    Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    The Stone Crusher, Jun 4, 2010

  2. The Stone Crusher

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Stone Crusher wrote:
    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support.

    You leave us making assumptions. I'll assume the following. In the
    beginning you had one internal hdd and that hdd had one partition and
    that hdd was a SATA drive not an IDE. That partition held your
    preinstalled OS which was XP (based on your OE version).

    Then, you bought another internal SATA drive which you also installed
    internally and you formatted that drive as a single partition. Somehow
    you failed to notice during the installation which sata your new and old
    hdd/s were on.

    Notice how many assumptions I am having to make because you didn't name
    your OS your sata/ide condition your partition condition or your
    internal vs external condition.

    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    If all of the above assumptions are true, I recommend that you switch
    the SATA connections on the mobo. You can confirm which drive is hooked
    up to what position by first looking at the BIOS post by either 'slowing
    it down' by using the pause button + enter + pause etc so that you can
    see how your bios 'names' your drives. -OR- you can use some key press
    that Dell tells you to see your BIOS setup.

    For example, my bios names my IDE hookups first, of which there is only
    one, the optical, and then it names my SATA drives next of which there
    are two.

    My bios calls the ide 'positions' primary master primary slave 3rd
    master 4th master (which 3&4 are actually SATAs).

    So, I can see which of my SATAs is in 3rd position and which is in 4th
    position. That 3rd vs 4th position condition is caused by which
    internal sata hdd data line is plugged into which position on the mobo.

    Apparently you have your new internal sata in the position on the mobo
    before your old internal sata - if the assumptions are in line.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 4, 2010

  3. The Stone Crusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can
    > be expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I
    > have a C: & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!!
    > I tried the Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter
    > and Paths. The first time it said it could not do it. The second
    > time it told me to make an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    > merge the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no
    > longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    Who cares? Does it work?

    You don't say what Operating system you're running either BTW.

    Driver letters are *only* of interest to the OS. If you don't have two
    the same is the only thing it cares about.

    Read and fix it yourself if you care.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234048

    Under BASIC Disk - Drive Letter Assignment Rules is the meat of it.
    But read it *all* if you don't know it.

    Then create the necessary primary and extended partitions yourself
    and run your restore disk

    You *will* have to completely erase the hard drive and reinstall to do
    so of course. That means *everything* not backed up.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 4, 2010
  4. Mike,

    Sorry for the incompleteness of my post. I bought a single SATA HD from
    Dell for my Inspiron 1525. The tech at Dell helped me install. I asked
    that their be two partitions. It ended up that the operating systerm was on
    E: & the other was C:
    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >> I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support.

    > You leave us making assumptions. I'll assume the following. In the
    > beginning you had one internal hdd and that hdd had one partition and

    NO! It had two partitions

    > that hdd was a SATA drive not an IDE. That partition held your
    > preinstalled OS which was XP (based on your OE version).
    >
    > Then, you bought another internal SATA drive which you also installed
    > internally and you formatted that drive as a single partition.

    NO! Only one drive

    Somehow
    > you failed to notice during the installation which sata your new and old
    > hdd/s were on.
    >
    > Notice how many assumptions I am having to make because you didn't name
    > your OS your sata/ide condition your partition condition or your internal
    > vs external condition.
    >
    >> Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    > If all of the above assumptions are true, I recommend that you switch the
    > SATA connections on the mobo. You can confirm which drive is hooked up to
    > what position by first looking at the BIOS post by either 'slowing it
    > down' by using the pause button + enter + pause etc so that you can see
    > how your bios 'names' your drives. -OR- you can use some key press that
    > Dell tells you to see your BIOS setup.
    >
    > For example, my bios names my IDE hookups first, of which there is only
    > one, the optical, and then it names my SATA drives next of which there are
    > two.
    >
    > My bios calls the ide 'positions' primary master primary slave 3rd master
    > 4th master (which 3&4 are actually SATAs).
    >
    > So, I can see which of my SATAs is in 3rd position and which is in 4th
    > position. That 3rd vs 4th position condition is caused by which internal
    > sata hdd data line is plugged into which position on the mobo.
    >
    > Apparently you have your new internal sata in the position on the mobo
    > before your old internal sata - if the assumptions are in line.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks for all the time you have spent on my behalf.
    Luke
    The Stone Crusher, Jun 5, 2010
  5. "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >> I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can
    >> be
    >> expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I have
    >> a C:
    >> & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!! I tried
    >> the
    >> Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    >> The
    >> first time it said it could not do it. The second time it told me to
    >> make
    >> an exception in the firewall.
    >>
    >> I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    >> merge
    >> the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no longer
    >> work.
    >>

