Drive letters and semi-ranDUMB scrambling

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2013.

  1. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    My master HD is setup as follows: Part #1 DOS = C:WIN98SE; Part #2
    (extended DOS) = D:WORK, E:DEVEL; Part #3 DOS = F:MASTER; Part #4 NTFS =
    G:WIN2K.
    Drive letters are always this order when it is the only drive.
    If i plug in a copy (Primary Slave), the Primary Master as described
    above almost always remains as stated.
    BUT.
    Once in a while,drive letters get scrambled and the first drive will
    no longer boot by itself as letters are then HD1 = J,C,D,E,N;
    HD2=F,K,L,M,G (name order is retained).
    So far, i have found it impossible to recover a scrambled drive for
    booting by itself.

    DOS has a command SUBST for substituting a drive letter for another
    (or a folder).
    Well, now is there something like this that can be executed during
    boot before completion of loading all of the Windoze stuff?
    Alternately, a program that will ENFORCE drive letters that can be
    executed during boot before completion of loading all of the Windoze stuff?
    Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Drive letters and semi-ranDUMB scrambling/MORE#1

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > My master HD is setup as follows: Part #1 DOS = C:WIN98SE; Part #2
    > (extended DOS) = D:WORK, E:DEVEL; Part #3 DOS = F:MASTER; Part #4 NTFS =
    > G:WIN2K.
    > Drive letters are always this order when it is the only drive.
    > If i plug in a copy (Primary Slave), the Primary Master as described
    > above almost always remains as stated.
    > BUT.
    > Once in a while,drive letters get scrambled and the first drive will no
    > longer boot by itself as letters are then HD1 = J,C,D,E,N; HD2=F,K,L,M,G
    > (name order is retained).
    > So far, i have found it impossible to recover a scrambled drive for
    > booting by itself.
    >
    > DOS has a command SUBST for substituting a drive letter for another (or
    > a folder).
    > Well, now is there something like this that can be executed during boot
    > before completion of loading all of the Windoze stuff?
    > Alternately, a program that will ENFORCE drive letters that can be
    > executed during boot before completion of loading all of the Windoze stuff?

    Once, i accidentally had a floppy that had one .GIF file in the drive
    at boot time.
    Got error message like NTLDR not found; the only way that could
    possibly show is if the boot sequence was initially DIFFERENT than that
    set by the BIOS: it read the hard drive Part#1 = C:Win98SE first then
    the floppy.
    This may give a clue as what might be done to enforce drive letters
    BEFORE full boot.
    Robert Baer, Feb 26, 2013