    installed. Have tried to re-install 64 and also now have a mess where NTLDR
    is missing......duhhh...help!

    Can I reletter those drives and get NTLDR back?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBHdW5uZWxs?=, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Honestly - start over. First disconnect/remove ANY drive that you don't want
    to be used for the installation. Especially those USB ones. Then redo the
    install from scratch.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Many thanks Charlie. Once I've done that (am thinking of installing on a new
    drive), can I then re-insert the (current) drives and format them without
    being told I cant format ones with boot or system on them?

    Pete

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBHdW5uZWxs?=, Jul 9, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBHdW5uZWxs?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want the system to show as the C drive when you boot into it, it must
    be the active primary partition on your first hard drive in boot priority
    when you first boot your system. The other drives won't be the system or
    boot drives if you don't change the boot priority. Leave it with the drive
    you install on as the first hard drive and if you only have the one primary
    partition on it that will be your system and boot drive and you can happily
    reletter and repartition (as appropriate) the rest of the drives after they
    have been reconnected.

    John Barnes, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Thanks John, much appreciated. I cant do anything for a week or so, but I
    feel better now I know. Funny thing, age, you start to forget things and the
    confidence seeps away if not careful!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBHdW5uZWxs?=, Jul 9, 2006
  6. John is correct. Once you've established the new drive with it's drive
    letter, you should be fine. Make sure it stays as the first HD in the system
    BIOS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2006
  7. Many thanks Charlie - apologies for delay, been out of action for a few days.
    Regards
    Pete

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBHdW5uZWxs?=, Jul 14, 2006