    > I wouldn't use PM anymore. G-parted is better and less destructive.
    >
    >> Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >>
    >> Goodwill,
    >> Luke
    >>

    > Did you instal a new *stand-alone* drive replacing an old one?

    I completely replaced a defective SATA HD. I installed XP Pro

    > Or did you install an additional drive?
    > What OS?

    Thanks for your reply.
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Jun 5, 2010
  6. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can
    >> be expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I
    >> have a C: & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!!
    >> I tried the Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter
    >> and Paths. The first time it said it could not do it. The second
    >> time it told me to make an exception in the firewall.
    >>
    >> I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    >> merge the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no
    >> longer work.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >>

    > Who cares? Does it work?
    >
    > You don't say what Operating system you're running either BTW.
    >
    > Driver letters are *only* of interest to the OS. If you don't have two
    > the same is the only thing it cares about.
    >
    > Read and fix it yourself if you care.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234048

    I tried the above without success. It would not reassign the E drive (boot)

    The Stone Crusher, Jun 5, 2010
  7. The Stone Crusher

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Stone Crusher wrote:
    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support.

    This now means:

    I just *REPLACED* the SATA hdd of my Inspiron 1525, and in doing so, I
    partitioned the drive and then installed XP.

    Unfortunately, the result of my installation is that XP is installed on
    E: instead of C:

    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    I don't know how to do it any easier than formatting the partitions and
    reinstalling XP. It is a brand new install, so it shouldn't be any
    inconvenience. You could spend more time screwing around and making
    mistakes with tricky maneuvers than it would take to just do it over.

    I'm assuming that you have an XP install disk and that the installation
    data isn't an image on a hidden partition on the drive.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  8. The Stone Crusher

    freemont Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 22:03:48 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > If you don't have two the same is the only thing it cares about.

    Somebody translate this into English for me please, thanks.

    > That means *everything* not backed up.

    I think this *sentence*.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:
    freemont, Jun 5, 2010
  9. On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:08:35 -0400, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can be
    > expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I have a C:
    > & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!! I tried the
    > Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter and Paths. The
    > first time it said it could not do it. The second time it told me to make
    > an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to merge
    > the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    crusher, i had to reinstall, and a similar thing happened to me. i had
    installed to d:, i googled on it , and decided i didn't want to reinstall
    again, and so just use the drive d: does your windows boot up if you just
    let it do its thing? if you have trouble, try making sata the first boot
    drive in bios.

    you can change the drive numbers on any drive except the boot drive. there
    is a way, [ which i did not use ] shown here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
    i have not tried this, but have been using drive d: for a couple years

    6/4/2010 7:24:02 PM
    --
    Tommy
    my webpages : www.hal-pc.org/~toner27
    Tommy McClure, Jun 5, 2010
  10. The Stone Crusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As
    >>> can be expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the
    >>> partitions. I have a C: & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating
    >>> system is on E:!!! I tried the Computer Management/Disk
    >>> Management/Change Drive Letter and Paths. The first time it said it
    >>> could not do it. The second time it told me to make an exception in
    >>> the firewall.
    >>>
    >>> I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    >>> merge the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no
    >>> longer work.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >>>

