    partitions, severely reduce the usable space for your hard drive, and
    probably end up corrupting the data you have in those partitions. So
    first determine if you really do need the drive overlay manager.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Thanks Vanguard

    But when I was using fdisk and format it said that my BIOS supported large
    drives.
    It's an Award bios v6.0 and Asus chipset.
    Regards

    Roger

    Roger, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Roger

    old john Guest

    hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
    imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
    powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

    old john, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Roger

    Guest Guest

    "old john" <> wrote in message
    > hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
    > imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
    > powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

    Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
    Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost product.
    The latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage. Try
    visiting http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up. You can
    now pull your head out of your arse.

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005
  6. Roger

    Guest Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>

    >> "Disk Manager" might be what is also called a drive overlay manager.
    >> It usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (master boot record, which is
    >> sector 0 of the first physical BIOS detected hard drive). It is used
    >> on computers where the BIOS does not support large drives (i.e., it
    >> provides the geometry translation that the BIOS lacks). If your BIOS
    >> doesn't support large drives and if you don't use the drive overlay
    >> manager then you don't get access to the full capacity of your hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> You can replace the MBR bootstrap code with the standard bootstrap
    >> program but doing so will render your drives inaccessible, lose
    >> partitions, severely reduce the usable space for your hard drive, and
    >> probably end up corrupting the data you have in those partitions. So
    >> first determine if you really do need the drive overlay manager.

    When the BIOS' POST screen appears that lists the detected drives, check
    if the full capacity is listed. You don't want to boot the OS (which
    already loaded the drive overlay manager) and then run a disk utility
    that would involve the geometric translation from the drive overlay
    manager (i.e., you're checking the disk size too late).

    If the POST screen doesn't show you the drive size, or it scrolls off
    the top of the screen to show you the ESCD table, then hit the hotkey to
    enter your BIOS setup screens and look in its drive detection panel to
    see what size it reports for your drive. By going into the BIOS, the
    MBR bootstrap code (with the drive overlay manager) did not yet get
    loaded).

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Roger

    old john Guest

    thanks V..j

    old john, Apr 5, 2005
  8. Roger

    doS Guest

    and put yours in, because PQ 2002 wasn't Symantecs product........

    doS, Apr 5, 2005
  9. Roger

    Guest Guest

    "doS" <123@.456.ORG> wrote in message
    > and put yours in, because PQ 2002 wasn't Symantecs product........
    >
    > <Vanguard> wrote in message news:...
    >> "old john" <> wrote in message
    >>> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
    >>> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
    >>> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

    >> Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
    >> Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost
    >> product. The latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage.
    >> Try visiting http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up.
    >> You can now pull your head out of your arse.

    It is NOW!!! Geesh, what a dufus. Symantec bought Powerquest. That
    means ALL of Powerquest's product are now owned and supported by
    Symantec. The old versions, the new versions, the future versions, they
    all now belong to Symantec. Why do you think the OP mentioned visiting
    Symantec support pages to get help on DriveImage?

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005
  10. Roger

    doS Guest

    http://www.powerquest.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    here dufus jr., show me a dropped Ghost.......

    doS, Apr 5, 2005
  11. Roger

    Same place as http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/.

    > here dufus jr., show me a dropped Ghost.......

    And your point is? That is version 9. That is DriveImage renamed to
    Ghost. They dumped the old Ghost code. They got DriveImage in the
    Powerquest buyout. They are now using the DriveImage code. They
    renamed DriveImage to Ghost. Ghost 9 is not old Ghost. Ghost 9 *is*
    DriveImage renamed. Really that tough to understand? Why don't you go
    visit that page again. See the red blob right at the top that says,
    "Now with Drive Image technology"?

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Roger

    doS Guest

    harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    doS, Apr 6, 2005
  13. Roger

    Den Guest

    "old john" <> wrote in message news:<K0B4e.6322$>...
    > hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
    > imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
    > powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

    Hi Vanguard,

    Sorry didn't see your post in my OE NG. Only found it in google
    groups! That's OE for you!
    Didn't mean to start a war over this problem.
    I'm not sure about PQ & symantec. I have both Ghost & DriveImage. Both
    have different GUI and one says PQ the other Symantec. (Ghost vers 9.0
    & DriveImage 2002XP.

    So am still stuck with this problem of the drive manager.I wonder if
    it is the inbuilt windowsxp one and if so how do I disable it?
    Otherwise I shall ahve to ditch the two and go for something like
    DriveImager.
    I hear XXclone is also good but only in the beta stage and expires
    within 30 days. I want to keep my cloned image for the forseeable
    future in case I need to restore my hard drive to the way it is now.

