Drive Letters XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr User, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Hi group

    I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB

    I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    partition i.e D: from above I assumed.

    When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:

    While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    is running.

    When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    will not allow me to change the drive assignment.

    Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

    Many thanks
    Mr User, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Mr User

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Hi group
    >
    > I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    > Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >
    > I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    > partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >
    > When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    > the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
    >
    > While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    > dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    > storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    > is running.
    >
    > When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    > will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >
    > Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    > XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
    >
    > Many thanks

    I don't think you can change the boot drive letter that XP resides on.

    And what's with XP 1 and XP 2? Was not XP 1 good enough?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Mr User

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 23:19:55 +0100, Mr User wrote
    (in article <fWWqg.87423$>):

    > Hi group
    >
    > I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    > Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >
    > I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    > partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >
    > When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    > the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
    >
    > While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    > dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    > storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    > is running.
    >
    > When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    > will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >
    > Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    > XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
    >
    > Many thanks

    I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
    same licence twice on the same computer.

    And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
    partition.

    Margolotta, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Mr User

    sittingduck Guest

    Mr User wrote:

    > I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    > Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >
    > I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    > partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >
    > When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    > the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
    >
    > While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    > dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    > storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    > is running.
    >
    > When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    > will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >
    > Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    > XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

    You won't be able to change the drive letters of the XP partitions. Your
    option is to re-install again, or use something like partition magic to
    resize the partition that XP 2 is on.
    sittingduck, Jul 6, 2006
  5. Mr User wrote:

    > Hi group
    >
    > I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    > Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >
    > I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    > partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >
    > When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    > the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:

    The installer of 2nd XP found two already existing drives and didn't know
    the letter assignment stored within the registry of #1.

    > While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    > dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    > storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    > is running.
    >
    > When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    > will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >
    > Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    > XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

    Actrually, yes, at least it's the easiest fix. You cannot change the
    assignment of a running system without causing major trouble.
    Though it may be possible to open the 2nd XPs registry and edit / change
    the "mounted devices" entries, it will confuse the 2nd XP upon next bootup,
    since a lot of paths are "hardcoded" when installed, and the OS might not
    even able to locate essential binaries later.
    Walter Mautner, Jul 6, 2006
  6. Margolotta wrote:

    > I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
    > same licence twice on the same computer.
    >
    > And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
    > partition.

    Oh, this is rich! I guess Usenet-news got sick enough of the millions
    of abuse complaints sent in about your posts! Now you have been banned
    from their service and need to use NewsDemon in order to spew your tripe
    on usenet. I notice Hogwasher is the client you use, it's quite
    appropriate since hogwash is all you post. Piss off, bitch. How many
    ISPs and usenet services need to ban you before you get the message that
    NOONE WANTS YOU HERE!!!
    remote control, Jul 6, 2006
  7. Mr User

    Jim Guest

    ****. You have plenty of bootlegged software.
    http://tinyurl.com/az88m

    Jim, Jul 6, 2006
  8. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E:
    >> 170GB
    >>
    >> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    >> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.

    > I don't think you can change the boot drive letter that XP resides on.
    >
    > And what's with XP 1 and XP 2? Was not XP 1 good enough?

    I use XP1 as the main boot drive and use XP2 as a sand box for trial
    software/drivers etc ... Meh it's my ball i'll do what I like with it ;)
    Mr User, Jul 6, 2006
  9. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Mr User wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group
    >>
    >> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    >> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >>
    >> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    >> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >>
    >> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    >> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
    >>

    > The installer of 2nd XP found two already existing drives and didn't know
    > the letter assignment stored within the registry of #1.
    >
    >> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    >> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    >> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    >> is running.
    >>
    >> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    >> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >>
    >> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    >> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
    >>

    > Actrually, yes, at least it's the easiest fix. You cannot change the
    > assignment of a running system without causing major trouble.
    > Though it may be possible to open the 2nd XPs registry and edit / change
    > the "mounted devices" entries, it will confuse the 2nd XP upon next bootup,
    > since a lot of paths are "hardcoded" when installed, and the OS might not
    > even able to locate essential binaries later.

    Thanks that was very helpful. I'll do just that and re-assign the drive
    letter of XP1 to match XP2. It's a pain though as I'm currently using
    XP1 as the sandbox which will be reinstalled soon and XP2 the problem
    installation are my working environment.

    Lesson learned.
    Cheers mate
    Mr User, Jul 6, 2006
  10. Mr User

    Margolotta Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:02:46 +0100, remote control wrote
    (in article <e8jbtv$5kv$>):

    > Margolotta wrote:
    >>
    >> I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
    >> same licence twice on the same computer.
    >>
    >> And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
    >> partition.
    >>

    >> --

    > Oh, this is rich! I guess Usenet-news got sick enough of the millions
    > of abuse complaints sent in about your posts!