    >> Who cares? Does it work?
    >>
    >> You don't say what Operating system you're running either BTW.
    >>
    >> Driver letters are *only* of interest to the OS. If you don't have
    >> two the same is the only thing it cares about.
    >>
    >> Read and fix it yourself if you care.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234048

    > I tried the above without success. It would not reassign the E drive
    > (boot)

    No. You remove *all* partitions and start from scratch with fdisk. By
    booting with your restore disk and hitting f8 on boot same as you would
    with normal windows startup. You then boot to dos to remove and then
    add the new partitions. You can't simply re-assign a drive letter to a
    partition in an extended partition. Read the link as I asked.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 5, 2010
  11. The Stone Crusher

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:08:35 -0400, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can be
    > expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I have a C:
    > & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!! I tried the
    > Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter and Paths. The
    > first time it said it could not do it. The second time it told me to make
    > an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to merge
    > the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Let me guess. You installed the new drive as "master".

    The original is probably on "cable select".

    Now remove both drives. Check the pin settings. Set the original to
    "master" and the new one to "slave".

    Now install only the original drive and boot up. If installed as "master"
    it should be properly labeled as the "C:" drive.
    Install the second drive and boot up again. You should the OS on the "C:"
    drive as it should be.

    --
    I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
    yourself.
    richard, Jun 5, 2010
  12. The Stone Crusher

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:08:35 -0400, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can be
    > expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I have a C:
    > & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!! I tried the
    > Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter and Paths. The
    > first time it said it could not do it. The second time it told me to make
    > an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to merge
    > the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Disregard my previous post. I misunderstood that you only have only one
    drive with two partitions.

    What I would at least attempt to do in that case, is to go into disk
    management and unpartition the drive completely. That is, merge the two
    together.

    richard, Jun 5, 2010
  13. The Stone Crusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can
    > be expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I
    > have a C: & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!!
    > I tried the Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter
    > and Paths. The first time it said it could not do it. The second
    > time it told me to make an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    > merge the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no
    > longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?

    Because you didn't mention you were running SATA - crap IMHO - that
    changes things, possibly a *lot*. You *have* to remove all partitions on
    that drive along with physically remove *any* other hard drives in the
    system if there are any. You then create 1 (one *only) primary dos
    partition on that one drive. It doesn't have to use the full space. You
    use that partition to install the OS, If it doesn't come up as drive c:,
    it's because the CD/DVD rom drives are lettered before SATA and the only
    way to avoid that is to go IDE or SCSI. A later drive letter will be in
    an extended dos partition (I know strange name, but it still is called
    that) in which you can have one primary and a number of secondary
    partitions. The first letter will be assigned to that second primary and
    so on with the secondaries.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 5, 2010
  14. The Stone Crusher

    thanatoid Guest

    freemont <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 22:03:48 +0000, chuckcar writ:
    >
    >> If you don't have two the same is the only thing it cares
    >> about.

    > Somebody translate this into English for me please, thanks.

    As long as partitions all have individual letter names, ie
    without doubles, it doesn't matter to the system.

    >> That means *everything* not backed up.

    > I think this *sentence*.

    Don't be such a smartass and read it in context. Of course it
    makes only /some/ sense like this.

    --
    Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
    as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas
    thanatoid, Jun 5, 2010
  15. The Stone Crusher

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > You can't simply re-assign a drive letter to a
    > partition in an extended partition. Read the link as I asked.

    So, then how do you explain thefollowing:

    Start>Programs>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk
    Management. Right click on a drive in the column Volume and one of the
    options is to Change Drive Letter, and Paths.

    The OP himself even stated that he had tried to use the exact program and
    option above and it failed, for some reason.

    > Read and fix it yourself if you care.

    This link?

    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234048

    That only applies to Windows 2000 as it clearly states at the top of the
    article. It also states that support for Windows 2000 ends in five weeks. If
    the OP is using the above options then the OP is most certainly *NOT* using
    Windows 2000.