    Regards

    Roger
    PS Apologies if I don't always answer promptly. MY OE doesn't always
    d/l the threads.

    Den, Apr 6, 2005
  14. Roger

    Guest Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    > "old john" <> wrote in message
    >> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
    >> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
    >> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

    > Hi Vanguard,
    >
    > Sorry didn't see your post in my OE NG. Only found it in google
    > groups! That's OE for you!
    > Didn't mean to start a war over this problem.
    > I'm not sure about PQ & symantec. I have both Ghost & DriveImage. Both
    > have different GUI and one says PQ the other Symantec. (Ghost vers 9.0
    > & DriveImage 2002XP.

    Ghost 9.0 is the "new" Drive Image code after Symantec bought
    Powerquest. The UI for Ghost 9.0 will not match DriveImage 2002 because
    Symantec wanted users to believe it is a Symantec product (which always
    means it was originally bought from someone else) and because some
    features were added above DriveImage. The old code for the old Ghost is
    dead (for the consumer product; don't know about the enterprise
    product). DriveImage, by that name, is dead but live on as the new
    codebase for Ghost 9.0 and on.

    > So am still stuck with this problem of the drive manager.I wonder if
    > it is the inbuilt windowsxp one and if so how do I disable it?
    > Otherwise I shall ahve to ditch the two and go for something like
    > DriveImager.

    Are you trying to run DriveImage from the installed copy on the hard
    drive and which run under the operating system (and probably in the same
    partition that you are trying to image)? I never like that setup. It
    still requires a reboot so DriveImage can load a different .dat file as
    a replacement for the partition's boot sector (same thing happens when
    you install and reboot into Recovery Console mode to use its
    \cmdcons\bootsect.dat file). But even that reduced functionality OS is
    still running from the same partition that you want to image. You
    really don't want any OS or application running in the partition that
    you want to image.

    Instead use the DriveImage program to have it create its rescue
    diskettes. This lets you book from those diskettes so you are running
    its DOS and running DI from there while your hard drive partition(s)
    remain dormant and static. I might use the hard drive installed copy of
    DI to image other partitions but I never use it to image the same
    partition from which it executes or from where the OS is running.

    If the target media for where you save the image fileset is NTFS then
    you might run into a different problem. The bootable rescue diskette
    (first one) loads a driver to support NTFS but the DOS on which it runs
    might be flaky when using NTFS. Ghost came with IBM-DOS (it did when I
    last trialed it) and it too often would cause a fail on a read for the
    NTFS driver from the NTFS partition. You would be 70% through the
    imaging and then it would abort with some error about not finding the
    image file in the NTFS partition (that is has been successfully finding
    for the 70% so far). DriveImage uses CalderaDOS on its bootable rescue
    diskette and it was less flaky as the OS on which the NTFS driver would
    access NTFS partitions to save the image fileset. Yet, sometimes it
    would report this error. Eventually I formatted a bootable floppy using
    MS-DOS, copied over the files from the one that DI created for its
    rescue diskette, and never again had a problem writing the image file to
    an NTFS partition.

    > I hear XXclone is also good but only in the beta stage and expires
    > within 30 days. I want to keep my cloned image for the forseeable
    > future in case I need to restore my hard drive to the way it is now.

    I've heard of other imaging software, like TrueImage. The problem with
    some imaging software is that they are actually *logical* backup
    programs. They must using the file system to *read* the files which
    they then save into their image fileset. When you restore, it is again
    a logical file read from the image fileset. You may logically get back
    what you had in the partition before but you won't physically get back
    the exact same image as before. Some of the logical imaging programs
    will also have problems with EFS (encrypted file system) protected
    files. The OS with your security certificate isn't there when the file
    is being logically restored (i.e., your EFS cert is not available to
    decrypt the file content to then re-encrypt it when written to the
    partition). It may read it okay because the EFS cert is available when
    using the OS to logically read the file through the file system. But
    you can't restore it. The old Ghost had this problem and Symantec's
    "cure" was for me to remove EFS from the protected files and folders,
    save the image, and reapply EFS to all those files and folders, and for
    an image restore I would have to reapply EFS to all those files and
    folders. No thanks. DriveImage doesn't read through the file system.
    It reads the sectors from the drive and then writes them back into those
    same sectors (unless you are moving partitions around but the relative
    sector addressing within the partition remains intact). You could make
    the old Ghost do physical imaging by using the /IA command-line
    parameter but then it saved all sectors, even the unused ones, so its
    image fileset was much larger than DriveImage's.

    XXclone looks to be yet another *logical* imaging program.

