Drive letter on Partition is gone

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ritter197, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    My daughter just called me from out of town and said that her folders are
    all empty in Outlook Express. She is missing all her incoming, sent mail.

    She is sure that it was fine yesterday Dec 23,2004.

    So I told her (she is using windows xp,) to use Restore to yesterday.

    She tried that and it came up that it could not restore the Virtual F drive
    because it was stopped from being on the Restore option.

    So she Restore still to the 23rd of Dec. and still her Messages are gone.

    I then asked her to try the 22nd and she did that with same result. It
    always said it could not restore F drive but otherwise restored
    successfully.

    Yet - again her messages are not there.

    I have 2 questions, Because I never had problems with Restore myself.
    HOW can 1 drive be "stopped" from being on the Restore file? How can you
    stop or "un-stop" it ? Where?

    She did a Virus check with NOD32 and finds no viruses.
    She did a Search and Destroy and finds no problems there.

    What do you think happened? I am at this time clueless.

    Ritter197, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Ritter197

    Thor Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter just called me from out of town and said that her folders are
    > all empty in Outlook Express. She is missing all her incoming, sent mail.
    >
    > She is sure that it was fine yesterday Dec 23,2004.
    >
    > So I told her (she is using windows xp,) to use Restore to yesterday.
    >
    > She tried that and it came up that it could not restore the Virtual F
    > drive
    > because it was stopped from being on the Restore option.
    >
    > So she Restore still to the 23rd of Dec. and still her Messages are gone.
    >
    > I then asked her to try the 22nd and she did that with same result. It
    > always said it could not restore F drive but otherwise restored
    > successfully.
    >
    > Yet - again her messages are not there.
    >
    > I have 2 questions, Because I never had problems with Restore myself.
    > HOW can 1 drive be "stopped" from being on the Restore file? How can you
    > stop or "un-stop" it ? Where?

    "virtual" drives are not normally monitored by system restore, and in any
    case her email messages would not normally reside on such a drive.
    Furthermore, even if they were on such a drive, system restore does not
    restore email messages. It only rolls back certain system-critical files.
    Email messages are "user files" and aren't affected or backed up by system
    restore.

    > She did a Virus check with NOD32 and finds no viruses.
    > She did a Search and Destroy and finds no problems there.
    >
    > What do you think happened? I am at this time clueless.

    her OE folders were probably corrupted due to a program error, or she is
    logged into OE as a different "identity", or her default identity has been
    corrupted. There are tools that may help try and recover the missing email
    messages. Search the various sites like download.com and see if you can find
    something.

    Thor, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Ritter197

    Wizard Guest

    OE gets very weird when the total of emails is greater than 500.

    Wizard, Dec 27, 2004