    Can it, you spineless little maggot! I guess Ngroups investigated (if, indeed
    anyone complained) and didn't think the complaints worthy of merit (and,
    indeed they weren't because I have done nothing to violate their COS.) No,
    the reason I have had to change providers, though why I should be justifying
    it to a turd like you, I've absolutely no idea, is because I received the
    following in an email from Ngroups: -

    "We have for now removed PayPal as a payment option, since we, according to
    them, are selling services which are in violation to their service agreement.
    PayPal has disabled our account, so subscription payments are failing.
    We hope to have a solution to this soon."

    And, as I was paying via PayPal (no other choice) I could no longer pay for
    my subscription.

    So, carry on spreading what ever dirty little rumours you like about them
    banning me - the fact of the matter is the only method by which I could pay
    was removed so I had no choice but to find another provider. As soon as they
    resolve the situation with PayPal, I shall be returning to them as they are
    considerably cheaper than NewsDemon.

    >Now you have been banned from their service

    No, you pustule-ridden cuntflap, I haven't. See above. But do carry on with
    the conspiracy theory if it makes you feel any better.

    and need to use NewsDemon in order to spew your tripe
    > on usenet.

    Tripe? So it *IS* possible to change the active drive letter from within XP?
    Do, please, enlighten myself, Duane and, most importantly, Microsoft on how
    it's done (whilst leaving the drive bootable).

    I notice Hogwasher is the client you use, it's quite
    > appropriate since hogwash is all you post.

    Really? I've not seen you post anything worth reading. In fact, you're just
    worthy of kill-filing. If you don't want to read my posts - fine, kill-file
    me. But why would you bother - flaming me is the only thing that gives any
    meaning to your pathetic and worthless existence.

    >Piss off, bitch. How many ISPs and usenet services need to ban you

    Er, none, actually. I have never been banned from any ISP or NSP that I've
    used. Sorry to burst that particular bubble, but it's true. I have had six
    ISPs and we have left them all through choice (well, all bar one - and that
    was because the company went into liquidation).

    AOHELL was the first back in the dim and distant. Left because, well, we
    wised up.
    iaxnet - went into liquidation
    Madasafish - left due to poor service
    Virgin - left because we wanted broadband and they weren't offering it at the
    time.
    Freeserve - left because, frankly, they were charging way too much for a very
    poor level of service (£29.99pcm for 1Mbit, when other companies were
    charging that for 2).
    And now Eclipse, with whom we have an 8Mbit service for £29.99pcm and, after
    a few teething problems, we are very satisfied.

    And I've only ever had one NSP - Ngroups (apart from ND) - and I was forced
    to leave for the reason I've stated.

    But do keep posting your pathetic little theories, it really is most
    entertaining.

    >before you get the message that NOONE WANTS YOU HERE!!!

    Noone wants me here? Who's he - I've not met him.

    Margolotta, Jul 6, 2006
  11. Margolotta wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:02:46 +0100, remote control wrote
    > (in article <e8jbtv$5kv$>):
    >> Oh, this is rich! I guess Usenet-news got sick enough of the millions
    >> of abuse complaints sent in about your posts!

    > Can it, you spineless little maggot!

    I hit a soft spot there, eh?

    > I guess Ngroups investigated (if, indeed
    > anyone complained) and didn't think the complaints worthy of merit (and,
    > indeed they weren't because I have done nothing to violate their COS.) No,
    > the reason I have had to change providers, though why I should be justifying
    > it to a turd like you, I've absolutely no idea, is because I received the
    > following in an email from Ngroups: -

    Then why don't you show some self control and killfile me instead of
    responding with a tonne of lies?

    > "We have for now removed PayPal as a payment option, since we, according to
    > them, are selling services which are in violation to their service agreement.
    > PayPal has disabled our account, so subscription payments are failing.
    > We hope to have a solution to this soon."
    >
    > And, as I was paying via PayPal (no other choice) I could no longer pay for
    > my subscription.
    >
    > So, carry on spreading what ever dirty little rumours you like about them
    > banning me

    OK, my pleasure.

    > - the fact of the matter is the only method by which I could pay
    > was removed so I had no choice but to find another provider. As soon as they
    > resolve the situation with PayPal, I shall be returning to them as they are
    > considerably cheaper than NewsDemon. >
    >
    >> Now you have been banned from their service

    > No, you pustule-ridden cuntflap, I haven't. See above. But do carry on with
    > the conspiracy theory if it makes you feel any better.

    Wow, I must have hit a really soft spot since you now want to try to
    insult me with the very condition(s) you must suffer from.

    > and need to use NewsDemon in order to spew your tripe
    >> on usenet.

    <snip more tripe>

    > I notice Hogwasher is the client you use, it's quite
    >> appropriate since hogwash is all you post.

    > Really? I've not seen you post anything worth reading. In fact, you're just
    > worthy of kill-filing.

    You don't have the self control to do so.