    > Regards
    >
    > Roger
    > PS Apologies if I don't always answer promptly. MY OE doesn't always
    > d/l the threads.

    Getting back to the "drive manager" error, as I mentioned in another
    post, simply boot and go directly into the BIOS setup screens to see if
    your BIOS support the full capacity of your drive. If not, you are
    probably using a drive overlay manager. If the full capacity is
    recognized by your BIOS, you aren't using a drive overlay manager (or it
    was installed along with the utilities included with the hard drive
    although it should not have been installed).

    The only other "drive manager signature" that I can think of are the
    signature bytes that are in the MBR of a drive. These are used to
    hopefully uniquely identify that drive regardless of how you cable it up
    (IDE 0 master or slave, IDE1 master or slave, SATA). If you move the
    drive to a different physical detection point, like changing it from
    master to slave or moving to a different IDE port, the OS (if capable)
    can locate that drive by its signature bytes in the MBR. That way, your
    drive lettering doesn't change because, say, you add another drive.
    Windows 2000/XP will use the signature bytes to track a drive in a
    system. You can use the DISKPART command-line utility to show the
    signature for each hard drive:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    detail disk
    exit

    The disk signature is shown in the "Disk ID" field in the output. You
    could select each disk and then show its details to see if the
    signatures had different values.

    The signature is a hash code and hash codes are not absolutely unique.
    It is possible that multiple drives within a system could have the same
    signature value, especially if the drives were cloned (and the MBR,
    which includes the disk signature bytes, was included in the cloning).
    You can run the Disk Management applet (diskmgmt.msc) and use the Rescan
    function to scan your hard drives. Maybe rescanning will ensure they
    have different signature byte values. If not, you'll have to go through
    the steps you mentioned to change the signature bytes (actually, I
    believe, it ends up zeroing them out which then has a new signature
    assigned when the OS boots up) - but you said you already tried that (it
    sounds like that is what you did) and it didn't work. Was the article
    you read about clearing out the disk signature the one from Symantec
    (http://makeashorterlink.com/?W39A515DA)? If you only have 1 hard drive
    in your system, disk signature bytes wouldn't be the cause of your
    problem. If you have more than 2 hard drives, you'll probably have to
    do what the Symantec article says about jumpering the drive.

    Did you ever use any boot manager programs on this drive, like BootMagic
    or BootIt NG? Those will replace the bootstrap code in the MBR and
    maybe DI is warning you that it detects a non-standard bootstrap program
    (you should have reverted to the standard bootstrap code after removing
    the boot manager). Also, some boot managers, like BootIt NG, will not
    only usurp the MBR's bootstrap area (first 460 bytes of sector 0) but
    also usurp the rest of track 0 which is normally unused for use by their
    boot manager program. Many boot managers are too big to fit within the
    460-byte MBR bootstrap area so the rest of the code has to go elsewhere.
    BootMagic puts in in a partition on the hard drive (and why it requires
    you have a DOS-recognizable FAT partition). BootIt NG usurps the rest
    of track 0 to slide the remainder of its boot manager program over there
    along with a big table it uses to define partitions. If you aren't
    using any boot managers, or you removed them (but maybe they were just
    deactivated instead of removed), you use use FIXMBR or "FDISK /MBR" to
    rewrite the MBR bootstrap area to inssert the standard bootstrap program
    there.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2005
  15. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Hi Vanguard

    Wow! Thanks for the very comprehensive reply. I am still trying to take it
    all in.

    I understand what you say about Drive Image and Ghost 9.0. And yes when I
    try using DI it starts up with Caldera DOS.
    BTW I boot from bootable floppies that DI 2002 created. This is to clone a
    windowsxp pro FAT32 partition.
    I checked the BIOS and it does support the full capacity of the drive. So
    guess the problem isn't there.
    FWIW I had previously partitioned the hard drive into 3 sections. One to run
    winxp and the other to run Linux with a swap drive. This worked well with
    Lilo. But due to other problems I removed linux and fdisked the HD to create
    only 2 partitions (C &D). C for winxp and D just a data drive.
    I had also run Fdisk /MBR to repair the boot sector....or so I thought!
    But still all to no avail. DI keeps insisting that there is a Disk Manager
    running and it's driving me up the wall.
    If as you say a 'drive overlay manager' has been inadvertently installed,
    how do I uninstall it?
    I checked the manufacturer's web site ( Western Digital) but either did not
    see anything or missed it.

    I certainly appreciate all your help and advise and time it must have taken
    you to write this explanation.

    Many, many thanks.

    Roger, Apr 7, 2005