Drivecrypt pre-boot auth versus multiple users

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nelis@orety.com, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello Everyone,
    I am browsing through Secustar's website checking all the features of
    Drivecrypt. I also have read some usenet archives about it.

    >From what I read I understood when I want to encrypt whole partition

    using pre-boot authentication, Drivecrypt does not store my password
    anywhere on HDD. It is not even storing its hash. When I enter my
    password Drivecrypt counts its hash and tries to use it as a key to
    decrypt partition. Thanks to this method noone is actually even able to
    read hash of the password. (I guess that prevents from an attack, when
    one could maybe develope his own version of decryption software and use
    hash stored on HDD to decrypt partition - and in this case there's no
    hash on HDD, so such an attack is not possible)

    On the other hand on Drivecrypt website they say, Drivecrypt supports
    admin password and multiple user passwords. I cannot imagine how it's
    being done? Which key is used for decryption? (has to be always the
    same key, hasn't it?)

    I probably misunderstood encryption/decryption method. Can anyone
    please be so kind and explain that to me?

    Thank you very much in advance,
    rafal urbanelis

    , Oct 11, 2005

  2. CRYPTO Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone,
    > I am browsing through Secustar's website checking all the features of
    > Drivecrypt. I also have read some usenet archives about it.

    Hi

    Buy a hardware hard drive encryption device 128 or 192 bit TDES,
    www.elkom.com.tw

    C.

    CRYPTO, Oct 23, 2005