    If the OP were to take the advice given in that article, or rather *try* go
    take the advice given in that article on his, presumably XP, system, there
    is a very good chance of stuffing it right up.

    As usual your advice is blood dangerous.
    rf, Jun 5, 2010
  16. The Stone Crusher

    chuckcar Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in

    >> Read and fix it yourself if you care.

    > This link?

    > That only applies to Windows 2000 as it clearly states at the top of
    > the article. It also states that support for Windows 2000 ends in five
    > weeks. If the OP is using the above options then the OP is most
    > certainly *NOT* using Windows 2000.

    No, it applies to *any* system running NTFS - which has been *all* MS
    operating systems since XP came on the market. And it applied to everything
    back to dos 3.3 as well.

    > If the OP were to take the advice given in that article, or rather
    > *try* go take the advice given in that article on his, presumably XP,
    > system, there is a very good chance of stuffing it right up.
    >
    > As usual your advice is blood dangerous.

    lol. This from a guy who blew his computer because he didn't know enough
    not to unplug his keyboard while it was turned on.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 5, 2010
  17. chuckcar wrote:

    > No, it applies to *any* system running NTFS - which has been *all* MS
    > operating systems since XP came on the market.

    Ahem. Are you forgetting Windows NT 3.1 from 1993 (and all NT family)?
    Yes, of course you are...

    But hey ... you were *partially* correct!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 5, 2010
  18. The Stone Crusher

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "rf" <> wrote in
    >

    >>> Read and fix it yourself if you care.

    >> This link?

    >> That only applies to Windows 2000 as it clearly states at the top of
    >> the article. It also states that support for Windows 2000 ends in five
    >> weeks. If the OP is using the above options then the OP is most
    >> certainly *NOT* using Windows 2000.
    >>

    > No, it applies to *any* system running NTFS -

    No, Chucktard, It does not.

    > which has been *all* MS/
    > operating systems since XP came on the market.

    Then explain how I have an XP system running on a disk that is formatted
    FAT.

    > And it applied to everything
    > back to dos 3.3 as well.

    No, chucktard, it does not.

    >> If the OP were to take the advice given in that article, or rather
    >> *try* go take the advice given in that article on his, presumably XP,
    >> system, there is a very good chance of stuffing it right up.
    >>
    >> As usual your advice is bloody dangerous.
    >>

    > lol. This from a guy who blew his computer because he didn't know enough
    > not to unplug his keyboard while it was turned on.

    Oh yes, I remember that thread. You have me mistaken for somebody else. I am
    the one who unplugs and replugs keyboards all the time. And disk drives. And
    PCI cards. And have never had a computer fail because of it. Remember? No,
    I didn't think you did.
    rf, Jun 5, 2010
  19. The Stone Crusher

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 21:30:32 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Oh poof, this is where chickenshit chucktard the troll vanishes.

    Would be nice if he stayed vanished.
    Maybe someone could varnish him .
    joevan, Jun 5, 2010
  20. The Stone Crusher

    FlyerUK Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > I have just installed a new HD with the help of Dell Support. As can
    > be expected, it is all f**ked up. The problem is the partitions. I
    > have a C: & E: . . . you guessed it, the operating system is on E:!!!
    > I tried the Computer Management/Disk Management/Change Drive Letter
    > and Paths. The first time it said it could not do it. The second
    > time it told me to make an exception in the firewall.
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8. I have tried with this. I even tried to
    > merge the two partitions. It would merge but indicated it would no
    > longer work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple solution? any solution?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    either live with it, since it's not doing any harm, or re-install your
    Operating System, presumably Windoze? You can't rename the drive the system
    is on, since all it's files are referenced to that drive letter, in this
    case, E. If you were to rename it to C, it wouldn't be able to find its
    files ;-)

    P.
    FlyerUK, Jun 5, 2010