    > If you don't want to read my posts - fine, kill-file
    > me. But why would you bother - flaming me is the only thing that gives any
    > meaning to your pathetic and worthless existence.
    >
    >>Piss off, bitch. How many ISPs and usenet services need to ban you

    > Er, none, actually. I have never been banned from any ISP or NSP that I've
    > used. Sorry to burst that particular bubble, but it's true. I have had six
    > ISPs and we have left them all through choice (well, all bar one - and that
    > was because the company went into liquidation).
    >
    > AOHELL <snip tripe>
    >
    > And I've only ever had one NSP - Ngroups (apart from ND) - and I was forced
    > to leave for the reason I've stated.

    PMSL! You mis-stated yourself, or lied . You mean a ton of usenet
    services and ISPs banned you, not none. Amazing the difference one
    letter in a word can make, eh?

    > But do keep posting your pathetic little theories, it really is most
    > entertaining.

    OK, if you insist.

    >> before you get the message that NOONE WANTS YOU HERE!!!

    > Noone wants me here? Who's he - I've not met him.

    Noone is a very special person in your life:

    - It's the only one who loves you
    - It's your one and only date for life
    - it's the only one happy to ever have you around
    - It's the only one who makes you happy
    - It's the only one who you are nice to ever!
    remote control, Jul 6, 2006
  12. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Margolotta wrote:
    <snip pedantic outburst>

    > You see, you did NOT "purchase the software" - you merely bought a licence
    > (that's right, *A* licence) to use it. The software, whether you like it or
    > not, is still wholly owned by MS.

    Well silly me let them try to take it back ... it'd mine end of story.
    Any complaints and I'll simply hack the bloody thing.

    > You will find the second installation will NOT activate. What are you going
    > to say to the CSR when you call?

    Oh what a shame it works just fine ... call? call who ;)
    Mr User, Jul 6, 2006
  13. Mr User

    rancid Guest

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Margolotta wrote:
    > <snip pedantic outburst>
    >
    >> You see, you did NOT "purchase the software" - you merely bought a
    >> licence (that's right, *A* licence) to use it. The software, whether you
    >> like it or not, is still wholly owned by MS.

    > Well silly me let them try to take it back ... it'd mine end of story. Any
    > complaints and I'll simply hack the bloody thing.
    >
    >> You will find the second installation will NOT activate. What are you
    >> going to say to the CSR when you call?

    > Oh what a shame it works just fine ... call? call who ;)

    You mustn't pay attention to Margolotta, Or Sarah Jayne Balfour as we all
    know her. She is totally addicted to the internet, and usenet in particular.
    She has no other life apart from posting provocative bullshit to usenet.
    She is a 30 yr old female from the UK.
    We know every detail of her futile existence.
    We have seen some of the pix of her, taken by users of a depression NG.
    She has a serious dental hygiene problem, and has only recently found
    a welfare state dentist to treat her, after 15 years!!!
    She has never been employed.
    She makes many claims of her "abilities", none of which hold up under
    scrutiny. She has claimed to have been a PC expert for 20 years -
    since she was 10?
    She has claimed to have been a teachers assisstant - She wasn't.
    She claims to be well travelled - she isn't.
    She claims to be competent with PC's, Mac's, Winodws etc, She isn't.
    She has never actually "owned" a computer,
    Her PC, and now her 10 month old Mac, were bought for her by her
    depressed and devolved parents.
    She has no social skills, she lacks any skills of any description!
    She alienates one and all.
    She lacks any interaction with anyone in the real world.
    She is very large.
    She is a welfare state scrounger.
    She claims to be a sufferer of ME - the non-existent ailment that was
    once termed "yuppie flu", a misnomer for fat lazy layabout?
    Just ignore the tubby Brit female who hasn't got a clue.
    rancid, Jul 6, 2006
  14. Mr User

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E:
    >>> 170GB
    >>>
    >>> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    >>> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.

    >> I don't think you can change the boot drive letter that XP resides on.
    >>
    >> And what's with XP 1 and XP 2? Was not XP 1 good enough?

    > I use XP1 as the main boot drive and use XP2 as a sand box for trial
    > software/drivers etc ... Meh it's my ball i'll do what I like with it ;)

    The ball may be too hot for you. You can't play with the ball and it's
    got you in trouble. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  15. Mr User

    Jim Guest

    LMFAO

    Jim, Jul 7, 2006
  16. Mr User

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:19:55 GMT, Mr User <> wrote:

    >Hi group
    >
    >I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
    >Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
    >
    >I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
    >partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
    >
    >When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
    >the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
    >
    >While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
    >dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
    >storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
    >is running.
    >
    >When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
    >will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
    >
    >Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
    >XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

    I had the same problem but with two hard drives. I have XP installed on both
    drives and can boot from either one by changing a setting in the bios.
    When I installed XP on the second drive it made the boot drive E:. It is possible
    to change that to C: in the registry but then XP won't boot. I fixed it by unplugging
    the secondary drive and reinstalling XP.
    My understanding of copyright laws is that you are allowed to install multiple copies
    as long as only one can be used at a time.
    It also should be possible to activate both copies since they are on the same computer.

    >Many thanks

    Barry
    =====
    Home page